Interview with Oregon St Play by Play guy...

Since my update was moved out of the staff hire thread, I'll try to see is it will stick here.

The radio guy said that the WR & LB coaches are solid.

Said the ST guy sucks and is a bad recruiter. (Total waste off staff space, imo) .Said the DC isn't very good. Can stop staight ahead running teams but sucks against spread teams (the anti Bo).

Said the OL coach hasn't done well, but hasn't had much to work with, which led him to the assumption that he is a bad recruiter, too.

It's not easy being a DC in the Pac-12 as the offenses are so diverse...and he was not a good fit in the Pac-12. He could work in the Big10 - but won't stop Ohio State.

Oregon State played Stanford really tough on D and kept it low scoring in 2012-2013. Built to handle Wisky.

Well, apparently OSUs DC told Jones that he'll be our DC.

This just keeps getting less and less underwhelming.

The comparison between Banker and Bo are not fair IMO. Banker could have results here similar to what Pelini had at LSU (aggressive top 10 D) we just won't know until we get a chance to evaluate the finished product by this time next year. I withhold my judgement until then. The results against UO over the years worry me but their win against ASU's two back spread offense provides somewhat of a look-see.

Banker is a terrible hire. No question about it.

Prediction: Riley and his staff get us 6-7 wins next season.

...and that should be completely unacceptable If that happens. 9 wins (or more) next year. NO EXCUSES.
It is just as likely for Bo to get us 7 wins next season. Losses: BYU with their freak QB back, Miami, Mich St, Wisconsin, Minny, NW or Iowa.

Do I expect it to happen? No I sure don't but it isn't impossible without Gregory or Ameer on our roster

Then why not fire Bo next year?

Nebraska didn't exactly go out and get the best coach with Riley. By far imo. What's Nebraska even striving for anymore? No blowout losses? We wants wins and Riley better produce else it's next man up in 3 years.

So you know you have an employee who can't get it done at work right? Do you let him continue to do subpar work or take a flier on a guy you think (SE) is much better at the job? Easy answer from a business perspective which is what SE views this as

Thing is, there is another option other than taking a flier or just sticking with the same old, FIXING THINGS. For less than we spent on buyouts we could've made staff upgrades that would've likely stopped blow-outs and produced more wins. I'd say that is what makes the most sense from a business perspective, low risk with potential for substantial rewards.

IMO Riley is a good enough coach to get it done with the right guys under him, we can win with him, but I also think Bo would've worked if we put a better staff under him that allowed him to quit being def-facto DC, special-teams fixer, and HC at the same time and just back-off to be more of a CEO-type HC.

...and that should be completely unacceptable If that happens. 9 wins (or more) next year. NO EXCUSES.
It is just as likely for Bo to get us 7 wins next season. Losses: BYU with their freak QB back, Miami, Mich St, Wisconsin, Minny, NW or Iowa.

Do I expect it to happen? No I sure don't but it isn't impossible without Gregory or Ameer on our roster

Nebraska didn't exactly go out and get the best coach with Riley. By far imo. What's Nebraska even striving for anymore? No blowout losses? We wants wins and Riley better produce else it's next man up in 3 years.

So you know you have an employee who can't get it done at work right? Do you let him continue to do subpar work or take a flier on a guy you think (SE) is much better at the job? Easy answer from a business perspective which is what SE views this as

Thing is, there is another option other than taking a flier or just sticking with the same old, FIXING THINGS. For less than we spent on buyouts we could've made staff upgrades that would've likely stopped blow-outs and produced more wins. I'd say that is what makes the most sense from a business perspective, low risk with potential for substantial rewards.

IMO Riley is a good enough coach to get it done with the right guys under him, we can win with him, but I also think Bo would've worked if we put a better staff under him that allowed him to quit being def-facto DC, special-teams fixer, and HC at the same time and just back-off to be more of a CEO-type HC.

Bo never showed the ability to be a CEO big picture guy. Hell he even specifically stated he wasn't a big picture guy. Which is the biggest part of being a HC. Nothing wrong with him calling the defensive plays as long as he is capable of also managing the big picture.

Simply plugging random pieces together of guys we as the fan base feel would be huge upgrades isn't always the best. I AM going to do exactly what I did with Bo when he was hired. Give the guy a few years to show us what he can do at NU. If he falls flat on his face we start all over again. However we as a fan base need to step away from the ledge and see what these coaches are capable of here at NU.

• Fire 1

Lets give him time to see what he can do. I don't think he will win 11 games next year. He might only win 8 or 9, if he can't get a q/b to run his offense, what ever it is going to be. Lets face it, TA needs to really improve or one of the others needs to step up. He may not have the q/b on this team, he needs. We really didn't get to see any if of the others, could do better.

We do have some talent, but after seeing what OSU did to Wis, I think we were way behind on the field, or on the sidelines, on talent, to compete with OSU.

GBR!!!

• Fire 1

Is it appropriate to demand MORE from a coach immediately? Or is it more appropriate to demand he maintain status quo in year one?

These demands of going 11-1 and winning the conferfence, making Indy, whatever since we fired a 9 win coach is bullsh#t. Straight up bullsh#t. And Bo wasnt fired for just wins and losses. Look at this this way, we could go 9-4 in his first year, but if we actually look halfway competent and not like a damn junior high team against our only respectable competition, it will already be a step up. And, we're not losin less than 9 games in this damn conference. We're clearly the second most talented team in the Big Ten. If this guy instills some good sound fundamental football, which I could argue we have seen in a good 12 years or so, then that's 10 wins right there. Just by accomplishing that.

• Fire 1

Is it appropriate to demand MORE from a coach immediately? Or is it more appropriate to demand he maintain status quo in year one?

These demands of going 11-1 and winning the conferfence, making Indy, whatever since we fired a 9 win coach is bullsh#t. Straight up bullsh#t. And Bo wasnt fired for just wins and losses. Look at this this way, we could go 9-4 in his first year, but if we actually look halfway competent and not like a damn junior high team against our only respectable competition, it will already be a step up. And, we're not losin less than 9 games in this damn conference. We're clearly the second most talented team in the Big Ten. If this guy instills some good sound fundamental football, which I could argue we have seen in a good 12 years or so, then that's 10 wins right there. Just by accomplishing that.

Here is the problem as I see it...also let it be known that I was happy to see go, super excited about the coaching search.

1. We have been told that Riley is a great coach

2. We were told that he had crappy players that he made better

3. We are told that he has better players at NU

4. We know he wanted Stanton bad (so we can assume that he, at the very least, has his QB that he wanted)

5. We are told the Big Ten is lame and easy to win

6. Riley said that he fits his offense to the players strengths (so, it should be a easy transition)

So, because we have been told all those things and because we have been told that each coach he is bringing in is an "upgrade" over the previous staff (It probably is, I have no idea) then we get to the point where fans are demanding to see results...if they went 9-3 last year with a staff that was holding them back from being great...then shouldn't this upcoming season be better?

• Fire 1

Your really think Bo was going to let someone else "put a better staff under him"??

HE HIRED THESE GUYS!

I do agree that IF (big IF) some staff changes had been made, it "might" have made a difference, but Bo's stubborness is at the crux of the matter.

• Fire 1

If he starts off 2-2...the fan base will freak...if he loses the opener at home...freak.

You guys are insane if you don't think there will be major freaking with each loss and that if for some reason they lose 5-6 games that it won't be a total freak out. Come on.

I'm failing to see how any of this is any different than what would have happened in the last 40+ years?

• Fire 2

"upgrade" is a funny word...if I have a car with 300,000 miles on it and trade it in for one with 250,000 miles...its an upgrade...

I am looking for the best money can get...which could be his assistants, I don't know yet. I hope they are rock stars

Maybe SE's checkbook can only afford beaters and hoopties

So when Eichorst was saying we had the resources to bring in a successful coach, he was just talking about this year's corn crop and being able to turn it into Ethanol for Riley's hybrid?

"upgrade" is a funny word...if I have a car with 300,000 miles on it and trade it in for one with 250,000 miles...its an upgrade...

I am looking for the best money can get...which could be his assistants, I don't know yet. I hope they are rock stars

It's an upgrade if the new car doesn't give up the world record for rushing yards in a single game, and half your punt returns don't end in turnovers

Man you guys got to let that go. The man was on fire, 1 man. Your blaming bo, not saying he wasnt the man in charge but jesus what about the guys on the field. Didnt they have some part in that.

This is beating a dead horse but I will say this one more time.

I have supported Bo in many arguments over the last 5 years. That game was the last straw. Here is why. That team was playing lights out for the first quarter. A couple bad things happened on the field..what happened? Someone melted down on the side lines. Who was that....a player.....an assistant coach....the water boy?????? No, it was the head coach. It was the one man who is supposed to be the calming force in the entire group and the leader.

Yes, you can try to blame the players on the field. However, their "leader" was totally mentally absent in that game and the results showed on the field.

I know these players love that man. However, I believe 10-20 years from now, they will look back and realize he was not there for them as a leader when they needed him.

Now, can we please move on and get excited about the future

Whats your point exactly.

It's not hard to figure out. The team had mental collapses because Bo himself had mental collapses, all when adversity hit them in the mouthes during big games.

• Fire 2

Here is the problem as I see it...also let it be known that I was happy to see go, super excited about the coaching search.

1. We have been told that Riley is a great coach

2. We were told that he had crappy players that he made better

3. We are told that he has better players at NU

4. We know he wanted Stanton bad (so we can assume that he, at the very least, has his QB that he wanted)

5. We are told the Big Ten is lame and easy to win

6. Riley said that he fits his offense to the players strengths (so, it should be a easy transition)

So, because we have been told all those things and because we have been told that each coach he is bringing in is an "upgrade" over the previous staff (It probably is, I have no idea) then we get to the point where fans are demanding to see results...if they went 9-3 last year with a staff that was holding them back from being great...then shouldn't this upcoming season be better?

Yes, but fans are going to give this coach a mulligan because he's new, and Nebraska fans are slowly sliding down that slope of accepting mediocrity and tuning out the team when it does bad (instead of being fired up about it).

If he starts off 2-2...the fan base will freak...if he loses the opener at home...freak.

You guys are insane if you don't think there will be major freaking with each loss and that if for some reason they lose 5-6 games that it won't be a total freak out. Come on.

I'm failing to see how any of this is any different than what would have happened in the last 40+ years?

It isn't...that is why I am saying people are insane if they are thinking that some crappy record or start to the season will not result in a freak out.

It isn't...that is why I am saying people are insane if they are thinking that some crappy record or start to the season will not result in a freak out.

i think most (probably all) would agree with you. If he loses 5 there's going to be some heat. But if he doesn't win 11 he isn't getting fired - that's where 74 has set the bar and where a lot of this "are you serious" thing started.