Kevin Williams - "I'm not a backup!!!!"

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I wish the guys on the d-line would prove they're not a backup instead of making us wonder about it. I blame much of this on Pelini's scheme of holding ground and not rushing. Hopefully the new D will shorten the time the opponent's offense has to think, play canasta, whatever.

I don't blame Williams for getting on the media about calling him the backup. Is fall camp over? Does ESPN run the team? Let's let the coaches decide who is what at gametime.

I want to know what pressed Williams to say something. I don't read every Nebraska related article - I'm wondering if it was a recent publication/opinion by a local journalist that ticked him off?

Damon Benning did some reading between the lines Friday and seems to think this could be a power play by Williams - show the media and fans he has confidence and that perhaps everybody's assumption that VV will start is not a fair assumption. The media and fans have created the narrative that VV and Collins will be starters, and though we have our reasons for doing so, perhaps VV won't be next to Collins on Sept. 5.

It's possible that Williams will start but to say the media and the fans have created a narrative seems odd. What created the narrative is the fact that VV and Collins have been the starters and Williams hasn't.

I want to know what pressed Williams to say something. I don't read every Nebraska related article - I'm wondering if it was a recent publication/opinion by a local journalist that ticked him off?

Damon Benning did some reading between the lines Friday and seems to think this could be a power play by Williams - show the media and fans he has confidence and that perhaps everybody's assumption that VV will start is not a fair assumption. The media and fans have created the narrative that VV and Collins will be starters, and though we have our reasons for doing so, perhaps VV won't be next to Collins on Sept. 5.

It's possible that Williams will start but to say the media and the fans have created a narrative seems odd. What created the narrative is the fact that VV and Collins have been the starters and Williams hasn't.

Ya it's a bit silly. Being injured and not playing means you're not a starter.

Yes, and no. We've no official depth chart to go off of right now, nor did we all of Spring/Summer. Like I said, we've had our reasons for assuming VV and Collins will be starters, but, it's also speculation. So, every time we talk the d-line, we've been talking VV and MC. We've been feeding the narrative that something is going to happen when we don't know for sure it will.

Let me be clear though - I think VV and Collins are going to be starters and, to me, Williams is the back-up, whether he likes it or not.

Reading Banker's post practice interview I wonder how much of Williams' attitude about the press is from the previous staff's opinion and handling of the press?

I was actually wondering this, too. But, after thinking about it, I don't think there's really any correlation. I only really started to follow the team closely in 2008, and I can't think of a single time since then where a player, seemingly unprovoked, approached our media with a bone to pick. At least, not in the way Williams did. Given the 'us-against-the-world' mentality fostered by the previous staff, you would think something like this would've happened sooner. So, why now? His statements come off more like personal reasons.

Furthermore, MR has been nothing but cordial and pleasant with the media since his arrival, and I'm guessing he preaches a similar mentality to the team. I'm also a big believer teams mimick the mentality of their head coach, hence some of the issues we saw under the previous staff. It might take some time for MR's culture to permeate everyone, but, I still don't think it has much to do with the last coaching staff. I think Williams just had a bone to pick and wanted to perhaps even call out VV saying hey bud... I'm coming for ya.

I think that williams will start if he plays like he did against Northwestern and he had like two sacks and I know I saw him in the backfield a bunch for qb hurries. He went off that game and if he brings that mentality every play he might start, but I agree with Mav until Williams proves he can be an O-line nightmare VV is a step above him.

• 2 weeks later...

"From the first guys to the last guys, we all want to go out there and play," McMullen said. "We all want to have a solid rotation to where Greg, Maliek, Vince and Jack may hold it down and be the starters, but we have guys that come in and give a solid 20 to 30 snaps, to where we're all out there having fun, we're all making plays, we're all doing what we love to do."

"From the first guys to the last guys, we all want to go out there and play," McMullen said. "We all want to have a solid rotation to where Greg, Maliek, Vince and Jack may hold it down and be the starters, but we have guys that come in and give a solid 20 to 30 snaps, to where we're all out there having fun, we're all making plays, we're all doing what we love to do."

Uh oh! Kevin not gonna like that.

He said "may"

He said "may"

IMO, the way it's said, "may" does not imply that someone else might be a starter. It's referring to the next sentence. They're the 5 starters BUT "lots of other dudes are playing a lot so it's like we're all starters, dude."

That's how I read it.