LJS: "React" is the word on D"

zoogs

what about playing with their hair on fire and taking what they want and imposing their will and etc!??!

I would prefer they each play like a man possessed.

Preferably possessed by some sort of tackling demon

I want our guys locked in cages and poked with scalding metal rods until they are foaming at the mouth and want to straight up murder anyone holding a ball.

wk62xv3.gif

i prefer controlled, thoughtful aggression.

i hope Banker plays with some discipline........i worry about this guy.

Well we've already seen over-thinking and undisciplined defense. Let's try some play fast read and react defense. If it's also undisciplined it still might be more affective than the last few years.

I just hope Banker can adjust when an offense throws a wrinkle at him that he didn't expect. Pelini defenses were like turtles. Flip them on their back with an unexpected wrinkle, and it was game over.

:laughpound Turtles!

• Fire 1

I like what I am hearing. However, every year under Bo, I felt the same way. The staff has to not only build attitude and ability, but a new mentality. I want to see what happens the first time Wisky gets a 80 yard run off the jet sweep. Does the team fold or get pissed.

The team needs a new scheme. Yes, scheme and stupidity gave up some of NU's worst performances EVER.

I like that the D appears to be given less reads and less responsibility. See ball, tackle ball. No more 2 gap, refusal to stack the box and make Stave beat us with his arm crap, keeping safeties high cuz the passing attack is coming soon crap. Defensive guru my a$$.

• Fire 1

All hype and buzzwords. Every team from pop warner to the NFl reacts on Defense. Prove it on the field. Until our players learn to wrap up, LB's with real speed and DL that doesnt get blow off the ball by the likes of Wisconsin and Minnesota O lineman doesnt really matter who is coaching.

This is a new coaching staff working with new players, so unfortunately this is all we have to go on right now. There is new optimism (for most people) that the new staff will actually get it, unlike what we were fed every year of the last regime. Yes, talk is cheap, but with not having even played a down yet, it's better than nothing.

Sometimes I got the feeling the guys were playing to not make mistakes instead of playing to make plays. The hesitation of some of them was obvious.

I just hope this staff can bring back the Blackshirt swagger...there were flashes of it throughout the previous regime, but once it got tough more times than not they folded.

For all the good things we were doing last couple years there was a glaring share of bad that balanced it out. One series we go 3 and out and make them look silly. The next series we allow a 7 play 80 yard drive with penalties galore.

I just want some consistency and tenacity.

what about playing with their hair on fire and taking what they want and imposing their will and etc!??!

I want our guys locked in cages and poked with scalding metal rods until they are foaming at the mouth and want to straight up murder anyone holding a ball.

And then getting a 15 yard penalty for scaring the QB or hitting him below the knees or above the knees or even thinking about him in a not warm and fuzzy way.

I like what I am hearing. However, every year under Bo, I felt the same way. The staff has to not only build attitude and ability, but a new mentality. I want to see what happens the first time Wisky gets a 80 yard run off the jet sweep. Does the team fold or get pissed.

I'm with you on this. I especially felt this way prior to the 2014 season, during the summers and Fall Camp. It really felt like the team was ready to take the next step, overcome previous demons and play like we all knew they were capable of playing. They were obviously unable to do that.

I noticed a lot of people talking about these guys playing with a fire under the ass, but there also has to be technique and sound fundamental play with it. I've never felt like our guys lacked conviction or determination - just that the coaching wasn't good enough to consistently put them in the best position to be successful.

Spring ball to me is all about satisfying a football itch, but we all know what really matters is who makes the play in practice and whether they can transition that to the football field come fall. Clearly whatever the previous staff was trying wasn't working for any number of reasons. If simpler is in fact the name of the game, and it means our guys are going to play better ball, then I'm all for it.

• Fire 1

Well, that's a bit 50 shades of gray...or maybe 50 shades of red....and though it causes me a bit of mental discomfort, your idea is still quite appealing.