Avery Moss - updates - 1/9 **readmission denied**

C N Red

Appears last year, Avery talked to the Title IX investigator, who laid out what he needed to do and if he completed that, she all but assured him he would be allowed back as a student. She retired in July I believe, and the new Title IX investigator didn't think allowing Avery Moss to be a student again was a good idea for now. So, while Avery did everything that was asked, it appears the new investigator still felt he was too much of a risk to allow back as a student. Hence being denied. I'm sure the fallout of Jameis and what's happening in Eugene has an impact on Avery's decision.

You need to do better than "appears". You need to make facts appear that you know this for sure.

"I definitely talked to the Dean of Students (last year) and they told me I'd have a really good chance of getting in," Moss said. "They weren't allowed to fully tell me I could come back because it was uncertain, but I'd been talked to by people that helped make this decision and they told me you should be able to get into the University come December or January."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1723780

Linda Crump, Title IX investigator for UNL retires in June. This is a Title IX case. Arturo Perez is her temporary replacement until a permanent replacement is found. Linda, with the Dean of Students laid out what he needed to do. Avery does what was asked of him, keep his nose clean, no legal infractions, go to counseling, show remorse, etc. She retires, Art comes in, in a temporary role, does the safe thing after seeing what happened in Eugene and what's happening in Tallahassee and denies re-admission. In his role, he didn't want to open the door to a lawsuit if Avery did something in the future.

Here is something some people just never can get through their thick scull no matter if it is in society or on a job or in a relationship.

If you do something stupid and inappropriate, you open yourself up to the consequences of what ever happens. It is not the University's fault he is not coming back. It's not because he is being mistreated. It's not because someone is being mean to him. it is because he did something stupid.

He will learn from it and move on. It's time our football program learns from it and moves on.

• Fire 3

Appears last year, Avery talked to the Title IX investigator, who laid out what he needed to do and if he completed that, she all but assured him he would be allowed back as a student. She retired in July I believe, and the new Title IX investigator didn't think allowing Avery Moss to be a student again was a good idea for now. So, while Avery did everything that was asked, it appears the new investigator still felt he was too much of a risk to allow back as a student. Hence being denied. I'm sure the fallout of Jameis and what's happening in Eugene has an impact on Avery's decision.

You need to do better than "appears". You need to make facts appear that you know this for sure.

"I definitely talked to the Dean of Students (last year) and they told me I'd have a really good chance of getting in," Moss said. "They weren't allowed to fully tell me I could come back because it was uncertain, but I'd been talked to by people that helped make this decision and they told me you should be able to get into the University come December or January."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1723780

Linda Crump, Title IX investigator for UNL retires in June. This is a Title IX case. Arturo Perez is her temporary replacement until a permanent replacement is found. Linda, with the Dean of Students laid out what he needed to do. Avery does what was asked of him, keep his nose clean, no legal infractions, go to counseling, show remorse, etc. She retires, Art comes in, in a temporary role, does the safe thing after seeing what happened in Eugene and what's happening in Tallahassee and denies re-admission. In his role, he didn't want to open the door to a lawsuit if Avery did something in the future.

So once again, doing the "safe" thing trumps doing what (may) be the right thing.

Without even venturing into the specifics of the offense, the "punishment", or the culpability............it does highlight the depths to which the sheer volume of litigiousness has permeated society.

The practice of "defensive" administration (especially evident in defensive medicine) has had a marked deleterious effect on all of us.

• Fire 1

So once again, doing the "safe" thing trumps doing what (may) be the right thing.

Moss could have done both at the same time and we wouldn't be having this conversation...right?...

BigRedBuster nailed it with his post. Not playing at Nebraska might be the best thing for Avery Moss, and getting back on the team might not be. Anyone remember Scott Baldwin?

• Fire 1

Moss could have done both at the same time and we wouldn't be having this conversation...right?...

BigRedBuster nailed it with his post. Not playing at Nebraska might be the best thing for Avery Moss, and getting back on the team might not be. Anyone remember Scott Baldwin?

Not only do I remember him, I was at the game when he was hit late going into the North end zone while crossing the goal line by a defender that ended up injuring him and starting the entire downward spiral of his life.

It would have been impossible to predict at that seemingly insignificant moment.

(I know that was not the intent of your reference, it just reignited my memory of how all that eventually played out)

If this is true, that's Busch League. I could see the University having suit filed against it by Moss if that's the case. However, I have a feeling he will just go to ASU, flourish, play in the NFL, and become a fine and upstanding member of society. But many of you will judge him for letting a girl see his weiner. Not touching her with it or threatening her with it, just being stupid and flashing it. Many of you will let it cloud your opinion of him forever without ever even meeting or knowing him. Guess I don't see him as a devil as some of you seem to, but a stupid college kid who is learning the VERY hard way. Wish him luck and I will be rooting for him.

on what grounds?

and as for the rest of it, i think we all think this is unfortunate all around. moss does seem like a good person who made a mistake and now there are consequences. that happens. that does not mean we will judge him and think less of him, just that we understand that transgressions have consequences and nothing is guaranteed.

i am impressed with what he has done and how he has handled this. it really is too bad it worked out this way. but it has. he put himself in this position and has to continue to deal with it. at least he now knows and can move on, which it sounds like he is.

Hell if I know. I just know how lawyers work and I'm sure there is something they could file. I don't know what it would be called, but it's like a court saying do this and do that and this crime will be taken off your record. It's basically a contract between you and the court and if you hold up your end, they will hold up theirs. If you do everything you are supposed to and the other end doesn't hold up theirs, lawsuits are usually to follow. I would guess he signed some sort of papers with everything written out. Hell, lawsuits have been filed for less.
never heard of such a lawsuit and that post is mostly speculation.

i have heard of a woman suing a coach for recruiting a player with a history of sexual misconduct.

Here is something some people just never can get through their thick scull no matter if it is in society or on a job or in a relationship.

If you do something stupid and inappropriate, you open yourself up to the consequences of what ever happens. It is not the University's fault he is not coming back. It's not because he is being mistreated. It's not because someone is being mean to him. it is because he did something stupid.

He will learn from it and move on. It's time our football program learns from it and moves on.

Yes if you do something stupid, you open yourself to being caught for something and being prosecuted and reprimanded for such actions. However, everyone and I mean everyone is involved in stupid things. It is in our Human nature to make mistakes and to learn from them. He has put everything on hold and was told he would be welcomed back. It is unfair, because this new title IX person had to of known there was nothing Avery could do to get back on campus and should have told him that from the get go and not give him the run around.

What you may not be able to get in your thick skull, that people need to be treated with respect and appropriately, despite their shortcomings. Just because you get a speeding ticket (or several) despite the inherent "risk" speeders create on the public roads, doesn't validate an action to remove your ability to drive indefinitely. Leading Avery to believe he even had the slightest chance to come back when he didn't.... back in the summer (missing fall semester) then being untimely in the decision prior to this semester (was told decision would be made prior to christmas break) so he couldn't enroll anywhere else is completely inconsiderate and unprofessional (especially as a representative of the state and education in general). Just because Avery flashed his junk, doesn't validate the apathy and incompetency within how his case was managed.

I'm not upset because he is a football player, I'm upset because our administration treats people like "poop."

• Fire 2

If this is true, that's Busch League. I could see the University having suit filed against it by Moss if that's the case. However, I have a feeling he will just go to ASU, flourish, play in the NFL, and become a fine and upstanding member of society. But many of you will judge him for letting a girl see his weiner. Not touching her with it or threatening her with it, just being stupid and flashing it. Many of you will let it cloud your opinion of him forever without ever even meeting or knowing him. Guess I don't see him as a devil as some of you seem to, but a stupid college kid who is learning the VERY hard way. Wish him luck and I will be rooting for him.

on what grounds?

and as for the rest of it, i think we all think this is unfortunate all around. moss does seem like a good person who made a mistake and now there are consequences. that happens. that does not mean we will judge him and think less of him, just that we understand that transgressions have consequences and nothing is guaranteed.

i am impressed with what he has done and how he has handled this. it really is too bad it worked out this way. but it has. he put himself in this position and has to continue to deal with it. at least he now knows and can move on, which it sounds like he is.

This seems like the most reasonable post in the last two pages...Moss was obviously in the wrong and must answer to what he did...he deserves whatever punishment the university sees fit, yet I'm sure most would agree that university could have possibly handled the situation in a better way (i.e. giving him a quicker decision). However, I appreciate the way Moss handled the situation. it is best that everyone moves on from this. I feel like it is just another further divide between Husker Nation...

That was a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment, but it probably is pretty true. Unless he shoved it in her face or forced himself on her or something, I guess I don't see it as such a big deal like some others do.

It made her uncomfortable. Enough to call the police. That's ALL that matters. Then he did it again.

• Fire 2

That was a mostly tongue-in-cheek comment, but it probably is pretty true. Unless he shoved it in her face or forced himself on her or something, I guess I don't see it as such a big deal like some others do.

It made her uncomfortable. Enough to call the police. That's ALL that matters. Then he did it again.

^^^This. WTF, Shark