Camping Out: Running Backs

Running Backs: Terrell Newby is getting the lion's share of the carries with the top group, and he's doing what the coaches want. There's nothing wrong with how Newby is playing; it just doesn't look like Ameer Abdullah did last year or Rex Burkhead did a few years before that. That could change. Behind Newby, Mikale Wilbon looks lighter and quicker than he did in spring, and Jordan Stevenson, despite having some weight to lose, has some nifty moves. He's also a willing learner. Among the big backs, you have Adam Taylor, Imani Cross and Graham Nabity all in a bunch, with Cross (for now) getting more reps with the top unit. Taylor will be a better runner with pads on, and Nebraska hasn't worn those yet. Devine Ozigbo is put together nicely but needs to work on his vision. He's elusive enough, though.

Since catching passes and pass protection will be a bigger part of a Nebraska running back's job going forward, Newby and Wilbon might be a little ahead there.

OWH

On the future of Husker RB's ... you might want to get out in front of this kid from Katy. You have one of our finest in Adam Taylor. You missed out on Rodney Anderson (went to the Sooners) he will haunt ya'll one day. Now here comes Deondrick Glass ... QB, RB, wide out. This is his 8th grade video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSgMHKYJvY

Our (Katy HS) recruiting seems to be working. His father was offered a job in Allen TX. to play for the Allen Eagles, but their per diem was only enough to get a one Bedroom apt. Here in Katy we offer a ranch with some cattle

On the future of Husker RB's ... you might want to get out in front of this kid from Katy. You have one of our finest in Adam Taylor. You missed out on Rodney Anderson (went to the Sooners) he will haunt ya'll one day. Now here comes Deondrick Glass ... QB, RB, wide out. This is his 8th grade video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSgMHKYJvY

Our (Katy HS) recruiting seems to be working. His father was offered a job in Allen TX. to play for the Allen Eagles, but their per diem was only enough to get a one Bedroom apt. Here in Katy we offer a ranch with some cattle

Glass looks like a talented kid. Which position do you think he will gravitate towards through high school and into his college recruitment?

Also, we don't play in the same conference as the Sooners anymore, so he'll probably haunt a lot more teams before he does us :).

I think the reason many feel that Cross is not a good running back, is watching him in run plays in Bo's offense that were designed for a more shifty running style. We remember the lateral run that ended in a touchback, and several delayed, zone read plays in which he didn't achieve what we expected when Ameer carried the ball. However, on the play calls that fit his running style, straight ahead handoffs with a designed hole, he performed very well. So well, his YPC exceeds Newbys.

I prefer a power running game, and my favorite runnings included Larry Czonka, and Marv Hubbard, which dates me. Used properly, Imani would be a great weapon to have. But to take a senior RB and dismiss him into oblivion seems, I don't know, just don't understand it at all. Not at all. Anyone remember the previous Spring game? 100 yards on six carries?

Imani averaged 7.2 yards per carry in the games that Nebraska lost, but he was only given 3 carries per game. I'm just going to have to go back to drinking Scotch. The world is all smart and shifty, and football is some thinking game I just don't understand anymore. Everyone must be right.

I think the reason many feel that Cross is not a good running back, is watching him in run plays in Bo's offense that were designed for a more shifty running style. We remember the lateral run that ended in a touchback, and several delayed, zone read plays in which he didn't achieve what we expected when Ameer carried the ball. However, on the play calls that fit his running style, straight ahead handoffs with a designed hole, he performed very well. So well, his YPC exceeds Newbys.

I prefer a power running game, and my favorite runnings included Larry Czonka, and Marv Hubbard, which dates me. Used properly, Imani would be a great weapon to have. But to take a senior RB and dismiss him into oblivion seems, I don't know, just don't understand it at all. Not at all. Anyone remember the previous Spring game? 100 yards on six carries?

Imani averaged 7.2 yards per carry in the games that Nebraska lost, but he was only given 3 carries per game. I'm just going to have to go back to drinking Scotch. The world is all smart and shifty, and football is some thinking game I just don't understand anymore. Everyone must be right.

Well, from recent reports, the coaching staff favors zone read run plays as their base run O, which as you state are not particularly Cross' strength. Instead, he is more of an up-the-middle kind of guy, so I guess I don't see why you are so surprised that he is lower in the depth chart given the offensive scheme the coaches favor.

Enhance89 ... I would imagine with the decades long history of running out of the "I" formation, I would imagine he would be used as a RB. I, however, with the abundance of running backs Katy traditionally has, I would like to see him at QB. That would add a whole new dimension to our offense. With the talent and skills this kid has he could be effectice at a number of positions. The Katy coaching staff puts the talent where it is needed. I've seen them put a top notch QB at a DB position. The players and their parents trust the Coaches to do what is best for the team. The coaches do not embrace super stars and setting records. They embrace

and drill into the players a team first attitude and winning championships.

Oh, I had a senior moment there and forgot about the conference change ... maybe I need to get with XLBDER and have a few adult beverages