What made BYU the better team on Saturday?

RedSavage

We didn't have an answer to their tall WRs. Especially on the last play.

Maybe put pressure on there true freshman QB so he does not have all day to pass the ball?

Maybe make it a track meet with the pressure have faith in our D not leave the last play of the game to a glorified game of 500? (or what ever that game is where you have a group of guys and just throw ball into the crowd)

Yeah, I guess it's easy to be a Monday morning coach (or in this case, Tuesday). But I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't have a LB spy on the QB that last play, and then rush when he rolled to the left. It would have made that pass much more difficult if Young or Bando was bearing down on him.

If I had to pick the main things that caught my eye:

Taller receivers

More experience

NU kicking game was less that great (loss of, what, 6 points right there?)

A little better training or luck on the final play.

I don't see any of these as lethal to our team. And with a first year coach, we'll improve. On a slightly larger front, we have GOT to have a running game that is at least capable. Doesn't have to be all-world, but gosh, we gotta be able to run at least occasionally to inspire some fear of the run.

We didn't have an answer to their tall WRs. Especially on the last play.

Maybe put pressure on there true freshman QB so he does not have all day to pass the ball?

Maybe make it a track meet with the pressure have faith in our D not leave the last play of the game to a glorified game of 500? (or what ever that game is where you have a group of guys and just throw ball into the crowd)

Exactly. NU didn't have a killer instinct. On the last drive, if we decide we are going to run out the clock, and use two plays to get 3 yards, get the first down, and eventually score a TD, we win by 8, and everyone is discussing how we overcome some growing pains in the 2nd quarter, but regrouped and easily beat BYU. Instead we pissed away the game.

As Knapp said in the other thread - they, BYU, had all of the advantages - experience, tall receivers, stable transition from last year, the same system, and again - experience (few freshmen) We had lost our # 1 all time receiver, our # 2 all time RB from last year, our leading special teams guy out wt injury, coach transition, a new system and - lack of experience - starting 4 true freshmen and playing 7. I do think the lack of starting game experience really hurt us when you start that many OL wtout game starting experience and we had RBs which had not started a game.

Not only few freshmen, but their freshmen were the age of our juniors.

so true - and that does make a difference in poise.

Since the game I've had this conversation with a couple people and am curious what others think. Did BYU out athlete NU on Saturday? There were certainly times it looked that way. If so, was the recruiting really that bad under Bo? I'm of the opinion that we should EASILY be able to out recruit the likes of the BYU's of the world. If that's the case, its once again, another glaring example of how we should have gotten rid of BP long before we did.

Or

Are we the better team and it was more the coaching transition, adjusting to the new scheme, young and inexperienced players at a lot of positions, lack of depth, etc.?

I would say it was 90% the bolded, however the lack of depth and the amount of young inexperienced players we had to go with sure would indicate some prior recruiting problems. Also, it would've been extremely helpful if the prior staff had left us a place kicker.... In Bo's defense (which I usually don't do...) his recruits were intended for different systems so it's not a clear cut case of definite poor recruiting. The most obvious place we were not ahead of BYU talent was on the lines. I think you can blame prior recruiting for the O line situation (slightly undersized, young, & inexperienced) but I also think our D line guys would've performed slightly better in Bo's pattycake type of defense.

I think Riley & Co. will be able to work with the guys we have and I do believe they will improve relatively quickly but it may take a bit more effort and time than if they had been left with something "good to go" and more in their wheelhouse.

The real benefits to the change will be 1-2-3 years down the road. We are having to play them pretty young right now and that should pay off huge in the years ahead when they will be that much more experienced.

I swear I was so upset at the end last 7 mins people in stands around me where like just run out the time!

Its like are we that scared of BYU - would TO have done that or would he have kept taking shots at the end zone and keep running the offense and have faith in our defense?

Some of the calls Saturday literally hurt my head to even think about.

Yeah! Why didn't we just run it out? I mean, we were running all over them! We were lining up and having our way with them!

Look at all the shots to the end zone we took at the end! Like a quadrillion trillion of them.

You must've had walksalone sitting around you somewhere. He said the same nonsense.

I posted all the plays. We tried to run the ball plenty. You don't just run the ball and punt. You have to convert first downs. We were converting through the air, not on the ground.

I finally figured it out. I finally figured out why BYU was able to beat Nebraska. It's so simple that I missed it.

BYU is a Nike school. Yep...it's all Adida's fault. How in the world can we even imagine to think our guys are going to win a game wearing these horrible uniforms. BYU looked so much better and that made them play so much better.

I finally just got back from Nebraska to Idaho today, don't ask. Lots of good things and not so good in the game. Lots of things I liked. I really thought they were going to put the game away when they got up 28-24 and it just didn't happen.

The way he used his TO at the end of the game were very perplexing to me. I thought that they would run the play clock all the way down to 1 and call a time out on the FG try. Then try the FG it would have ran the clock down about another 10 seconds. They kicked with about 8 seconds left on the clock. Even if they miss it still leaves less time. If he makes it they squib kick off and knock another 7-8 seconds off the clock.

The second one is calling TO with 1 second left. IMO that just gave them a chance to catch their breath and get straight what they wanted to do.

We will see how good BYU is this week. They get BSU at home this Saturday. BSU is good, if they hang with them than we know they are better than I thought they would be.

BYU had a lot go well for them in that game. They won the turnover battle and the penalty battle and caught some real breaks a couple of things.