Backup QB

Don't expect much out of Tommy in the run game this season. Not because Langsdorf doesn't want Tommy running, but simply because the coaches are not gonna put Tommy in harms way. Tommy gets injured, and the season will get incredibly ugly. The drop off in talent from Tommy to Ryker is pretty large.

It's just another position where our depth is just horrid.

I would love for us to run the ball more.

Oregon ran it 70% week one.

Georgia Tech ran it 92%

(Vs pud teams)

Wisconsin ran it 35%

My point is. Run game percentages always drop when early efficiency in the game is down. I really understand the sentiment of wanting to run the ball more. I do.

I don't know if when Mike Riley was hired, and I've said this before, people seriously thought he was going to run something completely different than what he has. Phrases like "he adapts his scheme to his talent" does not mean if we had flexbone players that he's gunna run the flexbone. It means he's going to install the portions of his West Coast style that best fit his players.

I hate that offense more than anything in football. But I like Riley too much to not be supportive.

I think there's a few things skewing the run/pass ratio. One is the 7 straight passes to try to put points on the board before halftime. Another is much of the screen game is really considered a part of our running game. It just shows up as pass plays on the stat sheet.

I like the scheme. Reminds me of the Wisconsin offense w/ Russell Wilson. We just don't have the offensive line, running backs, and quarterback that team had.

Really our strength right now seems to be the passing game.

• Fire 1

I think there's a few things skewing the run/pass ratio. One is the 7 straight passes to try to put points on the board before halftime. Another is much of the screen game is really considered a part of our running game. It just shows up as pass plays on the stat sheet.

I like the scheme. Reminds me of the Wisconsin offense w/ Russell Wilson. We just don't have the offensive line, running backs, and quarterback that team had.

Aside from that, we're in great shape!

:D

I think we'll do fine with a mix of running and passing. I was quite impressed with Wilbon on Saturday. He's got some of the same shiftiness that Abdullah had. And that's the kind of back we need with spotty O-line play. And right now, that looks like what we're gonna see from the O-line.

But TA is injured, and his strength is the ability to run. I do not want to see TA playing QB this tear without the ability to run, or even hesitant to take off because he is nursing a sore foot.

Did you even watch the BYU game? He had one of his better passing days, ever. Threw for the second-most yards amongst Big Ten quarterbacks this week.

Tommy may not be a prototypical passer, but he's improved by leaps & bounds over last year.

He has definitely improved, and I thought he looked good passing the ball, ESPECIALLY that first drive (why couldn't the offense look like that every drive?). However, I would still argue that his strength is still the ability to run the ball. I don't think the read would have worked well against BYU, but I'm hoping to see that as more of a main component of the offense going forward.

He was in a boot, but he stated he would be fine. He didn't look hobbled at all, so I would assume they were just being extremely cautious. As you previously stated, a QB that is not yet on campus is the future and the type of QB Riley usually goes after. I also really like Darlington's potential, but not sure if he should be playing football at this point.

Back on topic, I get the impression that Riley is pretty good at getting the #2 guy in for reps. On Saturday though, I suspect they were more concerned with getting Tommy up to speed on some of the things they're doing--like looking down the receiver progression, timing and placement of passes, getting out of the huddle quickly, etc.

I'd be surprised if Fyfe, and maybe even Bush or Darlington, didn't get reps this week.

Don't expect much out of Tommy in the run game this season. Not because Langsdorf doesn't want Tommy running, but simply because the coaches are not gonna put Tommy in harms way. Tommy gets injured, and the season will get incredibly ugly. The drop off in talent from Tommy to Ryker is pretty large.

It's just another position where our depth is just horrid.

This can not be stated enough. I read what was about a five page write-up (that probably wasn't supposed to get to the public) from someone who is very close to the program on Saturday. It had everything from the X's and O's of what we were going to do on offense and defense in the BYU game, to what's really going on with the team. It was pretty much spot on. According to what I read, we are one injury away from a VERY long season. Bush had a terrible fall camp and the coaches have very little confidence in any of our other qbs.

Without a doubt, we need to be more productive offensively. We need to average 38 tp 42 points per game scoring and hold our opponents to under 20. Rushing yards gain are worth about twice as much in productive value as passing yards so if we are to gain 300 yards rushing and 150 passing, we would be much more likely to win the game than if we had 300 yards passing and 150 yards rushing. I always felt a good rule of thumb was to say that the first 150 yards of each didn't count for much as a team with under 300 yards of total offense loses about 90% of the time. Teams that pass for 400 yards win a majority of the time no doubt but teams that rush 400 yards win almost always! These basics seem to me to be true in all parts of the country, although I would venture a guess that rushing yards are more valuable than passing yards in outdoor stadiums where weather (wind, rain, snow, cold, wet, etc) factors in to a greater degree. But the team that runs the ball the best wins most of the games, no matter what the offensive scheme or style. In my opinion and I believe the statistics would give strong evidence of this. I don't Riley dislikes running the ball per se but has found over the years that it is easier to assemble a team with some offensive capability with less talent in the passing game. Strong running takes strong, dominant line play whereas short quick passes can be thrown around with minimal offensive line play. One might not win but at least one can gain some first downs and score a two or three TDs a game. also, a good thrower and couple quick and shifty receivers can provide some entertaining football plays for the crowd.

• Fire 1

Tremendous improvement from TA. I can seriously go into specifics, but for some of you guys. You will never be happy with TA.

After watching our competition in the Big Ten West, we should be glad we have a guy with TA's skillset. He's not going to win awards, but he's a gamer. If you can't see that, than watch guys like Leidner and Stave, and tell me you'd rather have them at QB for us.

• Fire 1

I guess one silver lining is Wisconsin doesn't have the offensive line, running backs, and quarterback that team had. Heh.

He had 10 consecutive incompletons, completed less than 20% of his passes in the 2nd quarter, and had two of the most ridiculous intentional grounding penalties I have ever seen. In addition, if he doesn't grossly under throw the pump fake pass on the last drive, it goes for a TD, and we win. He also continued his problem with locking onto the primary receiver. TA is a marginal BCS passing QB. BYU is a bad pass defense team. They gave up on average 270 yards/game in 2014.

Actually, this was one of his better throws of the day. First rule of throwing the bomb to a wide open receiver is COMPLETE THE PASS! Make sure you at least get the yards you can - don't try to get cute and overthrow him. It would have been nice to get a TD out of it but it really would have sucked to not get anything out of that play. He threw that ball exactly like he should have. It should have won us the game.

• Fire 1

He had 10 consecutive incompletons, completed less than 20% of his passes in the 2nd quarter, and had two of the most ridiculous intentional grounding penalties I have ever seen. In addition, if he doesn't grossly under throw the pump fake pass on the last drive, it goes for a TD, and we win. He also continued his problem with locking onto the primary receiver. TA is a marginal BCS passing QB. BYU is a bad pass defense team. They gave up on average 270 yards/game in 2014.

Actually, this was one of his better throws of the day. First rule of throwing the bomb to a wide open receiver is COMPLETE THE PASS! Make sure you at least get the yards you can - don't try to get cute and overthrow him. It would have been nice to get a TD out of it but it really would have sucked to not get anything out of that play. He threw that ball exactly like he should have. It should have won us the game.
come on. That was no where near a bomb.

come on. That was no where near a bomb.

So we're stuck arguing semantics now?

The play went for 27 yards. The pass traveled about 40 yards in the air. No, it wasn't the deepest throw ever but it was probably the deepest of the day. And it wasn't even that underthrown - Reilly had to slow up but I'd much rather have it two yards underthrown than 6 inches overthrown.