Bo's Hires vs. Riley's Hires By the Numbers

My great grandpa used to tell me you build a lot of relationships and gain a lot of connections in 130 years.

You think this will help crootin'?

I also like all the NFL experience on the staff. That's a good sell to recruits. I know many Husker fans only associate the NFL with Bill Callahan. As I recall, though, even he brought in a couple talented guys (most likely selling them the dream of the NFL).

Someone inquired about the coaching experience of Riley's guys vs Bo's guys. I had some time to kill tonight and was actually pretty curious of the numbers myself, so I did some looking. Here is what I came up with:

Prior to being hired by Nebraska

Head Coach:

Mike Riley:

18 years FBS

4 years NFL

Bo Pelini:

5 years FBS

9 years NFL

Oline:

John Garrison:

0 years

Barney Cotton:

10 years FBS

Mike Cavanaugh

15 years FBS

2 years NFL

WR:

Rich Fisher:

5 years FBS (if Idaho was FBS at that time?)

?:

RB:

Ron Brown:

17 years FBS..was offered to stay.

Reggie Davis:

6 years FBS

5 years NFL

OC:

Tim Beck:

6 years FBS

Danny Langsdorf:

4 years NFL

9 yeas FBS

Dline:

Rick Kaczenski:

5 years FBS

Hank Hughes:

18 years FBS

D-Cord

John Papuchis:

0 years

Mark Banker:

17 years FBS

3 years NFL

LB:

Ross Els:

9 years FBS

Trent Bray:

5 years FBS

S/T:

Bruce Read:

14 years FBS

7 years NFL

Bos hires totals: 66 years, bumped heavily by RonBrowns 17 years who was offered to stay according to reports.

Rileys hires totals: 127 years, not including a WR coach who has not been hired.

So Rileys hires with one coach still to be named have nearly double the FBS/NFL coaching experience that Bos current guys did when they came to Nebraska.

HC Bill Callahan: 4 yrs FBS, 6 yrs NFL

OL Dennis Wagner: 8 yrs FBS, 0 yrs NFL

RB Randy Jordan: 0 yrs FBS, 1 yr NFL

WR Ted Gilmore: 6 yrs FBS, 0 yrs NFL

OC/QB Jay Novell: 7 yrs FBS, 4 yrs NFL

TE Scott Downing: 12 yrs FBS, 0 yrs NFL

DC/LB Kevin Cosgrove: 17 yrs FBS, 0 yrs NFL

S/ST Bill Busch: 5 yrs FBS, 0 yrs NFL

DL John Blake 7 yrs FBS, 2 yrs NFL

BC total: 79 yrs

BP total: 66 yrs

MR total (minus WR coach): 127 yrs

Pelini did much more with a less experienced staff compared to Callahan, so we can't get too wrapped up on the experience factor as a solo determinator. However, the fact that Riley has so much HC experience bodes well for him, and consequently, this could be a major contributor for how well this staff may perform.

• Fire 1

Someone inquired about the coaching experience of Riley's guys vs Bo's guys. I had some time to kill tonight and was actually pretty curious of the numbers myself, so I did some looking. Here is what I came up with:

Head Coach:

Mike Riley:

18 years FBS

4 years NFL

Bo Pelini:

5 years FBS

9 years NFL

I actually think you have to expand on this one as well. Being the HC of an NFL team is different from being an assistant or LB coach.

Really an old argument. Excuses like that only last so long. But you can win big at Oregon State. When Mike Riley left for the Chargers Dennis Erickson(big name proven) came in and coached them to a BCS bowl and win over Notre Dame.

Yes, Erickson was a heck of a college coach. Yet how did he go from 11-1 one season to 5-6 the next?

The thing that is always missed in the Erickson BS- Riley left OSU to go be the HEAD COACH OF AN NFL TEAM! Apparently people thought he was doing well enough at Oregon State that he got to move up to the highest possible position in his field...but yes, Erickson must be better because he won 11 games that next year.

• Fire 1

Head Coach:

Mike Riley:

18 years FBS

4 years NFL

Bo Pelini:

5 years FBS

9 years NFL

I actually think you have to expand on this one as well. Being the HC of an NFL team is different from being an assistant or LB coach.

I almost expanded into detail on this one.
  • Fire 1

Why is expierence the rallying cry for every Riley hire? Experience should just be one factor in a hire, along with past success, potential, etc.

Just because somebody has coached 30 years does not make them a great or even good coach.

Also, for a bunch of people that say "Bo is no longer our coach, move on", people seem to compare every Riley hire to Bo's coach at the same spot. Kind of funny.

You hire based upon your needs and vision. This is the same whether you are hiring a receptionist at a mortuary or a FCS head coach. You are running a multi million dollar operation.

This team first and foremost needs leadership. Leadership doesn't always come with experience, but the two do tend to be related. Secondly, they need people that can teach the game of football. Unless you are some kind of savant, this is also usually tied to experience. Someone that was a GA two years ago usually has not seen as many situations.

You also make the point that experience should only be one factor. What evidence do you have that it is the only factor be considered?

They are looking to close these two "gaps", so when someone like you are BV90210 comes on and questions every hire you're logically going to have to compare them to the most current state of the program. The team lacks leadership and coaching experience.

It comes down to who you would want to follow into battle. I'll take Alan Mulally over Mark Zuckerberg.

Yeah and all those years of experience and still no major titles......hmmmm

In that case Jerry Kill and his coaching staff suck too.

no argument here......

Mike Riley coached 4 years in the CFL. He won the whole damn thing twice and lost in the Eastern finals the 2 yesrs that he didn't win it all. He was Coach of the Year twice. That's 4 pretty damned good seasons of coaching. How effin difficult is it for people around here to wrap their minds around these simple facts? Good lord. Give the guy some credit.

• Fire 3

Yeah and all those years of experience and still no major titles......hmmmm

In that case Jerry Kill and his coaching staff suck too.

no argument here......

Mike Riley coached 4 years in the CFL. He won the whole damn thing twice and lost in the Eastern finals the 2 yesrs that he didn't win it all. He was Coach of the Year twice. That's 4 pretty damned good seasons of coaching. How effin difficult is it for people around here to wrap their minds around these simple facts? Good lord. Give the guy some credit.

Maybe he can start having the NU WR's go into forward motion before the snap!

• Fire 1