Talent Depth This Year

Agree with most. Great post!

But:

100% disagree with McMullen. He is one starting DE for the next two years. He isn't flashy but makes plays.

Also disagree about safety being that thin. Gerry is an all-league safety for the next two years. Alexander was starting as a RSFR, he isn't a scrub. Cockrell filled in decently when Cooper was out. Williams has all the athletic ability in the world, just arrived late last year to really learn the system and was stuck behind a STUD and a 5th year captain. Also don't forget Kalu was a safety his HS career.

OL

- We have a ton of guys at this spot on scholarship. We have the size and the skill set to have a strong two deep talent if their coach and strength coach are good developers. I have thought this position group has underperformed for a few years now. I didn't understand why one week coaches were talking about Knevel like he was a sure NFL talent and a sure starting Left Tackle, and then he hardly sees the field. There were a lot of head scratching moments with several players. Guys disappeared in the depth chart and were claimed to not be ready to play. Yet Riley comes in and Cavanaugh comes in salivating saying they have never had this much talent on a team at this position before. At tackle you have Lewis, Finnin, Johnson, Knevel, Sterup, Gates, Gaylord, etc. At Guard/Center you have Farmer, Foster, Hannon, Kondolo, Price, Reeves, Barnett, Decker, etc. There are a lot of scholarship bodies here and there is no reason we can't have a good two deep.

I think this right here is the most interesting group of them all. We have so many bodies here and so many of those bodies were highly thought of coming out of HS. I can see why our new coaches are excited about them.

The question is, why were they so inconsistent before now? Is it because they aren't as good as thought of out of HS? Was it bad coaching? Was in the scheme they were being told to play in?

I am very interested to see what kind of blocking scheme and techniques they teach these guys. Hopefully, it is a scheme that they can truly show their abilities in and they develop as a unit to be dominant.

The entire rest of the team will look like they have elevated their play if this one group improves.

• Fire 1

OL

- We have a ton of guys at this spot on scholarship. We have the size and the skill set to have a strong two deep talent if their coach and strength coach are good developers. I have thought this position group has underperformed for a few years now. I didn't understand why one week coaches were talking about Knevel like he was a sure NFL talent and a sure starting Left Tackle, and then he hardly sees the field. There were a lot of head scratching moments with several players. Guys disappeared in the depth chart and were claimed to not be ready to play. Yet Riley comes in and Cavanaugh comes in salivating saying they have never had this much talent on a team at this position before. At tackle you have Lewis, Finnin, Johnson, Knevel, Sterup, Gates, Gaylord, etc. At Guard/Center you have Farmer, Foster, Hannon, Kondolo, Price, Reeves, Barnett, Decker, etc. There are a lot of scholarship bodies here and there is no reason we can't have a good two deep.

I think this right here is the most interesting group of them all. We have so many bodies here and so many of those bodies were highly thought of coming out of HS. I can see why our new coaches are excited about them.

The question is, why were they so inconsistent before now? Is it because they aren't as good as thought of out of HS? Was it bad coaching? Was in the scheme they were being told to play in?

I am very interested to see what kind of blocking scheme and techniques they teach these guys. Hopefully, it is a scheme that they can truly show their abilities in and they develop as a unit to be dominant.

The entire rest of the team will look like they have elevated their play if this one group improves.

On offense, I agree. On defense, we need quite an upgrade in LB play. If we see considerable improvement in those two player groups, we'll be completely fine this year.

I think Riley and Langdorf's offense main changes will be use of TE's/FB's and even HB's in the passing game. The run game will be fairly simplistic, but with a more aggressive blocking scheme instead of zone blocking. Also I would expect cleaner routes by the WR's that threaten any defense. It seems to me that the past few years the offensive playcalling was more reactive than proactive. I would like to see the offense control what the defense is doing instead of vise versa.

Again this is all guessing by me and I'm no coordinator unless you consider yelling "RUN THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv experience as an OC.

• Fire 2

OL

Totally 1,ooo,ooo % agree.

This is where it's at. Not just because of the obvious effect the offensive line has on the game, but because of some of the young talent waiting in line for their shot, and the simplification in offense. The offensive line will be coached far better than they have been in a long time and their jobs will be much more clear. If you watched Oregon St. at all, you see a bit of Wisconsin in them. They commit a lot of power to the point of attack. Not overly complicated, but very effective. It's time we get back to the glory days up front and I agree, this is where I'm most interested to see who does what.

I think Riley and Langdorf's offense main changes will be use of TE's/FB's and even HB's in the passing game. The run game will be fairly simplistic, but with a more aggressive blocking scheme instead of zone blocking. Also I would expect cleaner routes by the WR's that threaten any defense. It seems to me that the past few years the offensive playcalling was more reactive than proactive. I would like to see the offense control what the defense is doing instead of vise versa.

Again this is all guessing by me and I'm no coordinator unless you consider yelling "RUN THE DAMN BALL!" at the tv experience as an OC.

Most definitely was. I wrote a post regarding how Scott Frost and Oregon wants to dictate the game and how that compares to Beck's "reactive" offense. I remember reading Beck's whole conversation he had with someone and how the offense is "read and react". Having watched this last season, and his love of zone blocking and read routes, it most definitely was that type of offense, and his play-calling reflected that. There is always a time and place to "read and react" during the course of a football game, but Beck's mentality seemed to emphasize it to an extreme. I think that was some of the root of the issues we had. Turnovers, mental mistakes, etc. I think those may have stemmed from each player needing to read the field, and read the play in "real time" rather than just flat out "running a post" in lieu of running a read route dependent on the movement of the safety after the snap.

I've complained about this a lot on here. Don't get me wrong though, Beck had plenty of plays that were more of an attack approach, but I just saw too many mistakes that caused issues due to "reading".

So in other words:

"I agree with you!"

The talent is there, but I hope these guys can pick up Riley's system quickly.

I think this staff understands coaching a bit better than the last staff. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Yes, these players have a lot to learn/unlearn but I don't think they're going to have it all thrown at them at once. Yes, Riley and staff want these guys to run their system, but they understand that takes time.

They'll ease into the transition. They'll give the guys what they can handle and if it goes well, they'll give more. If it's not going well, they'll pull back a bit It won't be like the same garbage we're used to seeing around here where we watch the coach bitch for the next seven years how the guys "just aren't executing his system".

Imagine it! A fullback in the game as a lead blocker! Glorious!

I hope this staff heads that direction with the run game. Imagine it? A north and south run game with a QB under center. Amazing.

An offensive line that understand their assignments because they know where the run is going and they attack the defense in that spot? Crazy thinking, I know.

As far as WR's, how about attacking the middle of the field? Using mismatches with opposing defenses? Running crossing routes and exposing the middle of the field like every other team in the world does instead of chucking it deep for forty yards every time we're in a passing situation? Or how about dumping it off to the HB or running the HB on a crossing route when he's matched up against a opposing linebacker? HB screen against overly aggressive defenses?

Simple stuff really. The stuff every other team in the country did that Tim Beck didn't even know exists.......

Sorry. This thread got me a little excited. Good stuff.

If you watched Oregon St. at all, you see a bit of Wisconsin in them. They commit a lot of power to the point of attack. Not overly complicated, but very effective. .

The obvious question is, if Oregon State's OL play was "very effective".....and Riley is known for quarterback development......why no championships?......why losing records?

• Fire 1