LJS: "React" is the word on D"

zoogs

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/spring-ball-day-react-is-the-word-on-d/article_35ffc1d0-c6b8-11e4-841c-67257312e5e7.html

Sorry if this has been posted in one of the other threads.

Two practices in and it's pretty clear Michael Rose-Ivey likes the opportunities for linebackers in Mark Banker's scheme.

"Fast. No thinking. React," the junior linebacker said in describing it.

He said "react" was probably the word used the most when evaluating Saturday's Day 1 film.

Before we all go jump off a cliff with the terminology, I thought some of the criticism of Bo's defenses were odd, too. I mean, maybe it was too complicated a system for his coaches to teach his players to run, but of course you want the defense to respond to what the offense is doing. Time will probably tell if this ends up being a better direction. Right now it's just Spring talk.

I like the quote at the end from Banker about how they want to make guys into experts at their positions, though. Just kind of a general theme with this staff. Experts, teachers, technique.

• Fire 1

I haven't followed too closely to the practice reports / new coaching strategies, but i think Count summed it up pretty good. With Bo, it seemed more along the lines of a scheme along the lines of filling a certain spot on the field - allowing others to get come in and make the play because there was no where for the ball runner to go. While under Banker, it seems more of a fly to the ball and hit the guy approach. I would say both have their positives and negatives, only time will tell which scheme is better for the players.

I haven't followed too closely to the practice reports / new coaching strategies, but i think Count summed it up pretty good. With Bo, it seemed more along the lines of a scheme along the lines of filling a certain spot on the field - allowing others to get come in and make the play because there was no where for the ball runner to go. While under Banker, it seems more of a fly to the ball and hit the guy approach. I would say both have their positives and negatives, only time will tell which scheme is better for the players.

I think Banker's style is more suited for college where football isn't and can't be your full-time job.

what about playing with their hair on fire and taking what they want and imposing their will and etc!??!

I would prefer they each play like a man possessed.

Preferably possessed by some sort of tackling demon

I want our guys locked in cages and poked with scalding metal rods until they are foaming at the mouth and want to straight up murder anyone holding a ball.

• Fire 3

what about playing with their hair on fire and taking what they want and imposing their will and etc!??!

I would prefer they each play like a man possessed.

Preferably possessed by some sort of tackling demon

I want our guys locked in cages and poked with scalding metal rods until they are foaming at the mouth and want to straight up murder anyone holding a ball.

wk62xv3.gif

• Fire 1

i hope Banker plays with some discipline........i worry about this guy.

Well we've already seen over-thinking and undisciplined defense. Let's try some play fast read and react defense. If it's also undisciplined it still might be more affective than the last few years.

I just hope Banker can adjust when an offense throws a wrinkle at him that he didn't expect. Pelini defenses were like turtles. Flip them on their back with an unexpected wrinkle, and it was game over.

• Fire 1

I think Banker's style is more suited for college where football isn't and can't be your full-time job.

I agree with you. For many players, particularly outside of defensive line, it took 2-3 years to fully grasp. Some sooner than later of course. By then they don't have many games left together to reap the benefits. They graduate, new players come in, and the process starts over. Now if they had 5-7 years of "on field game experience" in his defense, they would dominate from year 4 through 7. But as you mentioned, if this was a full-time job it would cut that time in half, easily.