Riley, Nebraska, and Recruiting

Junior

So in the $800,000 rough dollars we spend on recruiting, was there not enough left over for Riley to make a phone call or two to the recruits we already had? Has he already given up any chance on them or has Harvey really clamped down on discretionary spending in the Athletic Dept.?

Dude, you guys need to cool it a bit on the calling recruits thing. Dude just got announced and had a press day on Friday. He's probably assembling his staff before he starts contacting recruits. He'll want to be able to introduce their position coach. Doesn't really help re-assure a recruit when he asks "so who's my coach" and you tell him "Ummmm.......I'm not sure yet."

When recruits start tweeting about not being contacted yet, its a problem. They've already flipped one of the OSU guys and offered another, but they don't have time to call our current commits? That's unacceptable.

"Hey Kendall, its Coach Riley, just wanted to call and reassure you that your scholarship here at Nebraska is still going to be honored. It has been a little hectic the last couple of days and Im still trying to get the staff assembled but as soon as I do, you will get a call from your position coach. I look forward to talking to you more in the coming days and weeks and I can't wait to meet you in person. Have a great day!"

Now how hard is that?

Maybe we don't want Kendall now as the offense is likely to be drastically different.

So in the $800,000 rough dollars we spend on recruiting, was there not enough left over for Riley to make a phone call or two to the recruits we already had? Has he already given up any chance on them or has Harvey really clamped down on discretionary spending in the Athletic Dept.?

Dude, you guys need to cool it a bit on the calling recruits thing. Dude just got announced and had a press day on Friday. He's probably assembling his staff before he starts contacting recruits. He'll want to be able to introduce their position coach. Doesn't really help re-assure a recruit when he asks "so who's my coach" and you tell him "Ummmm.......I'm not sure yet."

When recruits start tweeting about not being contacted yet, its a problem. They've already flipped one of the OSU guys and offered another, but they don't have time to call our current commits? That's unacceptable.

"Hey Kendall, its Coach Riley, just wanted to call and reassure you that your scholarship here at Nebraska is still going to be honored. It has been a little hectic the last couple of days and Im still trying to get the staff assembled but as soon as I do, you will get a call from your position coach. I look forward to talking to you more in the coming days and weeks and I can't wait to meet you in person. Have a great day!"

Now how hard is that?

Maybe we don't want Kendall now as the offense is likely to be drastically different.

Then we'd be stupid

• Fire 3

I think that the new staff is going to find out that recruiting to Lincoln isn't easy. May be more difficult than what they're used to.

Recruiting to Corvallis is far more difficult when you take into consideration the town, facilities, fan support and other resources. Lincoln is going to be easier to recruit to.

I understand.

But when you look at the level of recruits they were after at corvallis compared to what we need to win championships here. It's a leap.

Let us not forget that they are a few hours from California, and we have limited number of quality recruits in the 500 mile radius.

You don't think the full-time recruiters have called the recruits and explained the situation? Some of those guys were sold on Bo or just soft commits......that's what happens when you fire a coach........a 9-3 or 10-3 coach. Maybe we can change our attitude and send them positive thoughts about the complete upheaval of their recruiting process?

Another thing.......about a week ago he was recruiting for Oregon State.........this offer came out of left field.....even he thought it was weird.

@Coach_Riley: Got to speak with some future #Huskers tonight, excited to hit the road and get to recruiting! #GBR

It's pretty obvious people are jumping to conclusions and going overboard with the not calling recruits thing. Riley is a seasoned coach and he is not going to ignore players that are already committed to NU, that would just make his job harder, but also he is not going to call them before he gets a chance to see what they are about and how they will fit into what he wants to do with his offense and defense. Every national analyst is raving about how good of a hire this is and how good and innovative of a recruiter Riley is. Everybody needs to just take a breath and see what this guy is about, what he can get done, and enjoy the ride.

• Fire 4

@Coach_Riley: Got to speak with some future #Huskers tonight, excited to hit the road and get to recruiting! #GBR

It's pretty obvious people are jumping to conclusions and going overboard with the not calling recruits thing. Riley is a seasoned coach and he is not going to ignore players that are already committed to NU, that would just make his job harder, but also he is not going to call them before he gets a chance to see what they are about and how they will fit into what he wants to do with his offense and defense. Every national analyst is raving about how good of a hire this is and how good and innovative of a recruiter Riley is. Everybody needs to just take a breath and see what this guy is about, what he can get done, and enjoy the ride.

Husker fans are on edge a little bit right now. It would be nice if someone in the athletic department could hold our hand a little bit by releasing some information as it becomes available, just to soothe some nerves and keep us in the loop.

Husker nation is enormous and can be a social media force of nature. That power can be put to good effect, or it can be allowed to wallow in uncertainty. Nothing good is going to come from the speculation that accompanies uncertainty, especially as cynical as many fans have become.

I think that the new staff is going to find out that recruiting to Lincoln isn't easy. May be more difficult than what they're used to.

Recruiting to Corvallis is far more difficult when you take into consideration the town, facilities, fan support and other resources. Lincoln is going to be easier to recruit to.

I understand.

But when you look at the level of recruits they were after at corvallis compared to what we need to win championships here. It's a leap.

Let us not forget that they are a few hours from California, and we have limited number of quality recruits in the 500 mile radius.

A few hours by jet. Corvallis is 510 miles from Sacramento. There aren't many folks in California north of Sacramento.

• Fire 1

So much for Riley hiring the best assistants, WTF!!! Bringing over alot of his old assistants. It's not looking good! I hope Riley's buy out clause in his contract is cheap, because him and Eichorst will be fired after next year, when we go 3-9. What a waste.

That's a little harsh. 3-9 in the Big 10 West is pretty difficult. Only Purdue is capable of that.

Is 8-4 or 7-5 possible? Sure. The fan base will also be on edge if Nebraska loses to BYU in the season opener. We currently have the nations longest active season opening win streak, dating back almost 30 years. If it falls in his first game... he'll be facing heat early.

I understand.

A few hours by jet. Corvallis is 510 miles from Sacramento. There aren't many folks in California north of Sacramento.

I don't know the link off hand, but in the last recruiting class the average distance for the OSU recruits were over 900 miles. Nebraska was something in the area of 700 miles.

So much for Riley hiring the best assistants, WTF!!! Bringing over alot of his old assistants. It's not looking good! I hope Riley's buy out clause in his contract is cheap, because him and Eichorst will be fired after next year, when we go 3-9. What a waste.

He is bringing 2 on offense, 2 on defense, and 1 Special Teams. This isn't an unreasonable decision for any new coach coming in.