Adrian Talan no longer on the team

knapplc

If he's not on the team, I don't see how his scholarship would count against the limit -- whether or not he still has it. How odd, though.

Is he going to transfer because he doesn't want to redshirt? Is he giving up football?

Once they're on scholarship after a certain date, they count against the limit. Happened a couple years ago where Suttles and Brown didn't even start classes in the fall semester but they still counted against the limit.

I would speculate that he'll look at his options and transfer, probably at semester.

Oh well. I thought of all the linebackers, he was the biggest reach just to fill out our class. Reed would be 2nd, but he is a Safety for now. I guess in time we will find out. Talan was committed to Pitt previously correct? I'm sure in the back of his mind, he believe he can just head there next semester and play right away.

I think it's funny that there were a lot of people who were critical of Riley a few weeks ago, for allowing the "we have a high-maintenance freshman LB" talk in the coach's room and in front of a reporter.

Now that this "high-maintenance" player is no longer on the team, there is only the "we don't need him" or "he was a reach as a LB" type talk, no criticism of the way Riley/Bray handled the player and the situation.

• Fire 1

I think it's funny that there were a lot of people who were critical of Riley a few weeks ago, for allowing the "we have a high-maintenance freshman LB" talk in the coach's room and in front of a reporter.

Now that this "high-maintenance" player is no longer on the team, there is only the "we don't need him" or "he was a reach as a LB" type talk, no criticism of the way Riley/Bray handled the player and the situation.

I didn't have a problem with what Riley said then, and I still don't. I'd imagine if he was high-maintenance enough for Riley to bring it up in an interview, Riley was at a "shape up or ship out" point with him anyway.

• Fire 1

I think they handled it perfectly. I'm not saying they calculated it this way, but that article coming out was a perfect moment for him to get with the program (or not). He chose the latter and the staff showed what they won't put up with.

I don't think it's fair to say we don't need him. They recruited him here for a reason. However, a player is only good to a team if he's a team player. A freshman LB who isn't ready to play but can't handle redshirting? Sorry. Best fit elsewhere for all parties. He was clearly given plenty of opportunity to show otherwise.

Ideally, you avoid recruiting such a player in the first place and it'll now count as a miss in the inaugural class. But every recruiting class has misses, and this kind of thing is hard to anticipate.

Have we heard any indication about what the supposed issues were with Talan? If I remember correctly, vague references to a "high-maintenance" player. Now, a few tweets confirming he is gone. I find it difficult to judge this kid's character and/or the staff's handling of the matter without more facts. It seems premature and unfair to both parties.