The Mike Riley Presser

knapplc

Expectations for Mike Riley as of 12/5/14:[/size]

1. Must get to a bowl game every year (2015 may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)

2. Play for and WIN a conference title in the next 3 years.

3. Be in the playoff once in the next 5 years.

Considering that we were 2 incomplete passes from playing in Indy this weekend, I'd venture to say that this staff has 2 years to win the conference and be in the playoffs.

The talent is there. The resources are there. The fan base is there. The program is in great shape, it just needs a shift in culture.

Wrong. That 59-24 game would've still kept us out of Indy.

Expectations for Mike Riley as of 12/5/14:[/size]

1. Must get to a bowl game every year (2015 may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)2. Play for and WIN a conference title in the next 3 years.3. Be in the playoff once in the next 5 years.

Considering that we were 2 incomplete passes from playing in Indy this weekend, I'd venture to say that this staff has 2 years to win the conference and be in the playoffs.

The talent is there. The resources are there. The fan base is there. The program is in great shape, it just needs a shift in culture.

And we were one ass saving run by Ameer from losing to a FCS team and 408 yds away from the playoffs.

True. And I'm hoping that a shift in culture and defensive philosophy will cure those ills.

Expectations for Mike Riley as of 12/5/14:[/size] 1. Must get to a bowl game every year (2015 may be tough sledding, but it is a must given the pile of crap division we are in)2. Play for and WIN a conference title in the next 3 years.3. Be in the playoff once in the next 5 years.

Considering that we were 2 incomplete passes from playing in Indy this weekend, I'd venture to say that this staff has 2 years to win the conference and be in the playoffs.The talent is there. The resources are there. The fan base is there. The program is in great shape, it just needs a shift in culture.

Wrong. That 59-24 game would've still kept us out of Indy.

I stand corrected. But 11~1 would stil look pretty nice and shows that the pieces are in place.

Wait. What? He wants experts at the staff positions? Who is this guy?

Wait, so no more golf instructors coaching WRs??

I'd keep Fischer in a heartbeat. He's the second best coach on the staff behind Ron Brown.
I'd much rather he brings Garrett with him to coach WRs/TEs. I don't know if he'd want to be a position coach, though.

I think the bottom line is that most of us on this board will be excited if we see a proven pair of coordinators.

That this was lacking by Bo is undisputed by probably, what? 98% of our fan base? So if Riley gets that far, he'll have my backing for sure.

Agreed hopefully coordinator are in place by Tuesday at the very latest. Get the whole staff rounded out by this time next week.

I think the bottom line is that most of us on this board will be excited if we see a proven pair of coordinators.

That this was lacking by Bo is undisputed by probably, what? 98% of our fan base? So if Riley gets that far, he'll have my backing for sure.

Bo's problems were deeper than coordinators. S and C, recruiting (initially), US v. the world come to mind.

• Fire 1

I think you should really ask yourself why it was that kept us in contention for anything. Why did we continually lose games?

Turnovers. Mental Mistakes. Execution.

I touched upon this in another thread, but I watched Minnesota beat us twice already. However, they didn't do ANYTHING special. Nothing. No trick plays, no new concepts. They just plain lined up and executed. Why?

For one, they had ZERO turnovers against us, and one penalty. That penalty could have been costly, considering it was late in the game and we could have won with the game winning TD, however, we didn't. Minnesota forced a fumble, and they won. With less talent...

Jerry Kill and his staff has something that Bo and his staff has. Nobody can explain it, and it is far from a knock on Bo and his staff... But some coaches just plain play clean, sound football and they execute better. Let's not make this about Bo, please. What this is about is that our teams couldn't get out of our own way.

Some guys just plain have a knack for coaching a team to stay out of their own way. Jerry Kill has it. And this guy has it.

If we can get a coach that has the knack for coaching our team, our players to stay out of their own way. To not make so many mental mistakes. I see a HUGE difference for our team. We can talk scheme all we want. But every single scheme out there works great when you have execution. From some reason, and nobody has the true answer, Bo's teams couldn't execute.

I'll leave this statistic as some sort of proof. It's not much, but it's something.

Nebraska's TO margin this year is -2. And that's a good year for us! One year we turned the ball over 35 times. This year we turned it over 24 times.

Oregon State TO margin this year is +4. They turned the ball over a total of 14 times.

I know A LOT of you are going to point your fingers at individual players. Of course, I know a lot of you are going to point to Tommy. But remember, this is a team game. If Tommy didn't feel rushed in his passes this year, due to poor blocking (and just plain not blocking at all) he doesn't throw so many Ints. Remember, Minnesota has a joke of QB.

Sometimes you just need that knack to get over the hump of problems that we have had. Bo didn't have it. I have a very strong feeling that Mike Riley does.

• Fire 2

These are just my raw emotions. Please, don't flame.

I feel like Eichorst just hired a guy that is un-fireable due to his niceness. Like, he's fire-proof.

This feels like an admission that domination on the field is a thing of the past, and the only thing left to cling to is some kind of ethereal spirit of Tom Osborne's "niceness." It was like Riley forced himself to say "...and win championships, too" in the presser.

For the record, Mike - The booster illuminati will eat you alive, one way or the other. <---Those are not MY feelings towards Mike, but is the reality of the situation if he doesn't win conference titles.

I think he is stepping into a pretty difficult situation. We fired a guy who won 9+ games each year and had people on both sides of the issue. The Callahan/Pelini transition went much easier because almost everyone was done with BC. This transition will be a little tougher because there were still strong supporters of Bo....perception.

The hire was nothing anyone thought so of course people are going to be nervous about this hire.

The more I keep reading and hearing about this cat, I am pretty excited. I have to disagree with you that he will be eaten alive by the illuminati. The players will back this dude and he will bring in some solid coaches....I really hope!

Stay the course my man!!!

I dont think there were that many Bo supporters left. Whats going to make this transition difficult is the hire itself. We would all be singing a different tune had we landed a proven winner. We got the exact opposite and now everyone is "hoping" what we did is right. "Hope" is not a strategy (unless you are running for president). By making this hire the pressure cooker just got hotter for the simple fact that this guy is coming into an environment now were people are already skeptical. At the first sign of trouble this thing is going to turn on its head. Had we hired a proven winner that would not be the case.

Again, I hope I am wrong.

But you're making the assertion that Mike Riley isn't a proven winner. Given the significant disadvantages Oregon State faced in the Pac-12--probably the less talented team when compared to all but 2 or 3 teams (Wazzu, Colorado, maybe Utah), 93-80 is pretty solid, and a record I don't believe BP could have achieved. Mike is now the head coach at Nebraska, a team that talent wise, is probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the conference (Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State) but coaching wise probably had one of the worst staffs in the conference.

It is within reason to assume that Mike will come in here and win. He has all the intangibles and now has the resources.

I am making the assertion Mike Riley isnt a proven winner based on his record of past performance. You are making the assertion he is a winner by including a bunch of excuses in order to arrive at the hope he will do well. All I'm saying is we are at a point in this programs history where taking an unkown was not a wise decision.

I hope I'm wrong.

I'd keep Fischer in a heartbeat. He's the second best coach on the staff behind Ron Brown.

The DL coach needs to stay as well along with these two. Best positions on our team are RB, DL, WR, in that order.

I'd much rather he brings Garrett with him to coach WRs/TEs. I don't know if he'd want to be a position coach, though.

It might depend if the position at NU pays more than a OC at OSU

• Fire 1