Perlman Backs Eichorst, Riley

Mavric

First Eichorst says we're in a rebuilding mode, and now Perlman is comparing Mike Riley to Tom Osborne.....dear god these two clowns don't know how to keep their foot out of their mouth. And please, someone stop Perlman before he extends Eichorst's contract.

Two vote of confidences in one week, and we're 9 games into a first-year head coach. Just an absolute circus going on here in Lincoln.

I couldn't agree more. What a f#*k&$ joke! God help us if we get blown out on Saturday.

If the weather is decent, I just don't see NU getting blown out.

The Huskers are as (or very nearly as) talented as the Spartans. When you have even talent, and the Spartans run their system, I just don't see a game getting out of hand.

• Fire 1

Every day that Eichorst still has a job at UNL makes me more disappointed and more pessimistic about our future. A contract extension would be utterly ridiculous.

The same goes for Riley too. Keeping a rolling five year contract as a recruiting tool makes sense in most situations, but no one in his right mind thinks Riley will still be here in five years. If a contract extension sways recruits, well I don't know if we want recruits who are that dumb.

Eichorst and Riley represent very expensive mistakes. Buyouts are expensive, yes, but keeping them around will be more expensive in the long run, and more years and more extensions only compound those mistakes and dig us into a deeper hole.

The whole thing just makes me sad.

I hope he is here in 5 years. If he is, it likely means he got this thing turned around. If he's not, then that means another coaching change and more delays until we are competing for conference championships again.

I said the same about Pelini a couple of years ago. I and have the same feelings towards Riley. As long as he's the coach, he has my support. I hope he retires here, because that more than likely means good things have happened. I actually feel kind of bad for Riley in this drama, Eichorst and Perlman are doing there damndest to make a crappy situation even more awkward....

If the Board has any aspiration for the football program, they'll block any proposed contract extension for Shawn Eichorst. That will send a clear message to the three stooges HP, SE, MR. You don't have to go back very far to find out about our past when we extended a contract to a previous incompetent in over his head Athletic Director. Let's hope the local media invokes the past and whether or not we learned anything from it.

Why on earth would you extend the contract of the AD with a new chancellor coming on board in less than a year. Let the new person evaluate and make a change if needed.

Bravo to HP & SE. Disagree (*or rabble) all you guys like. I'm confident too that we are going to see better days in Lincoln, and thankful for the folks working to get us there.

You're being sarcastic, right? You don't honestly approve of the way Perlman and Riley have done their jobs this season?

I'm totally serious. I don't mind -- and understand -- that a lot of people will disagree. This is Nebraska, and this has been a terrible season. A lot of fans are going to want everybody fired.

Bo's a good guy, I'm sure, and all appeared fine for a while. The way he responded to the heat was completely disgraceful. Riley isn't the only guy in the world who could have taken the task of undoing Bo's legacy, but it's hard to imagine someone who's better at it. Now, he'll still have to win games, or his tenure will only be 3-4 years. I'm OK with that. It's hard to find The Next Great Coach. If Riley isn't it, we'll look again.

Perlman has been great for the University from what I can see. I don't put a lot of stock in all the nits that unhappy football fans will try to pick in his role as Chancellor. I get it, we're mad that 2004-2015 happened. I'm grateful for his long service to UNL. Think UNL has been lucky to have him, but of course, there are many good chancellors.

Both SE and Perlman have, and enforce, the kind of values I'm happy to see at Nebraska. The coaches an AD hires will not always pan out sports wise. How the AD handles that defines him. I have zero complaints with SE and nothing but gratitude for how he handled the Bo firing, and the Riley hiring. Yes, whether Riley lasts is TBD -- which is true even for coaches who win 11 games their first year. This is big time college football. HCs are never safe for long.

One day neither HP nor SE will be here. I'd hope their successors share similar qualities, and to even have some better ones. Whether the masses of fans will like or hate those successors...will always depend on how the football team happens to be doing. C'est la vie.

• Fire 1

The problem I have with HP and SE (and Pederson before SE), is that they are agenda driven and backhanded.

I have no doubt that Eichorst hated seeing NU beat Iowa in 2013, which is exactly how Pederson reacted to Solich beating Colorado in '03.

No man of integrity would secretly (or not so secretly) wish for players in his department to fail so that his pre-conceived agenda could be more easily executed.

That displays such an utter lack of integrity and courage that I think it should be a firable offense from a position such as AD.

Their discussion of "winning the right way" is all just lip service. They should have been concentrating on leading the right way.

• Fire 1