Kevin Williams - "I'm not a backup!!!!"

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I will say this though. He needs to be concerned about practice and who is also trying to win that starting spot instead of what the media is saying. I've never seen anything in the media negative about him. He wasn't the starter last year so I don't know what he expects the media to say.

That's kind of where I'm at with this. Love the fire, love the drive to succeed. And yes, injuries have plagued him. But, he.... wasn't the starter last year. For all intents and purposes, when he was healthy, he was a backup. I don't know what he wants them to say.

I also personally just found it a bit childish. I'm paraphrasing, but he said he wasn't going to do interviews until the media got it right? There may be some gray area with him but dude... if you're going to get frustrated being referred to as a back-up... you're going to have a rough time in the spotlight.

Maybe Kevin felt empowered because he got a lot of snaps yeaterday since VV was not practicing. We have had a good 3/4 man rotation last year with Collins, VV, Williams, and Maurice, but It was in that order.

Still, I hope this attitude stay during practices. We will get a salty DT game for sure.

• Fire 1

I want to know what pressed Williams to say something. I don't read every Nebraska related article - I'm wondering if it was a recent publication/opinion by a local journalist that ticked him off?

Damon Benning did some reading between the lines Friday and seems to think this could be a power play by Williams - show the media and fans he has confidence and that perhaps everybody's assumption that VV will start is not a fair assumption. The media and fans have created the narrative that VV and Collins will be starters, and though we have our reasons for doing so, perhaps VV won't be next to Collins on Sept. 5.