Chatelain: Worst Husker Recruiting Class Ever

Mavric

- And what people said about it.

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like the 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause wrote the article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

How many different local writers need to write the same recruiting article?

For that article? Zero.

Seriously? Why is there such butthurt over this article? If anything, it shows that we're on an upward trajectory, and that perhaps Solich was the architect of his own demise--something that we still debate aro--

*Looks at calendar*

Nevermind, I forgot it's the f*****g offseason. Bitch away. We've got a while before the spring game.

• Fire 1

I'm sorry, but I see no reason for posts like this....

Because it's the offseason and we have nothing better to talk about? I don't mean this in a bad way towards the OP, I don't mind this post at all. I'm just saying it's February and even Dirk is grasping at things to write about. So if someone finds a reason to post something more power to em'.

you seem a bit biased on this Mav..?? all the article is saying is that there was rave reviews about the class of 2000 and after time passed, didn't turn out so well for those guys... why is this bad..??

Why is it bad? Because Dirk wrote it. That's all. Some people seem to have a problem with him because he's not "rah-rah Nebraska is the best team ever!" Which, as a reporter, isn't really his job.

It's national recruiting day. We just landed a pretty decent class, #31 in the nation. Sure, it's not a top ten class. But it's better than nearly any other team that went through a coaching change. Instead of finding something good to say about our new recruits our local sportswriter Dirk Chatelain writes that this class could end up like the 2000 class. A class we thought was decent when signed but didn't have any players who went on to win individual awards.

I don't care if it was Santa Clause who wrote that article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

odd...I read the whole article and didn't see him compare this class or even mention it..?? please refresh my memory.. Seems to me this article was simply about recruiting hype that may or may not be there, only time will tell.

panties, meet wad. wad, meet panties....!!!!

I don't care if it was Santa Clause who wrote that article. I'd still call him a fuckwad. It's NSD. Pour some damn Kool-Aid.

odd...I read the whole article and didn't see him compare this class or even mention it..?? please refresh my memory.. Seems to me this article was simply about recruiting hype that may or may not be there, only time will tell.

panties, meet wad. wad, meet panties....!!!!

Two things:

1) When a journalist posts an article on NSD entitled "The worst Husker recruiting class ever", it's a click bait article. Why would a legitimate sportswriter post an article on National Signing Day about a recruiting class 16 years ago? Wouldn't that article be more appropriate on one of the next 200 offseason days when there's nothing to write about? If is wasn't click-bait, wouldn't it have been more appropriate to entitle it: "The class of 2000--the worst Husker recruiting class ever" ?

2) I wear boxer briefs. Not panties. And yes, my boxer briefs get wadded from time to time. And as I look back at Dirk's article in view of the bolded portion of your post, I see that you are right. Dirk did not "write" that. I will edit my post above accordingly.

• Fire 3

Dirk has articles this whole week that touch on different aspects of NU recruiting history. McKewon is the main NU "reporter" for OWH, while Dirk is a columnist. It's Dirk's job to write opinionated articles. It does get old that he tends to put on a negative spin on things more often than not. He has stated that he grew up watching and loving the NU Huskers of the mid-90s, so he tends to have a high standard when it comes to the football team.

I like some of the stuff he writes, and I don't like some of the stuff. I am not going to say "it sucks" just because it's written by Dirk.

• Fire 2

I don't do this kind of homework myself, so I appreciate Chatelain doing it for me.

It's actually pretty interesting, what with being "unprecedented in Nebraska history."

Maybe a turning point in the program that you would never have known at the time, but relevant when you look back 14 years later.

I recognized only six names as being Husker players AT ALL, much less being any good.

And for some reason I took it as a positive.

My Kool-Aid says a smart 31st ranked class beats an over-hyped and under-vetted 17th ranked class.

And if by "click bait" we mean getting people to read an article, I'm not sure what else a news organization can do. This piece does not appear to misrepresent the facts, unlike the penis-enlarger ads that keep popping up on my internet browser and the bastards who refuse to refund my money.

I agree with NUance that the title was deliberately misleading, and should have stated the 2000 class.

Man, Ross Pilkington was a pretty good go-to guy at WR. I forget why he decided to walk away. I just recall being disappointed because we needed him out there.

Pilkington played minor league baseball for a couple years out of high school (graduated in 2000). He got an arm injury and quit baseball. He enrolled at NU in January 2002. Since he was older, he might have just been sick of being involved in athletics, and was just ready to be a regular student.

On a side note, my little brother went to a NU Athletics "garage sale" they used to have to get rid of old jerseys and other stuff. He got a game-worn #2 jersey, which was Pilkington's number then.