Again is Sam being overly negative about this team?

NUinID

Well it was pretty telling when Kenny Bell -- once willing to defend Bo at the gates of hell -- made a very clear point of announcing how much he learned working out with Riley's assistants.

"More in two weeks than I learned in four years"

Or something to that effect.

This is like the study of a story getting passed among people and they compared the story at the end of the line to the original. I think the quote wasn't that telling. It was more along the lines that Williams was able to quickly identify things he struggled with throughout his career. Found it. You would have to infer what you thought the quote was from the last sentence, but it wouldn't be difficult to do so.

“Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career,” Bell said. “Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.”

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75584-kenny-bells-recent-comment-about-coach-williams/

So the difference between the new coach and Pelini's coaching was even more telling.

Well it was pretty telling when Kenny Bell -- once willing to defend Bo at the gates of hell -- made a very clear point of announcing how much he learned working out with Riley's assistants.

This is like the study of a story getting passed among people and they compared the story at the end of the line to the original. I think the quote wasn't that telling. It was more along the lines that Williams was able to quickly identify things he struggled with throughout his career. Found it. You would have to infer what you thought the quote was from the last sentence, but it wouldn't be difficult to do so.

“Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career,” Bell said. “Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.”

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/75584-kenny-bells-recent-comment-about-coach-williams/

So the difference between the new coach and Pelini's coaching was even more telling.

Pelini did not coach WR and Bell is not referring to Riley.

Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career, Bell said. Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.[/size]

Well, you are absolutely correct. Mike Riley only made the decision to have that top notch coaching talent on his staff. While Bo Pelini surrounded himself with yes men and guys with little to no practical experience. Thanks for helping to clarify the difference between the two staffs.
  • Fire 5

“Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career,” Bell said. “Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.”[/size]

I know that, TheSker.

Now tell me how Bell's comment is anything but an indictment of Bo Pelini's coaching staff.

Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career, Bell said. Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.[/size]

Well, you are absolutely correct. Mike Riley only made the decision to have that top notch coaching talent on his staff. While Bo Pelini surrounded himself with yes men and guys with little to no practical experience. Thanks for helping to clarify the difference between the two staffs.
Except for the one he wanted to retain and couldn't.

“Within the first 30 minutes of working with him, he identified every single thing I struggled with throughout my entire career,” Bell said. “Thirty minutes after that, we were fixing them.”[/size]

I know that, TheSker.

Now tell me how Bell's comment is anything but an indictment of Bo Pelini's coaching staff.

So we care what Kenny Bell has to say, or we don't care what Kenny Bell has to say? I guess since in some roundabout way if it jabs at Pelini and the former staff, you're all over it, right?

Time to be concerned if Riley can be anything other than a .500 coach.

I'm guessing you can follow K Bell on twitter or somewhere if you like, but I don't know.

• Fire 1

I guess because our previous receivers coach didn't make Kenny Bell a perfect wide receiver and a new coach was able to see the things he is good and not as good at, with no mention of whether or not the previous coach was also aware of those things and coaching him on them, then yeah, that's a jab.

Football players don't get a lot of individual work during the season, not that that matters towards an agenda.

I guess because our previous receivers coach didn't make Kenny Bell a perfect wide receiver and a new coach was able to see the things he is good and not as good at, with no mention of whether or not the previous coach was also aware of those things and coaching him on them, then yeah, that's a jab.

Football players don't get a lot of individual work during the season, not that that matters towards an agenda.

Almost every practice video I've seen shows Williams running some kind of drills. If he can diagnose Kenny's problems that quickly I would be surprised if he isn't fixing things in these drills. If this is the case then why weren't Kenny's problems fixed by previous staff? Not enough time to fix? I'm not buying. It's too early to make conclusions about how the two staffs compare until seeing the current staff's product on the field but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect improvement after reading Kenny's comments.

Kenny Bell was Bo Pelini's most passionate and vocal supporter.

When he says that Mike Riley's new receivers coach identified and began fixing problems in minutes that had gone unnoticed for years.....that Bell was impressed and grateful....yeah, that kinda gets your attention.

That Kenny Bell made this statement for public consumption isn't really surprising, given his history, but if you're looking for evidence that Bo Pelini wasn't a great head coach (and I am) then it's pretty telling.

There is no possible way to interpret it as less than a slam against his prior coaches.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I'm rooting for Mike Riley and Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Almost every practice video I've seen shows Williams running some kind of drills. If he can diagnose Kenny's problems that quickly I would be surprised if he isn't fixing things in these drills. If this is the case then why weren't Kenny's problems fixed by previous staff? Not enough time to fix? I'm not buying. It's too early to make conclusions about how the two staffs compare until seeing the current staff's product on the field but it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect improvement after reading Kenny's comments.

I'm up in the air with this a bit, too. There are many fundamental principles that any coach must follow, but, they also have their own experiences and knowledge to fall back on. But, even the 'fundamentals' can sometimes get skewed. My memory of this next example his hazy, but, didn't defensive line players say that under Callahan they were coached to NOT get their hands up to try and block throwing lanes if they can't get to the QB? Whereas if you watch a lot of football, just about every defender tries to block a pass if they can't get to the QB in time.

So, I don't know. The only explanations are 1) Williams really is a better and more knowledgable coach or 2) he has a different set of techniques he values over what the previous coach valued. We'll have to see how the WR develop and perform over the course of the season.

That Kenny Bell made this statement for public consumption isn't really surprising, given his history, but if you're looking for evidence that Bo Pelini wasn't a great head coach (and I am) then it's pretty telling.

There is no possible way to interpret it as less than a slam against his prior coaches.

Eichorst fired Pelini.....like almost 9 months ago. As you might figure, I'm not convinced Riley was the best choice to replace him with......perhaps that's why you're still looking for evidence? Maybe you're not convinced either?

• Fire 1

Eichorst fired Pelini.....like almost 9 months ago. As you might figure, I'm not convinced Riley was the best choice to replace him with......perhaps that's why you're still looking for evidence? Maybe you're not convinced either?

He's not convinced because we haven't played a game yet. You, on the other hand, have been convinced that Mike Riley sucks from the day he was hired.

Yes. Any evidence that Bo Pelini and Co. were lacking in their coaching skills supports my fervent hope that Nebraska could still recruit good talent and that a better coach can get better results.

I dislike much of what I've heard about Bo. I've liked almost everything I've heard about Riley.

I would not bet my own money that Riley wins 9 or more games this season because I know the difference between hope and reality.

There's too much we don't know.

That's why they play the games.

Join me in rooting for Mike Riley to be something special.

• Fire 1

Nothing wrong with having reservations about Riley. There may have been better coaches for the job, really do not know, but getting a better person to be our head coach would have been hard.

I just want him to get a fair chance, be supported by the fans. If he comes up short, we will find someone else I am sure. We as a group need to come together and support Nebraska, not this or that coach.

• 2 weeks later...