Camping Out: Running Backs

I think the reason many feel that Cross is not a good running back, is watching him in run plays in Bo's offense that were designed for a more shifty running style. We remember the lateral run that ended in a touchback, and several delayed, zone read plays in which he didn't achieve what we expected when Ameer carried the ball. However, on the play calls that fit his running style, straight ahead handoffs with a designed hole, he performed very well. So well, his YPC exceeds Newbys.

I prefer a power running game, and my favorite runnings included Larry Czonka, and Marv Hubbard, which dates me. Used properly, Imani would be a great weapon to have. But to take a senior RB and dismiss him into oblivion seems, I don't know, just don't understand it at all. Not at all. Anyone remember the previous Spring game? 100 yards on six carries?

I say this every time Cross' name gets mentioned and no one ever responds to it. HE RUNS TOO HIGH. The dude is a load right? Yes, but he falls over with a small breeze. His long runs are never because he runs through people like he should with his size. He gets long runs because the gap was there and no second level there to stop him.

Also, to make a point in the zone read. Everyone who thinks zone read is all lateral runs needs to do some research. Zone read can and should be run vertically too. Although it's actually a "Veer" out of the shotgun.

I will say Beck was more of a pass routes/concepts coach than he was at developing run game concepts. Still ran for alot of yards regardless of his specialty.

• Fire 1

I say this every time Cross' name gets mentioned and no one ever responds to it. HE RUNS TOO HIGH. The dude is a load right? Yes, but he falls over with a small breeze. His long runs are never because he runs through people like he should with his size. He gets long runs because the gap was there and no second level there to stop him.

Also, to make a point in the zone read. Everyone who thinks zone read is all lateral runs needs to do some research. Zone read can and should be run vertically too. Although it's actually a "Veer" out of the shotgun.

I will say Beck was more of a pass routes/concepts coach than he was at developing run game concepts. Still ran for alot of yards regardless of his specialty.

I'm still going to ignore and not respond to your good addition to this topic... But yeah, his long run against MSU happened because we spread them out, their LB on that side was too far outside of the box, leaving that second level completely wide open. He just hit it and he was gone. His best run was the spins against Wyoming. He has the speed, and is a good size, but as you said, there are just some issues keeping him from being a great RB.

Yeah, I like the veer and "inverted veer" variation on the ZR. At least, I've seen it called inverted because the QB is the inside runner, and RB being outside. TM seemed to take more advantage of the inverted variation more than Tommy. But maybe I'm remembering that because TM broke for more yardage than Tommy does. I remember one of the runs against KSU where he ran the "inverted veer" and the KSU guy was right there to make the play, but TM just darting right past him (and everyone else) for a 30+ yard TD.

Can we stop re-posting random twitter posts and reading way too much into them?

Is it your first day on Huskerboard?

That is about 97% of the board.

Can we stop re-posting random twitter posts and reading way too much into them?

Probably not. That's what we do here.

Meh, I don't mind people overanalysing the crap out of things but it gets a little creepy and personal when it's a player's vague twitter posts where they don't even mention football.

Talking about Wilbon last year on the scout team. Glad Bo stuck with that gameplan

wait, what?

this actually happened?

I seem to recall preparation for the 2012 CCG was similar. Disappointing no adjustments were made given the practice results. Hopefully the current staff can unlock the mystery of stopping Wiscy's sophisticated offense :facepalm: . Defense is complicated though...

Talking about Wilbon last year on the scout team. Glad Bo stuck with that gameplan

https://twitter.com/foreman5655/status/631493810392989696

wait, what?

this actually happened?

I seem to recall preparation for the 2012 CCG was similar. Disappointing no adjustments were made given the practice results. Hopefully the current staff can unlock the mystery of stopping Wiscy's sophisticated offense :facepalm: . Defense is complicated though...

Riley has stopped them before

https://twitter.com/foreman5655/status/631493810392989696

wait, what?

this actually happened?

Riley has stopped them before
Yup 2012. Held them to 7 points, 35 yards rushing on 23 carries.