Let the Staff Fail You on the Field (or, Give the Guys a Chance)

Branno

Some of these guys won't give him 7 days and I think it is in the best interest of the admins to per a ban these people. Especially the guy who doesn't understand why coach Riley can't coach the bowl game.

Yes by all means lets start banning people because we dislike their opinion...says the guy with 16 posts.

Great op-ed from Corn Nation

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/12/9/7360351/nebraska-football-mike-riley-staff-napkins-are-for-doodling

Mike Riley is not Bo Pelini. Mike Riley has forty plus years of coaching experience, including almost two decades of head coaching experience. He has deep connections in college football and he knows more than just the twenty five guys that 247Sports rates as great recruiters (no indication on their coaching ability). He knows what to look for in a staff. At his press conference, he stressed that he would hire coaches who are experts at their position and capable of teaching that knowledge. Development will be the core of this program and a key to its success going forward.

Now, I liked Bo. I don't think there is any doubt about that. And I have made it pretty clear I'm skeptical about the hire, but let's not go crazy. If he's going to fail, let him do it on the field. But give the guy a god damned chance. We might not be super excited about the assistant hires, or his hire in general. But I have a feeling this guy knows what he can do with this staff. That should be worth something.

Good post. It seems there are many Husker fans ready to crucify Riley before he's even coached his first game as the NU head coach. I think there are a lot of Bo-lievers out there (not all) trying to get out their frustrations on Riley for Bo's termination.

Which is insane!

You can believe Bo got a raw deal and get behind the new guy. It's not like Mike is at fault for Bo being fired.

Mike is not at fault for Bo being fired, however I find it quixotic of the Bo hating fans and the Ginger saying, give him a chance, but who also said Bo should be fired based on his lack of wins in games of "substance" or that he wasn't moving the program forward.

I'm open minded enough to give Mike a chance right up to the point where one of two things happen.

1. He has a losing season

2. he loses two games of substance by more than 28 points and posts a record of less than 9 wins

Simple isn't it? emotions should play a part in this

I think for most Husker fans, the standards you are setting would start in year 3. Anytime there is a transition, it will take time for the new coach to raise the results from the prior coach. If Riley wins 7 or 8 games in his first or 2nd season, but wins a conference title in his 3rd, I'm ok with that. I would not be ok if he goes 7 years like Pelini and does not win a championship.

You fired BO with 7 9 win seasons why would you lower the bar for the next coach

So Bo lost two games by more than 28 points in HIS FIRST SEASON, but since he won 9 games we can overlook that I guess. By the way, Bo has lost a 6 games with a 28 or more point difference.

35 - Missouri (at home)

34 - at Oklahoma

31 - at Wisconsin

28 - at Michigan

49 - vs. Wisconsin (Big 10 CCG)

35 - at Wisconsin

So I'm glad he is gone. I find it weird we couldn't compete with Wisconsin besides a lucky come from behind win against them in 2012....

• Fire 1

Great op-ed from Corn Nation

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/12/9/7360351/nebraska-football-mike-riley-staff-napkins-are-for-doodling

Mike Riley is not Bo Pelini. Mike Riley has forty plus years of coaching experience, including almost two decades of head coaching experience. He has deep connections in college football and he knows more than just the twenty five guys that 247Sports rates as great recruiters (no indication on their coaching ability). He knows what to look for in a staff. At his press conference, he stressed that he would hire coaches who are experts at their position and capable of teaching that knowledge. Development will be the core of this program and a key to its success going forward.

Now, I liked Bo. I don't think there is any doubt about that. And I have made it pretty clear I'm skeptical about the hire, but let's not go crazy. If he's going to fail, let him do it on the field. But give the guy a god damned chance. We might not be super excited about the assistant hires, or his hire in general. But I have a feeling this guy knows what he can do with this staff. That should be worth something.

Good post. It seems there are many Husker fans ready to crucify Riley before he's even coached his first game as the NU head coach. I think there are a lot of Bo-lievers out there (not all) trying to get out their frustrations on Riley for Bo's termination.

Which is insane!

You can believe Bo got a raw deal and get behind the new guy. It's not like Mike is at fault for Bo being fired.

Mike is not at fault for Bo being fired, however I find it quixotic of the Bo hating fans and the Ginger saying, give him a chance, but who also said Bo should be fired based on his lack of wins in games of "substance" or that he wasn't moving the program forward.

I'm open minded enough to give Mike a chance right up to the point where one of two things happen.

1. He has a losing season

2. he loses two games of substance by more than 28 points and posts a record of less than 9 wins

Simple isn't it? emotions should play a part in this

I think for most Husker fans, the standards you are setting would start in year 3. Anytime there is a transition, it will take time for the new coach to raise the results from the prior coach. If Riley wins 7 or 8 games in his first or 2nd season, but wins a conference title in his 3rd, I'm ok with that. I would not be ok if he goes 7 years like Pelini and does not win a championship.

You fired BO with 7 9 win seasons why would you lower the bar for the next coach

Last I checked I'm not SE and did not fire Bo. But regardless...my expectations are that MR will have the team playing better than Bo by his 3rd season. If it happens before then, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Looking at the progrum right now - we're roughly on par with Iowa. 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten West.

That's the starting point for Riley.

I'd like to see us trending toward best in the West in the next 2-3 years. I see no reason we shouldn't be beating Minnesota and at least competing with Wisconsin in the near future.

I have no set expectation for the first year. If you think you know what to expect, it's safe to say you're wrong.

• Fire 3

Looking at the program right now - we're roughly on par with Iowa. 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten West.

That's the starting point for Riley.

Exactly, Dude. That means a lot more than 9 wins, 10 wins, whatever it is.

We're a secondary consideration for favorites in division. The first goal should be taking back status as the division's top dog. If Riley can't surpass or at least equal Wisconsin, his tenure won't be longer than Pelini's.

The next step after that would be to equal Dantonio, but in the West. I hope that can happen. Meyer right now looks untouchable, but if Nebraska becomes on the same caliber as Michigan State, we'll be right in the mix.

And year 1 -- who could have any idea. It could be an easy transition, or (hope not) a rough one.

Well if media outlets would stop throwing out names like Tressel, Orgeron and Steele then fans wouldn't get there hopes up. This is what they want they're throwing out big names they know will never come here to get fans hopes up and then capitalizing of them flipping out over hires from OSU assistants so they can then write about that

The media is just an extension of the people they serve, especially when it comes to sports. I got on Huskerboard within minutes of Bo getting fired and saw people already talking about Tressel - I don't think the media had much to do with that. Talk radio also deals a lot in rumors because that's what they do - talk. If they only talked about facts their shows would be pretty short. You have to make your own opinions and the people that eat up what the media says need to as well.

The one thing people keep bringing up about Riley is he's a developer of talent. He hones it to the best of his abilities, and over the last several years, he's been doing it with mediocre talent and it's been producing. Could he have done better? Sure. But, even Boise State, a team with very mediocre talent that took the national stage by storm, has fallen off the national scope for the last couple seasons now. Put Riley in a place with significantly better resources and much better access to talent... really good things could happen.

Look at it this way, too. I don't think Meyer, Saban, Miles, Stoops, or any other 'elite' coach would win 10, 11 or 12 games at Oregon State every year.

IMHO Grandpa Synder would

He's gone 6-6, 7-6, 10-3, 11-2, 8-5, and 9-3. Pretty good since his return, but even he had some drop off.

Looking at the program right now - we're roughly on par with Iowa. 3rd or 4th best team in the Big Ten West.That's the starting point for Riley.

Exactly, Dude. That means a lot more than 9 wins, 10 wins, whatever it is.We're a secondary consideration for favorites in division. The first goal should be taking back status as the division's top dog. If Riley can't surpass or at least equal Wisconsin, his tenure won't be longer than Pelini's.The next step after that would be to equal Dantonio, but in the West. I hope that can happen. Meyer right now looks untouchable, but if Nebraska becomes on the same caliber as Michigan State, we'll be right in the mix.And year 2 -- who could have any idea. It could be an easy transition, or (hope not) a rough one.
So, would y'all be happy with a 5~7 season yet all of the losses are close?

But I'm glad that y'all acknowledge that 9 wins is irrelevant and cements the thought that if he doesn't do that next year he should be fired.

Hey, UWs new coach had more of a rebuild project than the new coach, and he got to the CCG in year 2. Our schedule is even easier than last, there is no reason why we shouldn't win the conference and be in the playoffs in 2015.

Can we please get off the 9 win sh#t?

We need to tell Riley he can't win 9 games. He can only win less than 9 or win more than 9. NEVER 9!

My point is 9 means sh#t. How did we play? Who did we play? The number 9 is irrelevant.

So if we play well and lose you're ok with a losing season