"Woman sues OSU, ex-head football coach Mike Riley, says her 1999 rape occurred in 'sexually violent culture'"

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2015/09/woman_sues_osu_football_coach.html

A former student at Oregon State University has filed a federal Title IX lawsuit that accuses the school's former head football coach Mike Riley of failing to correct a hostile and sexually violent culture among football players that contributed to her being raped.

The woman alleges that she was raped on Oct. 9, 1999, while a freshman at OSU. The Oregonian/OregonLive is not naming her because she claims to be the victim of sexual assault.

Unfortunate circumstances for all involved.

I read the article but there's something fishy about this and makes me think this is a money grab. First she reports it to a counselor supposedly and that is about it. No cops, no friends nothing but a counselor at student health services. The alleged rapist is a cousin of one of the players and apparently did not attend OSU. She waits nearly 17 years and because she read an article about another alleged rape, she brings this to court(due to someone settling for 850k) in the previous case).

Whats the statute of limitations on a rape case in Oregon? How can Riley be involved if she never reported the rape? How could he apparently stop this "violent rape culture" if he's not made aware?

Just the thoughts I had about this case. It will either be dropped due to lack of evidence and the faminazis will piss and moan, or OSU will simply settle the case so they don't receive bad press from people in the media who will throw crap at the wall without any actual evidence.

Apparently the same thing happened in 1998, while he was the coach, and she is accusing him of not correcting the environment which led to the second assault.

Legally, I don't think anything will happen to MR. Seems like kind of a frivolous choice to go after him to me. Obviously, I feel horrible for woman. I just don't know that MR should be held responsible. He has no control over his players, unless it was the same exact ones.

Just read about this.

What's odd is he wasn't even the coach at the time - he was coaching the Chargers, but she claims that he had responsibility in bringing him/creating a culture. I'm confused about this legally too - isn't there a statute of limitations?

I think there was another rape that was reported in 1998 when Riley was coach of Oregon State that they failed to follow up on, that then led to the rape in 1999.

I read the article but there's something fishy about this and makes me think this is a money grab. First she reports it to a counselor supposedly and that is about it. No cops, no friends nothing but a counselor at student health services. The alleged rapist is a cousin of one of the players and apparently did not attend OSU. She waits nearly 17 years and because she read an article about another alleged rape, she brings this to court(due to someone settling for 850k) in the previous case).

Whats the statute of limitations on a rape case in Oregon? How can Riley be involved if she never reported the rape? How could he apparently stop this "violent rape culture" if he's not made aware?

Just the thoughts I had about this case. It will either be dropped due to lack of evidence and the faminazis will piss and moan, or OSU will simply settle the case so they don't receive bad press from people in the media who will throw crap at the wall without any actual evidence.

I'm pretty sure that statute of limitations laws don't govern civil suits (just as double jeopardy laws don't apply to wrongful death suits).

I'm pretty sure that statute of limitations laws don't govern civil suits (just as double jeopardy laws don't apply to wrongful death suits).

You are correct, for some reason I didn't pay attention to the civil suit part...duh. Wondering how this civil suit will go as there is absolutely zero evidence to other than her claims, then again, when it comes to rape all you really need to do is get the media involved and then it becomes a witchhunt. If she was raped, i'm sorry, it shouldn't happen. If she is going for a quick pay day, hope she burns in hell.

Uh, yeah, I think this happened to me back in 1999... Let me go call my lawyer quickly.

Just read about this.

What's odd is he wasn't even the coach at the time - he was coaching the Chargers, but she claims that he had responsibility in bringing him/creating a culture. I'm confused about this legally too - isn't there a statute of limitations?

Riley became the Charger's head coach in Jan. of 1999, and if this rape happened in Oct. of that year, he would've been gone. But, it looks like the lawsuit is targeting him for not changing the culture that led to her rape.

I don't know about statute of limitations, but, my very un-expert opinion thinks this is going to be quite difficult to prove any wrongdoing in court on behalf of Riley. This stuff happened 16 years ago. What's the proof? How would you prove Riley is to blame for the acts of player's at that time, especially when he hadn't even been there for 9 months?

Just a difficult situation all around, especially for the victim.

Any occurrence of sexual assault is incredibly unfortunate and should never occur.

That being said, there is absolutely no correlation between the sexual assault that happened in 1998 and the sexual assault that happened in 1999, and her claim is essentially stating that the former caused the latter.

Mike Riley, upon hearing of the sexual assault in 1998, immediately suspended the alleged players from all team activities--that is about all that he could have done. When the charges were dropped, Riley reinstated the players, who still served a one-game suspension. Given the information that was available to him, Riley did all that he could to ensure the right thing was done, for both parties involved. I don't know how he falls under the claim of failing to correct a hostile and sexually violent culture among football players.

If the investigation into the first incident wasn't thorough enough, then that's negligence on the part of the university and not Mike Riley.

1) Yes they do - that's their purpose

2) Double Jeopardy applies to criminal cases

3) Wrongful death suits are civil suits

4) The SOL in this case depends on state law.

"Title IX, like many federal statutes, does not have its own statute of limitations. Title IX claims are thus governed by the most analogous state-law statute of limitations, typically the one for personal injury claims."

https://verdict.justia.com/2011/11/15/the-penn-state-scandal-why-is-no-one-talking-about-title-ix-2

• Fire 1