Scott Frost turned down HC job...

If you look from Frost's perspective, the only reason he comes here is purely out of his love for Nebraska. In all other respects, it would be a demotion career wise.

A HC in waiting deal? First of all, what does that even mean? Nothing is written into the contracts that guarantees him the job. It's a handshake agreement, and we all know oral contracts are worth the paper they are written on. If the staff were to fail and the offense struggles under Frost, you still think he would have that HC position waiting for him? Of course not.

Oral contracts are written out now???

No real disrespect to CSU, but they're not a Power 5 con. They have NO chance to ever make a CF playoff, so what do they play for? I mean, where are those hopes at the beginning of the season - realistic or not - that this could be a magical year and make it?

If it were me, I'd rather take a chance where there is some hope at a bigger program at least. And a P5 Conf. Even if it was a middle of the pack team. That would be my logical starting point. Look at Duke and how far they've come along. Winston won't play at FSU forever, and it is more possible in the ACC for someone else to rise up. Plus you play in bigger venues and against more traditional power teams. Not to mention the quality of recruits that go to P5 over CSU, etc.

Bigger programs, better venues, better recruits, bigger TV games, and championship dreams.

Their last coach is now at one of the best spots possible (Florida) after coaching at CSU for 3 years...

This

Getting your feet wet at a mid-major with potential ala CSU or Houston can often be the best thing for a newb HC. Not only can they be great springboards to bigger jobs but they also provide valuable experience, knowledge, and contacts in a learning environment that is a little more forgiving than a major conference.

Another Florida coach used this route. When Urban was at BG he could've waited another season and gotten some Purdue-type job but he saw potential in Utah and used that job to make his the hottest name in the country.

As far as Frost goes I can't see him as HCIW at Oregon. Helfrich is only 41yrs old for piss sakes and may well have zero interest in pro coaching. He runs a college offense and he can make plenty of money staying in Eugene with Knight filling the coffers. I'd imagine Frost will be moving-on in a year or two when he feels the time and job is right. I can see him being the coach here when Riley retires.

If you look from Frost's perspective, the only reason he comes here is purely out of his love for Nebraska. In all other respects, it would be a demotion career wise.

A HC in waiting deal? First of all, what does that even mean? Nothing is written into the contracts that guarantees him the job. It's a handshake agreement, and we all know oral contracts are worth the paper they are written on. If the staff were to fail and the offense struggles under Frost, you still think he would have that HC position waiting for him? Of course not.

Joke Explainer Guy: You see, oral contracts aren't written on paper at all. Since UNLFan has posited that their value is based on the value of that paper, he has insinuated, through the creative use of metaphor, that they have no value.

No real disrespect to CSU, but they're not a Power 5 con. They have NO chance to ever make a CF playoff, so what do they play for? I mean, where are those hopes at the beginning of the season - realistic or not - that this could be a magical year and make it?

If it were me, I'd rather take a chance where there is some hope at a bigger program at least. And a P5 Conf. Even if it was a middle of the pack team. That would be my logical starting point. Look at Duke and how far they've come along. Winston won't play at FSU forever, and it is more possible in the ACC for someone else to rise up. Plus you play in bigger venues and against more traditional power teams. Not to mention the quality of recruits that go to P5 over CSU, etc.

Bigger programs, better venues, better recruits, bigger TV games, and championship dreams.

Their last coach is now at one of the best spots possible (Florida) after coaching at CSU for 3 years...

This

Getting your feet wet at a mid-major with potential ala CSU or Houston can often be the best thing for a newb HC. Not only can they be great springboards to bigger jobs but they also provide valuable experience, knowledge, and contacts in a learning environment that is a little more forgiving than a major conference.

Another Florida coach used this route. When Urban was at BG he could've waited another season and gotten some Purdue-type job but he saw potential in Utah and used that job to make his the hottest name in the country.

As far as Frost goes I can't see him as HCIW at Oregon. Helfrich is only 41yrs old for piss sakes and may well have zero interest in pro coaching. He runs a college offense and he can make plenty of money staying in Eugene with Knight filling the coffers. I'd imagine Frost will be moving-on in a year or two when he feels the time and job is right. I can see him being the coach here when Riley retires.

a double this. Frost may have all the talent in the world but name a power 5 school in which you can go from asst(at another school) to HC? All the biggies have earned their way up. He may very well not be coming to DONU, but CSU would have been a great way to jump into the pool and get his feet wet and I still do not understand why he would turn it down. Unless you really, really love Oregon and he might. He might even think in a few years he has a shot there. Or, maybe, hhhmmm?

• Fire 1

I don't think he should have taken the job at CSU. Maybe he wants to see and show what he can do with their offense, with a new q/b to work with over the next 3 or 4 years. If they keep producing the same type results over that time, he will be able to get a lot better offer. I think he comes home someday. Just not in the next 4 or 5 years. That's if Riley can put a good team on the field, if not he may be here quicker. Would love to see Frost here, but I really want Riley to do well. We all should.

GBR!!!

Him not taking the CSU job shows to me that he is more interested in making the right decision than taking the first reasonable offer that comes up. I think he made a gutsy call that will ultimately work out in the long run. CSU is not a big time program and McElwain is returning to a conference that he has already coached in. Frost will have power 5 opportunities in the next 2-4 years.What I believe to be a good decision on Frost's part is the exact opposite of the decision that Bo just made. Bo should have taken a coordinator job a top 25 school rather than a low level head coaching job. If there were no offers, he should have waited. Even if he had not had the leaked audio issues, I'm of the opinion that the career path that he just chose will make it all but impossible to return to a high level as head coach. Because of budgetary reasons, he will have a difficult time recuiting and hiring coaches. Frost isn't going to put himself in this situation unless he thinks it right....JMO.

Nice observations. Thanks!

I have no clue who we are gonna hire as OC. I seriously doubt it will end up being Frost but a a lower tier guy whose name is hot wouldnt surprise me. I just feel like its gotta be a scenario like that to establish a coach in waiting, silly as that might seem since Riley is entering his first year with the program.

With everyday that the OC position has not been filled the more likely in my mind that it's Frost. Assuming that Frost was offered CSU, why would he turn it down? I love Riley, but he's pretty old. Eichorst seems too strategic to not consider Riley's age. If someone else were to be plugged in, wouldn't they be in place considering that it's recruiting time?

Dont go getting our hopes up now........we dont need this turning into another sock puppet thread.

With everyday that the OC position has not been filled the more likely in my mind that it's Frost. Assuming that Frost was offered CSU, why would he turn it down? I love Riley, but he's pretty old. Eichorst seems too strategic to not consider Riley's age. If someone else were to be plugged in, wouldn't they be in place considering that it's recruiting time?

As others have insinuated, probably going to be the Giants OC. If not, then it's somebody still involved in either bowls or the NFL. It's hard to fathom it's going to be Frost.

Regardless, we will know soon as the bowls and NFL seasons are winding down.

That's the point of the phrase, you idiot

399c860485e7d3558ea44a6c64d4b33cd6f1bdff

I too, was a little surprised @ Frost turning down CSU. The cupboard is hardly bare there (Higgins and Hart both slated to return). While the most likely reason he stayed was he wants to build up his coaching chops some more and prove he can do it w/ Mariotta, a small part of me thinks he's a little bit delusional. I put Frost a level or two below a guy like Chad Morris who was 'only' able to parlay his success at Clemson into the SMU job. Even if he really succeeds over the next couple years I can't see his first HC job being nothing more than a lower tier P5 job (like Kevin Wilson @ Indiana). Maybe that's what he's holding out for.