Over/Under on New Starters for 2015-16

Someone explain to me why JS won't be the starter. He was highly recruited by MR at OSU. All the talk is that we don't have a QB on the roster that would fit what MR wants to run, except we have one of his key recruits from a couple of years ago. Doesn't make sense to me.

As for TA, it will take a lot of coaching to get him to stop locking on to 1 receiver. Some guys never get passed that basic fundamental as a QB. I think TA has exceptional talent, but not at QB.

Because 17-25 guys get schollys every year. Teams have 105 guys on the travel roster. You play who is the the best.

I can't confirm this, but I think HCMR has recruited QBs that haven't started for him. Actually, he has one on his staff. Pretty interesting thread about Gunderson and his history started by Mavric.

I've posted this before and I'm going to do it again. I hope the best QB plays. That being said TA isn't that bad. He definitely has gaps, but he has upside too. I'm excited to see how he performs with a line that blocks and a position coach.

• Fire 1

My projected starters

QB- Tommy Arstrong

RB- Adam Taylor

T- Alex Lewis, David Knevel

G- Chongo Kondola, Givens Mordi Price

C- Ryne Reeves

TE- Cethan Carter

WR- DPE, Jordan Westercamp, Stanley Morgan

DE- McMullen, Joe Keels

DT- Maliek Collins, Vincent Valentine

LB- Micheal Rose, David Santos, Marcus Newby

CB- Daniel Davie, Joshua Kalu

S- Nate Gerry, Leroy Alexander

I agree mostly, although I'd be surprised if Burch/Allen don't play over Morgan. Even Reilly, although he's a different kind of WR than Morgan. Keels? I just dont see that...

Oh, and it's Westerkamp with a K..... A 'K' PEOPLE!

My projected starters

QB- Tommy Arstrong

RB- Adam Taylor

G- Chongo Kondola, Givens Mordi Price

C- Ryne Reeves

TE- Cethan Carter

WR- DPE, Jordan Westercamp, Stanley Morgan

DE- McMullen, Joe Keels

CB- Daniel Davie, Joshua Kalu

S- Nate Gerry, Leroy Alexander

I agree with all but QB and RB. Think we are going to see Stanton and Cross as starters.

Yes Riley went after Stanton, but Johnny wasn't going to walk in and take the starting job from mannion. Riley probably wanted to redshirt him, and have two years to work on him before he had a chance at the reigns

As of now all these Qbs are in year one of having a real QB coach. Tommy gets the early nod because of starting experience. Spring will play out, until then its almost asinine to think anyone other than Tommy would take the first snap if we played a game tomorrow

• Fire 2

Someone explain to me why JS won't be the starter. He was highly recruited by MR at OSU. All the talk is that we don't have a QB on the roster that would fit what MR wants to run, except we have one of his key recruits from a couple of years ago. Doesn't make sense to me.

As for TA, it will take a lot of coaching to get him to stop locking on to 1 receiver. Some guys never get passed that basic fundamental as a QB. I think TA has exceptional talent, but not at QB.

Because 17-25 guys get schollys every year. Teams have 105 guys on the travel roster. You play who is the the best.

I can't confirm this, but I think HCMR has recruited QBs that haven't started for him. Actually, he has one on his staff. Pretty interesting thread about Gunderson and his history started by Mavric.

I've posted this before and I'm going to do it again. I hope the best QB plays. That being said TA isn't that bad. He definitely has gaps, but he has upside too. I'm excited to see how he performs with a line that blocks and a position coach.

^This. I don't think TA is a finished product but I believe TA & new coaching will improve if not close a lot of gaps. If the O just gets crisper execution, that's 1 more win last year...

I love Stanton and hope he comes along and pushes for the starting spot. I just don't see TA NOT improving a lot.

One thing is for sure, we won't see entrenched starters this year. Under Pelini it seemed like once a guy became a starter he was almost impossible to dislodge on the depth chart. Even if someone better came along or another player's performance seemed to merit a promotion. (I'm not going to get into finger-pointing at any particular players. But I think most know what I mean.) This year under Riley you can be sure that he will play the guy who plays and fits best into his scheme. Regardless of where the guy was on last year's depth chart. I think it'll be a wide open race for each spot on the two deep. At least this first year it should be. Hard to say how Riley handles things going forward after this first season.

I think we are going to have more than a fee surprises. Particularly on the offensive line. And across the board there are guys who have seemed to get praise, but never really see the field, usually under the guise of "he's still swimming in it" or "he doesn't know the system" But with all of the previous systems out the door, and what sounds like on defense as a much more player friendly system, I really think we are going to have a few guys who will elicit comments of "Wow, why wasn't he playing last year?!"

• Fire 2

I think we are going to have more than a fee surprises. Particularly on the offensive line. And across the board there are guys who have seemed to get praise, but never really see the field, usually under the guise of "he's still swimming in it" or "he doesn't know the system" But with all of the previous systems out the door, and what sounds like on defense as a much more player friendly system, I really think we are going to have a few guys who will elicit comments of "Wow, why wasn't he playing last year?!"

Great point. I think most of those guys will be on defense and special teams,, but even that walk on running back from Burke is the kind of player I think is hidden gem.

I agree, I think he will too. I really liked Kalu, he was pretty good on ST too. Really curious to see how the D-backfield is going to shape up and if we'll see a lot of guys on the field. I think there are some good ones there.

I'd be surprised if Charles Jackson doesn't start.

I'll go with:

QB - Stanton

RB - Cross -or- Taylor

FB - Janovich

OT - Streup, Lewis

OG - Price, Kondolo

C - Reeves

DT - Valentine, Collins

DE - McMullen, Gangwish

LB - Banderas, Rose, Santos

CB - Davie, Jackson

S - Gerry, Alexander

So that's three on offense who didn't start at all (counting Janovich) and two on defense, both of whom were unavailable last year.

I'll go with:

QB - Stanton

RB - Cross -or- Taylor

FB - Janovich

OT - Streup, Lewis

OG - Price, Kondolo

C - Reeves

DT - Valentine, Collins

DE - McMullen, Gangwish

CB - Davie, Jackson

S - Gerry, Alexander

So that's three on offense who didn't start at all (counting Janovich) and two on defense, both of whom were unavailable last year.

WR: Westerkamp, DPE, Sam Burtch/ Turner/some other wideout

Nice lineup Mavric I would say Cethan Carter at TE if you were to swap TE for Fullback

I would give the nod to Tommy Armstrong and the O-line idk that would be the closest I can think of to our starting o-line next year

• Fire 1

My projected starters

QB- Tommy Armstrong or AJ Bush. Haven't decided yet.

RB- Adam Taylor OR Mikale Wilbon.

G- DJ Foster, Givens Mordi Price

C- Ryne Reeves

TE- Cethan Carter or Freedom (whichever he plays)

WR- DPE, Jordan Westerkamp, Stanley Morgan

DE- McMullen, Freedom (whichever he plays) OR Stolteberg, maybe.... Gangwish...

CB- Daniel Davie, Byerson Cockrell OR J Rose.

S- Nate Gerry, Leroy Alexander OR Charles Jackson (two most aggressive safeties in the nation with Gerry and CJax?)

Yeah, apparently I was too tired and forgot the receivers:

QB - Stanton
RB - Cross -or- Taylor
FB - Janovich
OT - Streup, Lewis
OG - Price, Kondolo
C - Reeves

TE - Carter

WR - Westerkamp, Burtch -or- DPE

DT - Valentine, Collins
DE - McMullen, Gangwish
CB - Davie, Jackson
S - Gerry, Alexander