OWH: High school coaches hoping in-state offers will increase with Mike Riley

zoogs

Scholarships to 3 or so Nebraska kids is kind of the limit. Whether you want to believe it or not, the state just doesn't produce more talent than that.

This is just crazy talk. When you go back and look at the roster in the mid-90's, you will see a heck of a lot more Nebraska kids starting on those teams than three per class. Our OL alone was almost all instate kids with Wilks, the Zatechka brothers, Treu,and Wiegert. I don't think the coaching staff needs to waste a lot of time recruiting Nebraska, but they do need to at least take a look. Considering the populations of both Lincoln and Omaha have grown in the last 20 years, it seems reasonable there would be at least the same if not more talent now than then.

Callahan got the ball rolling with overlooking the talent in the state of Nebraska. A lot of those key players from Osborne's teams in the 80's and 90's came from Cozad and small towns of the like. I never bought that suddenly the talent in the state somehow diminished.

Even if Riley can pick up the in state recruiting again he still needs to not only spot but also develop that talent regardless.

Scholarships to 3 or so Nebraska kids is kind of the limit. Whether you want to believe it or not, the state just doesn't produce more talent than that.

This is just crazy talk. When you go back and look at the roster in the mid-90's, you will see a heck of a lot more Nebraska kids starting on those teams than three per class. Our OL alone was almost all instate kids with Wilks, the Zatechka brothers, Treu,and Wiegert. I don't think the coaching staff needs to waste a lot of time recruiting Nebraska, but they do need to at least take a look. Considering the populations of both Lincoln and Omaha have grown in the last 20 years, it seems reasonable there would be at least the same if not more talent now than then.

It was a different system though, and most high schools played the triple option, so those OL came in knowing more or less what the scheme was, all you needed wassize and aggression.

Callahan got the ball rolling with overlooking the talent in the state of Nebraska. A lot of those key players came from Osborne's teams in the 80's and 90's came from Cozad and small towns of the like. I never bought that suddenly the talent in the state somehow diminished.

Even if Riley can pick up the in state recruiting again he still needs to not only spot but also develop that talent regardless.

it didnt. but the strength and conditioning and the "player development" advantages did diminish.

Yes, the mid 90s had a ton of homegrown talent, but one could also argue that the era was an "anomaly" in terms of the amount of talent in Nebraska at that time. Omaha had always produced good IB's, but Ahman Green was a once-in-a-generation player who was head and shoulders better than previous Omaha RB's. Scott Frost was an amazing talent recruited by schools all over the country. The linemen you mentioned were All-Conference and numerous went onto play in the NFL. That is an amazing amount of talent from Nebraska that we didn't see at NU (at the same time) before the mid 90s and since then.

Also, the talent in Lincoln and Omaha may not be "decreasing", but compared to so many other states in the country it is. Schools in Texas and the South have Spring practice and the 7 on 7 camps have boomed in the past 10-15 years. So, the amount of talent in those states is growing, while Nebraska really isn't.

I agree that the staff needs to look at the talent in Nebraska each year, but I really think that the talent that went through Omaha, Lincoln, and elsewhere in Nebraska was better than we have historically seen from the state.

Callahan got the ball rolling with overlooking the talent in the state of Nebraska. A lot of those key players came from Osborne's teams in the 80's and 90's came from Cozad and small towns of the like. I never bought that suddenly the talent in the state somehow diminished.

it didnt. but the strength and conditioning and the "player development" advantages did diminish.

Count' hit the nail on the head. Schools in Nebraska are strapped for money and can't afford to upgrade weight rooms and acquire things for player development. Another issues is the NSAA has implemented more rules for practice times and such that they didn't have during the 80's and 90's.

As others have mentioned, times are different. Nebraska was running an offense scheme that they committed too for a long period of time. It was relatively easy to take some instate kids, bring them into the program, and practice with them.

They used to do drills where linemen would practice pulling for various option plays, and they did this over and over and over. For years. After 3 years, a guy was so well coached and had done so many reps he could come in, pull on a option/run play, and seal off a linebacker in his sleep.

Obviously this is no longer the case. But that system, the practice and repetition they had, was any we were the most dominant rushing team in the country.

There may not be enough in state guys who build a whole roster around, but there is more than what we have been bringing in. If the gap between high school prospects is fairly small, we should be taking the in state guy above the out of state. The last really good offensive lineman we had was an instate walk on, and not one of the 4 stars.

The system argument I don't think holds water. The many of the high schools moved off of the option over the last decade.

And while we may really be limited in the ready to plug in and play guys, due to the lack of off season football practices (hello local politics of coaches) needing a year or two in the weight room on the local kids can be a good thing. Part of what made Nebraska was the drive that gets instilled from the kids who grew up bleeding for the Huskers. That fire and drive then spreads to the out of state kids as well. And we have been lacking the the passion from the inside lately. Losses not chewing people up speaks volumes to that.

I may have missed this from another thread and if I'm not allowed to link content from the OWH Bottom Line please delete.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/tbl-husker-recruiting-roundtable-with-clouse-schaefer-and-harvey/article_4593d1b2-9ab3-11e4-aa94-df91abbbcb05.html

Part 2 addresses In state vs. out of state. I thought the panel did a good job of describing it. If you are worried about losing kids to Ohio, Wyoming, Iowa then that is a terrifying sign of the level of talent Nebraska is going after.

• Fire 1