Camping Out: Running Backs

Talking about Wilbon last year on the scout team. Glad Bo stuck with that gameplan

https://twitter.com/foreman5655/status/631493810392989696

wait, what?

this actually happened?

I seem to recall preparation for the 2012 CCG was similar. Disappointing no adjustments were made given the practice results. Hopefully the current staff can unlock the mystery of stopping Wiscy's sophisticated offense :facepalm: . Defense is complicated though...
Riley has stopped them before
Yup 2012. Held them to 7 points, 35 yards rushing on 23 carries.

Didn't we play well against Wiscy during the regular season? I believe that was the year where they had a lot of early season drama with their OL coach which they fired and then hired one of their GA's.

Talking about Wilbon last year on the scout team. Glad Bo stuck with that gameplan

https://twitter.com/foreman5655/status/631493810392989696

wait, what?

this actually happened?

I seem to recall preparation for the 2012 CCG was similar. Disappointing no adjustments were made given the practice results. Hopefully the current staff can unlock the mystery of stopping Wiscy's sophisticated offense :facepalm: . Defense is complicated though...
Riley has stopped them before
Yup 2012. Held them to 7 points, 35 yards rushing on 23 carries.

Didn't we play well against Wiscy during the regular season? I believe that was the year where they had a lot of early season drama with their OL coach which they fired and then hired one of their GA's.

We played a good half. And somehow stopped them on offense to secure a win.

5. RB Mikale Wilbon may be the real deal.

The diminutive (5-8, 190) redshirt freshman from Chicago has really come on dating back to the spring. Mike Riley says Wilbon has a developing grasp of the offense. Even better: The guy is just a nifty blazer with some shake, giddy-up and playmaking ability. And that’s needed in a backfield that has lost all-time great Ameer Abdullah. It’s a crowded Nebraska RB corps that appears to be led by junior Terrell Newby. There also is sophomore Adam Taylor and burly senior Imani Cross, whose role appears to be undefined. True freshman Jordan Stevenson shows flashes. He’s the kid who was denied admission to Wisconsin and recently landed in Lincoln. But the 5-9, 205-pound Stevenson needs to get into better shape.

BTN

Two of Nebraska's running backs stand out to me: Terrell Newby and Mikale Wilbon. Newby hits holes hard and runs downhill, and that's part of what Nebraska's new offense requires. Newby seemed hesitant in his first two years at NU, but he seems much less so in this camp. Wilbon is more of a jitterbug, which may make him a nice option in the screen game, but he also has a nose for moving a defense, then darting into a backside hole created by pursuit. Before his ankle ailment, Jordan Stevenson was showing flashes of good stuff - quick jump cuts, good acceleration - but sitting out even a week of workouts may force the issue as to whether Stevenson redshirts. A year in Nebraska's system - strength and conditioning, diet, academic support - could do wonders for Stevenson. Either way, he'll need to be patient. Among bigger backs, Imani Cross - again in great shape - pass blocks the best and has run well enough. Adam Taylor fits in and may be the best tackle-breaker. Devine Ozigbo has potential but could be a good redshirt candidate. He needs to learn the offense and get better in the pass blocking department. He's not yet the runner Newby or Wilbon is.

OWH

531Nebraska%20Begins%20Football.JPEG

Surprise arrival Jordan Stevenson joins Nebraska RB battle

BY STEVE BEIDECK Associated Press AUGUST 7, 2015 Miami Herald
Nebraska opened practice Thursday night with the competition at running back the featured position battle. Terrell Newby came out of the spring as the front-runner in the race to succeed three-time 1,000-yard rusher Ameer Abdullah. But the surprise arrival of heralded recruit Jordan Stevenson of Dallas has added plenty of intrigue.
<snip>
Stevenson's enthusiasm was apparent before the first warmup drill. He implored the offensive linemen to get pumped up, shouting encouragement to the players he hopes will be opening big holes for him. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound Stevenson averaged 180.7 rushing yards and 9.8 yards per carry as a senior at South Oak Cliff High School. He ended the year with 2,530 yards and 28 touchdowns.
This is a great development! Who would've thought it a couple months back?

I am getting all sorts of grief from Wisconsin fan I work with about Nebraska athletic standards.

Nebraska opened practice Thursday night with the competition at running back the featured position battle. Terrell Newby came out of the spring as the front-runner in the race to succeed three-time 1,000-yard rusher Ameer Abdullah. But the surprise arrival of heralded recruit Jordan Stevenson of Dallas has added plenty of intrigue.

<snip>

Stevenson's enthusiasm was apparent before the first warmup drill. He implored the offensive linemen to get pumped up, shouting encouragement to the players he hopes will be opening big holes for him. The 5-foot-9, 205-pound Stevenson averaged 180.7 rushing yards and 9.8 yards per carry as a senior at South Oak Cliff High School. He ended the year with 2,530 yards and 28 touchdowns.

LINK

I am getting all sorts of grief from Wisconsin fan I work with about Nebraska athletic standards.
Ive never met a wisconsinite that I liked
  • Fire 2

<snip>

LINK

Ive never met a wisconsinite that I liked

There's a few good ones out there. I lived there for about nine years.

<snip>

Easy ammo:

If they're talking academic standards, respond with how humorous it is that UW-Madison thinks they're the Harvard of the midwest, and that they've chased away two great coaches to worse jobs because of their overly-strict standards.

If they're talking athletic standards, respond that ours are championships.