Mike Riley's Staff

At this point, I'm pretty much used to non-splash hires, so bring on the rest of the Oregon State staff! I'm sure 5-7 in Corvallis = B1G Championship in Lincoln. Exactly ZERO things have gone the way we have wanted them too, and even the ones defending this guy are really grasping at straws/forcing it. 'Just give him a chance, guys.' Really? That's where we're at?

In my mind this is absolutely as much of a gamble, if not more so, than getting a Frost/Cutcliffe/Herman/Johnson/Pick A Name.

Not a Pelini guy, either. Just calling a spade a spade. Should have thrown as much money as it took at Tressel, and our school, brand, excitement - would have skyrocketed. But no. We get Mr. Rogers AND his ragtag gang.

Not sold on him at all, but I hope he's the guy. Prove me wrong, Riley. Rub it in my face, rest of the board, and I'll eat that crow with a smile. But until then, I'll be a hopeful, but Doubting Thomas.

• Fire 5

At this point, I'm pretty much used to non-splash hires, so bring on the rest of the Oregon State staff! I'm sure 5-7 in Corvallis = B1G Championship in Lincoln. Exactly ZERO things have gone the way we have wanted them too, and even the ones defending this guy are really grasping at straws/forcing it. 'Just give him a chance, guys.' Really? That's where we're at?

In my mind this is absolutely as much of a gamble, if not more so, than getting a Frost/Cutcliffe/Herman/Johnson/Pick A Name.

Not a Pelini guy, either. Just calling a spade a spade. Should have thrown as much money as it took at Tressel, and our school, brand, excitement - would have skyrocketed. But no. We get Mr. Rogers AND his ragtag gang.

Not sold on him at all, but I hope he's the guy. Prove me wrong, Riley. Rub it in my face, rest of the board, and I'll eat that crow with a smile. But until then, I'll be a hopeful, but Doubting Thomas.

I was like what.... When hiring Riley... Then the more I read about him the more I liked... Especially hearing he wanted to u university to open up the checkbook for coordinators... But if he just brings his staff..... Wtf

Just give ur 5-7 team a pay raise... C'mon man. Go get some people... Be a CEO or GTFO

• Fire 1

Riley is excellent for the face of our football program and from a PR standpoint but can he produce the wins we are expecting? I'm very nervous. And I don't like the idea of shipping over more than half of the osu staff that has been anywhere from 3-9 to 9-4. I just really don't want us to be wishing we had Bo in 3 years to give us 9-10 wins. I almost feel bad for Riley because he said he's never been here before and obviously he's a great person, but if he doesn't get the where we need to be then it will come down on him and I'd hate for his career to end with nebraska fans shoving him out the door.

These coaches have more football knowledge in their pinky finger than most....most...of husker nation combined. But yeah, i was shocked they hired him, then pleasantly surprised w it, now kinda like "wth" w his previous staff moving over here.

Hope it works out.

It sounds like Riley & co have had their hands full basically since this thing has been set in motion. I would've liked to see maybe all of the recruits called or (!!!) emailed within the first 48 hours, but between flying back and forth, meeting the team, holding the press conference, and assembling the staff...there's really been a lot to do.

And it does sound like some of the recruits at least were aware of what's going on. Bussey was understood to be waiting on the announcement of a RB coach I think, right?

From what I've seen posted about Orgeron, it sounds like he's a loud-mouthed horses ass. Why would we hire a mild-mannered Bruce Wayne type coach to replace Mean Bo Pelini , then follow that with the Ogre? It goes against everything they've said about the Osborne style coaching philosophy they want to return to.

From what I've seen posted about Orgeron, it sounds like he's a loud-mouthed horses ass. Why would we hire a mild-mannered Bruce Wayne type coach to replace Mean Bo Pelini , then follow that with the Ogre? It goes against everything they've said about the Osborne style coaching philosophy they want to return to.

most of toms staff was loud mouthed horses asses too you know.
  • Fire 2

The only way this hire makes any sense is if there is a super staff surrounding him. If its just a so-so staff, with a so-so coach, our on the field product will be so-so. Im very nervous.

I wonder what coach we would've been OK with a so-so staff?

My concern is Riley's ability to put together a good staff. I dont think anyone would doubt someone like Tressel or other PROVEN commodities would have enough pull to bring in a solid staff. My major concern is Riley's ability.

The last person we want is Tressel with his NCAA violations

Now all we need is Kevin Steele for DC and Ed Orgeron on the d-line. We need a new TE coach unless the WR guy handles both duties and I think Brown will be retained. He's got a ton of experience more than the other guys he's bringing in. I'm assuming Riley will be more or less the QB Coach and person who calls plays like he did at OSU. It would be nice to get an actual QB coach though. Is Zac Taylor still coaching???

Question here. Since Steele was confirmed to have been contacted; Banker confirmed to be as a coach (whether as position or DC is unknown); Orgeron having interest in a Nebraska job and having known Riley (also had a 'crystal ball' for him coming to Nebraska but could've been nothing more than a test since that feature is more or less in beta); and Warren already be being on staff, out recruiting, and hopeful he'll stay on staff, how do these parts fit?

Areas of Expertise-

Steele- DC, LB, RC

Orgeron- DC, DL, RC

Banker- DC, CB/S

Warren- DC, CB/S, RC

With Bray being the first OSU coach to have been confirmed coming to Nebraska, it would seem Steele wasn't contacted to be a LB coach. Unless Steele was Riley's first choice at the job but he declined. Any insight on this?

Edit- I also don't really see any of them being just the RC except Orgeron if he can't find another job. But I think that is unlikely.