Screw you complainers

knapplc

No. The very specific narrative he's on about is a straw man, a conflation of several different ideas into a "narrative" that has never existed. That straw man is now being used as a benchmark for Riley, errantly, because someone has an axe to grind.

How do we know this? Because that false narrative has been thrown into every thread, every conversation, regardless of context, since December 4th, 2014. It's not a reply to any specific post, person, game or situation, it's a gripe stated more often in spite of the evidence we've seen.

You should start living in reality sooner rather than later.

You're well aware about the national attention Nebraska has received for being 1 of 3 teams to win 9 games each of the last several seasons. We also get laughed at because the other two teams, Oregon and Alabama, have actually won games that mattered. Nine wins have been built into our schedule because of our very weak division, and was referenced by our AD, who was not impressed with our comeback victory over a bad Iowa team, during his press conference after firing Bo.

• Fire 1

And if you think that I've got a personal axe to grind with nice Mike, you're wrong. The program is bigger than any coach. I want this program to succeed, but his track record suggests that he is not as good of coach as our previous coach was.

And yes, I'm on the record as saying that he is way more Billy C.V2 than he is BD, TO, FS, or BP. What I saw last week was better than what I saw this week. This offense looks way too Billy C. for me.

This post is the very definition of "an axe to grind."

Just like your previous posts.

No. The very specific narrative he's on about is a straw man, a conflation of several different ideas into a "narrative" that has never existed. That straw man is now being used as a benchmark for Riley, errantly, because someone has an axe to grind.

How do we know this? Because that false narrative has been thrown into every thread, every conversation, regardless of context, since December 4th, 2014. It's not a reply to any specific post, person, game or situation, it's a gripe stated more often in spite of the evidence we've seen.

You should start living in reality sooner rather than later.

You're well aware about the national attention Nebraska has received for being 1 of 3 teams to win 9 games each of the last several seasons. We also get laughed at because the other two teams, Oregon and Alabama, have actually won games that mattered. Nine wins have been built into our schedule because of our very weak division, and was referenced by our AD, who was not impressed with our comeback victory over a bad Iowa team, during his press conference after firing Bo.

You should start actually reading this thread. What you're responding to isn't what's being discussed.

Why....oh .....why do we constantly have to have this conversation?

9 wins gets stuck in this conversation because it is both impressive and not enough to keep your job at Nebraska especially when there are other issues in the coaching staff.

Can we please drop this and move forward being excited about the season instead of sitting here and constantly telling everyone what a huge mistake Riley is?

We have on record your dislike of this coaching hire. If he fails, you can come back and remind us again. Until then, can we please at least try to enjoy the season?

• Fire 1

While satisfied with last night's win, I want to see us beat a team with a pulse before I get too excited. Although I'm far from convinced that he was the right hire, Riley has my support until he gives me a reason not to support him. Simple as that. In the meantime... GBR

• Fire 2

While satisfied with last night's win, I want to see us beat a team with a pulse before I get too excited. Although I'm far from convinced that he was the right hire, Riley has my support until he gives me a reason not to support him. Simple as that. In the meantime... GBR

That's where I'm at. Until he proves my faith unjustified, I'm behind the guy. Same as with Osborne, Solich, Callahan & Pelini.

Mods, is there any way I can transfer all the rep points I've accumulated over the years to knapplc's post up there?

Hey the other day when you were hounding me for someone who said any idiot could win 9 games here, see above.

Context. He's not saying he thinks any idiot can win 9 games, he's saying "that was the narrative". Which is still largely bullsh#t. knapplc couldn't have explained it any more clearly.

Right, but I'm not alone on remembering all the talk about it. Sadly the guy that remembers that discussion is 74Hunter.

knapps post is gold.

That's the thing with eyewitness testimony, it's notoriously unreliable. Especially from people who are obviously biased and have an axe to grind.

Luckily we live in the internet age where almost everything is documented. We don't have to rely on eyewitness testimony. My request & knapp's request for documentation were not unreasonable. Especially given the supposed pervasive nature of this "narrative". It shouldn't be difficult to dig up countless examples. Yet here we are.

• Fire 1

So, no coach with any head coaching experience should ever come to Nebraska and not immediately win nine games, every year? There are zero extenuating circumstances, ever?

I don't know about "ever", but review the last 5 head coaching changes at Nebraska and I'd say Riley needs to get it done and get it done immediately. Pelini did it with no head coaching experience.......so I guess that might answer the question since he's the worst coach to ever take a breath of air.

the Bolievers are going to chirp about any percieved mistep by the Huskers for the next 7 years. we have to live with that now. right Sker?

I'm not concerned with references to "Bolievers" or "7 years". You might notice I referenced the past 5 coaching changes.....and I'm not really interested in debating Pelini. We did what we should have done yesterday against a far inferior opponent......it told us nothing. I don't think Riley's offensive philosophy is the best fit for where we need to get to.

What offensive puilosophy is that? A balanced offense with mostly very easy throws for the QB to make?

Mods, is there any way I can transfer all the rep points I've accumulated over the years to knapplc's post up there?

Hey the other day when you were hounding me for someone who said any idiot could win 9 games here, see above.

Context. He's not saying he thinks any idiot can win 9 games, he's saying "that was the narrative". Which is still largely bullsh#t. knapplc couldn't have explained it any more clearly.

Right, but I'm not alone on remembering all the talk about it. Sadly the guy that remembers that discussion is 74Hunter.

knapps post is gold.

That's the thing with eyewitness testimony, it's notoriously unreliable. Especially from people who are obviously biased and have an axe to grind.

Luckily we live in the internet age where almost everything is documented. We don't have to rely on eyewitness testimony. My request & knapp's request for documentation were not unreasonable. Especially given the supposed pervasive nature of this "narrative". It shouldn't be difficult to dig up countless examples. Yet here we are.

Save for the fact I work for a living and post from my mobile phone, so searching back to Jauary uses up a ton of my data. Sorry, proving something to you isn't worth my measely 6GB. If I'm at my computer later, sure. But really, I mean REALLY, you don't remember multiple people boasting how easily we could get anyone in here to win 9 games with our sechedules?

Hey Redux, not to bum you out but I did a little bit of looking (not reading every post but just a keyword search of the history) and I can't find much of that narrative being discussed at all. I mean, not only am I having a hard time finding where someone says "any jackass" could come in and win nine games, but I'm actually finding quite a bit more of people talking about how difficult it is.

IMO, this staff is worth at lest 1-2 more wins.....

People keep saying this, but few are willing to predict 11 wins this year.

Yep. Everything is dramatically better. But we're probably a 7-5 team. :dunno

7-5? Hmmm, I don't know about that. I think we can do a little bit better. Heck, we might even reach that 11 win mark. I don't know at this point. I'd really like to see a little bit of football before I too far into trying to guess the win/loss record of a first year HC and entirely new staff.

My issue with your comments Saunders and Mavric is this:

If we would win 11, I hope you would understand that really is a huge credit to the staff and this team for pulling it all together so quickly. There's a lot more to it than just simply saying better coach = more wins. Now maybe given a couple years, systems implemented, some players recruited, and familiarity is developed, then you get a real sample of what you should expect.

Same for is they go 7-5. In no way would I view a 7-5 season in Riley's first year as an indication of how the next four or five years (whatever they get) would go. I think a new coach and a new staff deserve a little bit more than 1 season to set their standard and make it clear as to what their capabilities are.

So yea, I do expect improvement. I do think these coaches are better than the previous staff. I don't necessarily expect it all to come together in the first season. Sorry, I don't. I don't truly understand the mindset of somebody that does. Bo Pelini alway used the word "process" and he was right. It is a process. Bo had seven years for us to see how his process worked and what the results would be. Mike Riley and his guys sure as hell get more than one year for us to learn what his cieling is.

I agree. I don't think one year proves anything one way or the other. Though I doubt the tune will be the same if we win 11. It'll be "see how much better this team is now that we have real coaches". But if we only win 7 it won't be because the new coaches failed to deliver, just that they need more time. Interesting how things like that work.

But I don't get why so many won't even say we should be expected to win at least 9. For all the complaining about how easy it is that it's even mocked to bring up winning 9 games because basically a drunk monkey could coach the Huskers to 9 wins and now we have better coaches at every single position and they will actually develop the players and put them in much better positions to do well along with play the players that deserve to play .......... but we might only win 7. Doesn't add up.

In this post, Mavric brings up the topic, but he's describing it as more of a common narrative like you are saying. But in the conversation leading up to that post by Mavric, literally nobody says anything close to resembling that a drunken monkey could coach the team to nine wins.

Either I can't find it, or this is one of those arguments that a few people kind of "pulled out of thin air" to bring a little drama and extremism to their side of the argument.

Nebraska won in spite of 408 showing up every week to coach the team, That tells me that even a blind monkey can coach NU to 9 wins. It is the last 3-4 wins that are the hardest to get. With better coaching and better S&C, I think we get to 10 or 11 this year, with that being the norm from here on out.

I have thought and still think the exact same things. Nine wins at NU is what an average coach can attain. MR and company should be an upgrade over the old staff.

Honestly...I think all of us think this. I just have a feeling some fans are worried about admitting it because in reality it sets a very clear bar.

Well in this comment, it's a blind monkey. So we've got drunk monkeys and blind monkeys.

I don't know if these couple posts really support that argument as being much of a real overwhelming narrative, but it definitely means that we all can say some funny stuff sometimes, myself included, depending on our blood alcohol levels and the proximity of a keyboard.

I don't want to participate in pulling this thing off track anymore. In all reality, the thread should've been locked because nothing more needed to be said after this:

I'm gonna vent. We 'let them vent' around here after losses.

To you complainers wasting bandwidth on this and other sites, and twitter, and Facebook, and calling in to radio shows to vent your spleen,

Cripes. You're quitting on the team? You want Pelini back? You're blowing a gasket because we lost on a hail mary pass in the last seconds?

Get over yourself. Sheesh.

Nebraska was never going to win all their games this year. This avalanche of tears was going to happen, either today or next week or three weeks. Same whining, same people, whenever the first loss happened. That's why it's so unimpressive that you flood the interwebz with this nonsense. It's predictable and stupid.

If you thought Nebraska should have won this game before the 4th quarter, that's on you. We shouldn't have. We had no business winning this game, as stacked against us as the deck was. Especially after the 2nd quarter, which in the last couple of years would have been the beginning of the spiral. They fought through it. They took the lead, were one fluke play from winning.

And now that the game's over, and we lost, the crying begins.

"I'm leaving. See you in five years."

"We never should have fired Bo."

"Riley sucks."

Stick it. Go root for Ohio State or Florida State or whomever is winning at the moment. Switch teams weekly; always cheer for the winners. Clearly your fragile ego cant handle the ups & downs of normal college football fandom.

I've been trying to tell people for weeks. This game was BYU's to lose. They had everything going for them. Consistency in coaching staff. Same schemes as last year. They're far older and more developed. They've played in this kind of environment over and over.

And for Nebraska? The opposite.

We excised a cyst of a former coach, a national punch line who embarrassed the team over and over and over.

Half our new staff had never worked together before. They still haven't unpacked all the boxes in their houses. They're still figuring out how to drive their kids to school. The environment is totally new to them.

Our players are learning all new schemes. Learning how to relate to these coaches. Learning new cadences, new packages, new everything. New game day procedures, new expectations. New levels of accountability.

BYU didn't start a single Freshman, and only had four on hand.

Nebraska started three Freshman, and played seven total.

BYU dismantled Texas in Austin last year. Embarrassed them, 41-7. They should have beaten Nebraska by a similar score. The odds were in their favor to do so, far moreso than for a Nebraska victory.

And let's not forget that this team, largely these defensive players, are responsible for spiraling-out-of-control losses in the past couple of years, where, once momentum turns away from the Huskers, they have shut down.

That's a hallmark of the Bo Pelini Defensive Scheme, which makes me question the sanity of anyone still shedding bitter tears for Bo's ouster.

The Big Ten Championship Game. 2014 Wisconsin. 2013 UCLA. 2011 Michigan & Wisconsin. If that's the guy you're pining after, CLICK ME.

But that didn't happen today. Despite all the newness, all the strangeness, the learning curve and the mistakes and the busts, the guys came back. They took the lead, and damned near won. A fluke play, an oddity, and they lost.

And you want to jump ship?

Then get out. Good riddance.

But the funny thing is, you don't. You want to whine and cry and have some pissing contest with the other whiners, posting your whining on message boards and Facebook and Twitter, trying to see whose hyperbole can generate the most views. Your takes are not hot. Your crying is unimpressive.

And you'll be back. Next week, next month, whenever something good happens you'll be cruising the board, posting once or twice, sharing the good feelings. When we lose again, you'll come back with another whinefest, bitching about everything and your kid brother.

End of discussion.

Why would it bum me out. A small search drummed up a perfect example. A blind and or drunk monkey could coach us to 9 wins. You can't make this stuff up.

Heres the thing. I don't agree with that statement at all and feel it was a common excuse used by those wanting to oust Bo and will again be used this season if we win less than 9. It's a total cop out.

Some want to pretend that games against the likes of Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue, NW, or Indiana should be gimmes no matter what because "We are Nebraska". (How have we still not played Indiana?) But the truth of the matter is this:

So what if Bo won the games he was supposed to win? I mean I could understand the gripe if he lost to teams he was supposed to easily beat, couple of times he almost did and a couple of times he did. But regularly he beat enough of them to win 9.

Now, some are using that same argument against Riley. We beat USA handily but it doesn't really count because it was USA. Gimme a break. A win is a win is a win.

I'm still pissed about the hail mary and think we could have taken several steps to avoid that scenario but I won't get into it. Fact is we faced a quality opponent in our opener and lost on an allegedly fluke play. The growing pains were there, we try to get better. Thats all we can ask. The season isn't over. I dont know if we win 9 or 10 games this year, I hope we do.

In closing, the any idiot could win 9 games is BS. We had a guy who couldn't win 6 and he was definitely an idiot. Riley is not that.

• Fire 1

scarecrow-nodding.gif

If only I had a brain.................LOL..........................I would be wiser.....................I would be kinder.......................If only I had a brain...................LOL.........................

Well, complain all you want, whine all you want but we have a season full of surprises coming our way ladies and gents. I have been content of watching or listening to the games and it feels different of how the team plays starting the season. You know I was not in the Riley camp and at present observing how it will shake out for this team. The season will go fast and keep up people and not get in the sink holes of the last game of everything that seems to go wrong. Next MIAMI! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!