Camping Out: Running Backs

Every player has strengths and weaknesses, and Cross is no exception. I think this year will tell us a lot about what people think Cross can/can't do. He's shown in the past that he's not the best runner laterally, but that he can make things happen when he sees the hole and goes vertical.

If we go off our best educated guess about the type of offense Riley wants to run, Cross may not see a lot of PT. He's not necessarily quick in space and he's not really the guy I want to see catching a pass out of the backfield. If it's 2nd and 1 at the goal line, hammer away with a Cross. If you're running a RB screen or a stretch run, I'd take a different back.

• Fire 1

I listened to the OWH Pick 6 podcast (Nyatawa & McKewon), and Sam basically said that Cross should be the 4th or 5th string RB. He thinks that Newby, Wilbon, Stevenson, and even Taylor should get carries in front of him. Sam went on to say that for some reason, the young backs just couldn't grasp Beck's system, and that's why Cross was the main backup the past 2 years.

I suppose it had nothing to do with him getting more yards per carry than Newby. If he is the 4th string running back, that is a GREAT thing. I felt like Beck's system, (the delayed handoff and read, played better to Ameer's strength's and Cross would have benefited from more straight ahead power running. But even in that system, which should have favored Newby, Cross averaged more yards. Don't understand the lack of love for Cross on this board. He may not have the cuts that Ameer and Newby flash, but what he does, he does very well. Show me another back in the BIG, with as high a percentage of short yardage carries, averaging 5+ yards/carry.

Be honest...are you Imani Cross?

I listened to the OWH Pick 6 podcast (Nyatawa & McKewon), and Sam basically said that Cross should be the 4th or 5th string RB. He thinks that Newby, Wilbon, Stevenson, and even Taylor should get carries in front of him. Sam went on to say that for some reason, the young backs just couldn't grasp Beck's system, and that's why Cross was the main backup the past 2 years.

I suppose it had nothing to do with him getting more yards per carry than Newby. If he is the 4th string running back, that is a GREAT thing. I felt like Beck's system, (the delayed handoff and read, played better to Ameer's strength's and Cross would have benefited from more straight ahead power running. But even in that system, which should have favored Newby, Cross averaged more yards. Don't understand the lack of love for Cross on this board. He may not have the cuts that Ameer and Newby flash, but what he does, he does very well. Show me another back in the BIG, with as high a percentage of short yardage carries, averaging 5+ yards/carry.

I've always felt Beck had Imani do things that weren't his strengths. I'd sigh every time he get called to run laterally and didn't get the chance to get downhill. Felt Cross could've complemented Ameer...if used properly. That's my hope with Riley's philosophy in the run game. He likes to get north/south in general offensively fron what I've seen. BTW, welcome!
  • Fire 2

531Nebraska%20Begins%20Football.JPEG

Surprise arrival Jordan Stevenson joins Nebraska RB battle

BY STEVE BEIDECK Associated Press AUGUST 7, 2015 Miami Herald
Nebraska opened practice Thursday night with the competition at running back the featured position battle. Terrell Newby came out of the spring as the front-runner in the race to succeed three-time 1,000-yard rusher Ameer Abdullah. But the surprise arrival of heralded recruit Jordan Stevenson of Dallas has added plenty of intrigue.
<snip>
Stevenson's enthusiasm was apparent before the first warmup drill. He implored the offensive linemen to get pumped up, shouting encouragement to the players he hopes will be opening big holes for him. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound Stevenson averaged 180.7 rushing yards and 9.8 yards per carry as a senior at South Oak Cliff High School. He ended the year with 2,530 yards and 28 touchdowns.
This is a great development! Who would've thought it a couple months back?

I've always felt Beck had Imani do things that weren't his strengths. I'd sigh every time he get called to run laterally and didn't get the chance to get downhill. Felt Cross could've complemented Ameer...if used properly. That's my hope with Riley's philosophy in the run game. He likes to get north/south in general offensively fron what I've seen. BTW, welcome!

I was just joking about being Imani's mom, in case anyone took that seriously.

I think Nebraska is blessed with five great running backs, Wilbon, Stevenson, Taylor, Newby and Imani. Different strengths and weaknesses. Like you, I feel if used properly every one of these backs could be a huge contributor. Imani is the only one of these five getting dissed into non relevancy on this board. Riley may want to develop the backs that will be around more than one season, so maybe Imani will get benched his senior year. If so, I would be disappointed.

I like the power running game and would love to see Imani smashing opponents as part of the total offensive package. Ten TD's in his senior year and I will be happy regardless of the yards.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

I think Imani gets dished into irrelevancy because of his body type and previous contributions. He got somewhat looked over at times in previous seasons, a lot of that was due to AA's talent, but also Cross' abilities, IMHO. Combine that with what people THINK Riley will run this year, in terms of the type of offense, and Cross may just not be the guy needed on most downs.

I also heard from two people who watched practice yesterday that Cross didn't look good catching passes in the backfield. In fact, he dropped four of them in the first hour. That said, I heard quite a few people had problems yesterday. First day of practice so shouldn't read too much into it, though. Just observations from yesterday.

I think Imani gets dished into irrelevancy because of his body type and previous contributions. He got somewhat looked over at times in previous seasons, a lot of that was due to AA's talent, but also Cross' abilities, IMHO. Combine that with what people THINK Riley will run this year, in terms of the type of offense, and Cross may just not be the guy needed on most downs.

I also heard from two people who watched practice yesterday that Cross didn't look good catching passes in the backfield. In fact, he dropped four of them in the first hour. That said, I heard quite a few people had problems yesterday. First day of practice so shouldn't read too much into it, though. Just observations from yesterday.

His contribution? He's been steadily more productive as time has went on through his career with both ypc and tds where he got quite a few (10?) Last year.

A bunch of comments - not the least of which from Riley - that Stevenson is quite a ways behind in the conditioning department. That's not surprising - actually, you'd hope that would be the case. But, while people are impressed with his potential, it sounds like he's got a long ways to go to be up to speed with the other backs.

"Game" conditioning will take 2 weeks. We are talking about an elite athlete not one of us.

Secondly, this is just a guess, but he is so amped up right now that he probably goes balls out on every drill, so a few minutes into it he looks ragged...think of the first time you had sex...you think you can give it your all but you find out that you can last about a minute and are totally out of breath...and crying.

• Fire 1