Avery Moss - updates - 1/9 **readmission denied**

C N Red

College football CAN NOT be the litmus test by which people judge Harvey Perlman's character and legacy. Hiring Athletic Directors is just one of dozens of hats the Chancellor wears, and NOT the most important one.

It's easy on a football forum to pretend that Perlman's job is so closely tied to football. It isn't.

Great point here. and do we really want an AD that is highly visible ala Pat Haden down on the field barking at refs during a game?

Not quite the whole story Headley. He made Osborne the AD, not the interim AD. Then when Osborne wouldn't get rid of Pelini he started looking for TO's replacement without his knowledge. When Osborne found out he announced his retirement. Harvey is a snake in the grass.

I can't be the only one who doesn't buy this. Osborne was what 75/76 when he retired? He was never meant to be a permanent solution. And if he was that shady, then why did Osborne stick around for 6 months to help transition to Eichorst? Maybe he just wanted to retire. I think some people just want to complain about Perlman.

• Fire 1

Well, if our admin handles this situation like they do most it will get totally f'd up!! Yes, I'm looking at you Harvey.

Again, what situations were botched?

Maybe hiring an AD with no previous experience at hiring coaches.

False.

Knapp and Headley Lamar hit the nail on the head, though. The whole reason for an athletic department is so athletics are separate from academics. The two mingle because of the nature of the student athlete; but to simply say that because there are questions about the timeline of hiring Osborne and Eichorst means Pearlman is terrible is small minded and lazy.

Not disagreeing, but "what" are you basing the thought that "SE has done a solid job" on What has he really done. the one big thing is firing Bo, which is as much a negative as a positive among Husker Nation (Just look at HB the past month) In his 2 years, I haven't seen him do anything "great", but I also haven't seen him "screw" anything up (yet.time will tell with this latest move)>

I think I have made my point of view about HP clear. I have BIG FAT ZERO respect for him..and can't wait for the day that someone else gets to take over.

Harvey has done an outstanding job with the university and it's academics...yeah that is what schools are for I know heartbreaking. Hired and fired Stevie P. Replaced him with TO on an interim basis and took his time for the next few seasons trying to find the guy he wanted.

In regards to SE he has said multiple Times he wants to remain in the shadows. Which he obviously does. However going out and in a matter of a couple days snagging a long tenured well respected HC from the west coast is solid work. That's what we have to judge him on so far and so far so good IMO

It still baffles my mind how many football fans what Harvey fired simply because of their view of they think he some how has screwed everything up.

Like this is his entire job and the academic side of things means nothing.

As for Moss, Would all of you have the same feelings if this guy wasn't a stud athlete? What if you had a daughter at UNL that would be living in the same dorm facility as a convicted sex offender? Would that be OK?

I'm perfectly fine with the University taking it's time and possibly never allowing him back on campus. It really sucks for the football program but some things are bigger than that.

• Fire 1

As for Moss, Would all of you have the same feelings if this guy wasn't a stud athlete? What if you had a daughter at UNL that would be living in the same dorm facility as a convicted sex offender? Would that be OK?

Right there with you on that one. Moss has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's reformed, and if there's any question, he should not be allowed back on campus. I would have no problem with that, star athlete or regular schmoe.

My one concern is the time this is taking. Moss was given tasks to perform to show good faith, and from what I've heard here (aside from a couple of posts), he's done them. The University has an obligation to this kid's life and livelihood as well as to the woman he inflicted himself upon. Moss has stayed in Lincoln because he has a reason to believe that he'll be allowed back. He's sacrificed a year of his life (and eligibility? Does anyone know about that?) trying to get back on the team. If UNL decides he can't come back after he's gone through the steps they mandated, I won't think they've done right by him. They should have just cut him loose from the start.

Right there with you on that one. Moss has to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's reformed, and if there's any question, he should not be allowed back on campus. I would have no problem with that, star athlete or regular schmoe.

My one concern is the time this is taking. Moss was given tasks to perform to show good faith, and from what I've heard here (aside from a couple of posts), he's done them. The University has an obligation to this kid's life and livelihood as well as to the woman he inflicted himself upon. Moss has stayed in Lincoln because he has a reason to believe that he'll be allowed back. He's sacrificed a year of his life (and eligibility? Does anyone know about that?) trying to get back on the team. If UNL decides he can't come back after he's gone through the steps they mandated, I won't think they've done right by him. They should have just cut him loose from the start.

I have never seen anything official from UNL admissions on this. I have only read speculative posts and reports on what is going on.

It looks like to me, he had Bo and the staff working in his favor with the University to get him back on campus and on the team after the one year. He stayed in Lincoln because he trusted Bo and thought he could win the appeal after one year.

The admissions has said nothing ( to my knowledge) on the subject. To me, they have no obligation other than making wise decisions as it pertains to the safety of it's students living on campus and attending class.

Now, Bo is gone and he isn't here working in his favor with admissions. The new staff doesn't know Moss and has no obligation to do anything with him. In fact, if I were them, I would completely stay out of it and move in a different direction. Why take the risk as a new staff to work in the favor of a convicted sexual offender to get him back on the team only to (possibly) have him do something stupid again and give their program a black eye?

Unfortunately for Moss, he did something really stupid and he needs to probably move on with his life.

I have never seen anything official from UNL admissions on this. I have only read speculative posts and reports on what is going on.

It looks like to me, he had Bo and the staff working in his favor with the University to get him back on campus and on the team after the one year. He stayed in Lincoln because he trusted Bo and thought he could win the appeal after one year.

The admissions has said nothing ( to my knowledge) on the subject. To me, they have no obligation other than making wise decisions as it pertains to the safety of it's students living on campus and attending class.

Now, Bo is gone and he isn't here working in his favor with admissions. The new staff doesn't know Moss and has no obligation to do anything with him. In fact, if I were them, I would completely stay out of it and move in a different direction. Why take the risk as a new staff to work in the favor of a convicted sexual offender to get him back on the team only to (possibly) have him do something stupid again and give their program a black eye?

Unfortunately for Moss, he did something really stupid and he needs to probably move on with his life.

If the old staff was working with the university in order for Avery to meet the expectations to get back on campus then the university should uphold their end of the bargain. It should have very little to do with the new staff. If the university had made no such contact to the football program about Avery being readmitted then they should just tell him and let the young man move on. Pretty harsh judgements on here. I had a buddy in college who was put on the sex offender list for taking a leak in public or another that got drunk and stupid at a party. No harm was done in either event and both learned lessons from these events and are productive members of society. Neither lost any eligibility due to their mistakes.

If the old staff was working with the university in order for Avery to meet the expectations to get back on campus then the university should uphold their end of the bargain. It should have very little to do with the new staff. If the university had made no such contact to the football program about Avery being readmitted then they should just tell him and let the young man move on. Pretty harsh judgements on here. I had a buddy in college who was put on the sex offender list for taking a leak in public or another that got drunk and stupid at a party. No harm was done in either event and both learned lessons from these events and are productive members of society. Neither lost any eligibility due to their mistakes.

Please show me where the University promised anything in this.

At the end of the day if the school lays out rules that a student needs to follow and invites the student to re-apply after a year than it is fair for anyone to assume that the student will be let back in if they follow the guidance. If this is not that case than I will say shame on the University for creating false hope for the kid who could have sought out other options to get on with his life. It seems like the perception is that UNL did not shut the door on Moss but they provided some direction and said come see us in a year.

• Fire 1

At the end of the day if the school lays out rules that a student needs to follow and invites the student to re-apply after a year than it is fair for anyone to assume that the student will be let back in if they follow the guidance. If this is not that case than I will say shame on the University for creating false hope for the kid who could have sought out other options to get on with his life. It seems like the perception is that UNL did not shut the door on Moss but they provided some direction and said come see us in a year.

Key word in your post.

Key word in your post.

Yep and perception means everything.

The fact that Moss stuck around instead of transferring tells us that he's either colossally stupid, the former coaching staff gave him exceedingly bad advice, or he had reason to believe from the University Administration that if he did X-Y-Z, he'd have a solid chance at returning to the team.

Even with a 50/50 chance at returning, the former coaching staff would have been exceedingly negligent in their care of this young man if they did not do everything in their power to encourage him to transfer. We know they have not stood in the way of other players transferring, Braylon Heard, Aaron Green & Cody Green among them, so it's not like they would have moved to block Moss' transfer had that been his best step.

So while we haven't sat down with UNL Administration to consult on Moss' situation, it's pretty easy to infer a few things about what's going on.

• Fire 1

Not really. Neither you nor I have any clue what was (if anything) was promised to Moss by the Admissions office. There are many many many examples of reality that is created in media and message boards that just isn't reality. Now, if Bo promised something while pulling it out of his azz and the Admissions office had nothing to do with it, they aren't obligated to anything. They weren't obligated before Bo was fired and they sure as hell aren't obligated to anything Bo promised after he was fired.