What Did We Learn: Iowa Edition

Toe warmers<hand warmers

Gawd I wish I had toe warmers, instead marching in place was my game plan ended up ok. Guy next to me left at half time, his feet went numb, he asked me if mine where I was like nope, while been marching in place this whole half.

The two things I learned from this game is that you can never really trust Armstrong or Langsdorf, which is pretty scary as I expect both will be back in 2016. For the Iowa game today, minus the bonehead 4th and 1 call, I would say Langsdorf deserves less of the blame as it's true that an average QB would have made several plays today, or not made several INTs today. Tommy is simply a below average QB, and not one that should be counted on to lead a power 5 team. Had we had someone like Zac Lee this year, I think NU ends up with a 8-4 or 7-5 record. Lee was not going to make the wow plays, but also was not going to cost many games with bad decision making.

Langsdorf called a great game today, the 4th & 1 was a terrible read by Tommy. POB needs to take this job and run with it. With a better QB we win 9-10 games this season.

Bad thing is TA never made the read. Watch the play again. He takes the snap and immediately pops to his right to throw the deep ball. He never drops back, surveys the field or look around. As soon as the play came in, in his mind he knew where he was going with the ball. I think that is his problem. He not only telegraphs in that he doesn't look of DB's or progress through reads, but gets the play and predetermines where he goes. IMO, that is why he never sees a defender in the route or say underneath. He gets tunnel vision and sees nothing else.

11 games of this, with the game on the line, you mitigate your mistakes and call a sure thing. Not a TA pick em......

• Fire 1

Toe warmers<hand warmers

Gawd I wish I had toe warmers, instead marching in place was my game plan ended up ok. Guy next to me left at half time, his feet went numb, he asked me if mine where I was like nope, while been marching in place this whole half.
A friend of mine at the game got frost bite on his feet and had to go to a first aid station. He was also in line 5 hours before the game (student) so that could've had something to do with it too lol.

The two things I learned from this game is that you can never really trust Armstrong or Langsdorf, which is pretty scary as I expect both will be back in 2016. For the Iowa game today, minus the bonehead 4th and 1 call, I would say Langsdorf deserves less of the blame as it's true that an average QB would have made several plays today, or not made several INTs today. Tommy is simply a below average QB, and not one that should be counted on to lead a power 5 team. Had we had someone like Zac Lee this year, I think NU ends up with a 8-4 or 7-5 record. Lee was not going to make the wow plays, but also was not going to cost many games with bad decision making.

Langsdorf called a great game today, the 4th & 1 was a terrible read by Tommy. POB needs to take this job and run with it. With a better QB we win 9-10 games this season.

Bad thing is TA never made the read. Watch the play again. He takes the snap and immediately pops to his right to throw the deep ball. He never drops back, surveys the field or look around. As soon as the play came in, in his mind he knew where he was going with the ball. I think that is his problem. He not only telegraphs in that he doesn't look of DB's or progress through reads, but gets the play and predetermines where he goes. IMO, that is why he never sees a defender in the route or say underneath. He gets tunnel vision and sees nothing else.

11 games of this, with the game on the line, you mitigate your mistakes and call a sure thing. Not a TA pick em......

I don't disagree.

Where do people place more of the blame on that 4th down - on Langsdorf or TA?

I noticed a lot of people on Twitter saying 'don't blame Langsdorf because he didn't throw the ball.' While true, it's also a coaches job to put a QB (and the team) in a position to win the game. Did Langsdorf and the coaches put TA and the team in the right spot there to convert, while understanding the limitations TA has?

totally TA. The wide open receiver proves that langsdorf put Tommy in a great position. People can claim that DL needs to know his qb's strengths and weaknesses so he should've justhe ran the ball, but a 3 year starting qb for a power 5 school should have enough common sense to know game situation and that 4th and 1 means you don't need to and shouldn't go for a home run shot, especially when you have a wide open receiver a couple yards past the 1st down. Obviously TA would've still had to get it to carter accurately enough to catch, and carter in turn would've had to make the catch, but the coaches still put them in a position to make the play. Tommy didn't even look at the check down and stared down the fly fade the whole way.

But here's the thing....TA has been a 3-year starter and in that time has shown no consistency in being able to make those throws. It's not like him missing that throw was an anomaly. It's what Tommy does, and DL should recognize that. Now if Tommy were a freshman and hadn't shown such inconsistently I would feel better with the call, but DL is not playing to Tommy's strengths.

Hawk fan first post. I don't live in Iowa anymore so not around too many Iowa or Nebraska fans. Here is my opinion for you guys....

The TA situation seems like what Iowa had last year. Jake Ruddock at QB for Iowa just was not a good fit in their offense. Ferentz walked that SOB out there for two years then finally grew a sack after the bowl game last year and announced Beathard as starting QB. He couldn't read progressions. At all. What made him worse, he can't run either. He won some games, he has looked better at Michigan, but if you really watch the games, he still locks on to primary receiver and throws it at Michigan. I watched the Neb/MSU game and since MSU plays mainly man coverage, it is MUCH easier to read routes and complete throws to primary targets. Iowa runs ALL zone coverage and variations of zones. You have to be able to read progressions and where a defense is in zone coverage, its obvious he has some serious troubles with this. Iowa should have had 7 picks..maybe 8.

Im not a delusional Iowa fan, we have had way better Iowa teams, but this one wins.

Good luck and I as an outsider don't get the Riley hiring. I'd dump Riley ASAP and pick up Miles / Orgeron combo. I hope you don't!

• Fire 1

I learned that I have absolutely zero faith in this staff heading into next year. No excuses, it's time to put up or shut up.

I also have no doubt that TA will not be our starter next season. The reins will be handed to POB, and he will hold the fate of this staff in his hands.

I am willing to go with that.

I noticed a lot of people on Twitter saying 'don't blame Langsdorf because he didn't throw the ball.' While true, it's also a coaches job to put a QB (and the team) in a position to win the game. Did Langsdorf and the coaches put TA and the team in the right spot there to convert, while understanding the limitations TA has?

totally TA. The wide open receiver proves that langsdorf put Tommy in a great position. People can claim that DL needs to know his qb's strengths and weaknesses so he should've justhe ran the ball, but a 3 year starting qb for a power 5 school should have enough common sense to know game situation and that 4th and 1 means you don't need to and shouldn't go for a home run shot, especially when you have a wide open receiver a couple yards past the 1st down. Obviously TA would've still had to get it to carter accurately enough to catch, and carter in turn would've had to make the catch, but the coaches still put them in a position to make the play. Tommy didn't even look at the check down and stared down the fly fade the whole way.

But here's the thing....TA has been a 3-year starter and in that time has shown no consistency in being able to make those throws. It's not like him missing that throw was an anomaly. It's what Tommy does, and DL should recognize that. Now if Tommy were a freshman and hadn't shown such inconsistently I would feel better with the call, but DL is not playing to Tommy's strengths.

It's been documented on here today that DL and Tommy are butting heads about Tommy's decision making. If that is true, what do you want the guy (DL) to do?

Unfortunately, Tommy is the by far the best we got. Thanks 408.

I have read this too, and if this is a known problem where they are butting heads and DL cannot trust TA to execute key plays, why on earth would you trust TA to make such a critical 4th and 1 throw. Also, if this butting of heads is true, all the more reason for me to be excited that POB will at least get a chance to start next year. I did hear Riley say there were "more options" on the 4th and 1 call, so this would not be the first time Tommy chose the worst option. And again, as I stated earlier, I think with an average QB many of DL's play calls would not look so dumb, but TA is a below average passer, and we should never be passing a ball 45 times with a below average passer.

It's been documented on here today that DL and Tommy are butting heads about Tommy's decision making. If that is true, what do you want the guy (DL) to do?

I have read this too, and if this is a known problem where they are butting heads and DL cannot trust TA to execute key plays, why on earth would you trust TA to make such a critical 4th and 1 throw. Also, if this butting of heads is true, all the more reason for me to be excited that POB will at least get a chance to start next year. I did hear Riley say there were "more options" on the 4th and 1 call, so this would not be the first time Tommy chose the worst option. And again, as I stated earlier, I think with an average QB many of DL's play calls would not look so dumb, but TA is a below average passer, and we should never be passing a ball 45 times with a below average passer.

I think the pass on 4th and 1 was a horrible call, but the evidence is right there....Carter was standing on an island. If they were going to pass, I would have preferred that they line up under center in the offset I rather than the gun. This would have at least allowed for some type of realistic play action. They almost need to give up on TA drop back all together.

If these rumors have legs, you better believe that the staff is going to open to change.

This isn't on Pelini at all. Pelini won 9 games with Armstrong...remember?...

...and didn't a host of people say that Riley was supposed to be the bees' knees in developing talent and coaching up players...remember?...

...so why has Armstrong regressed and nobody behind him has improved enough to overtake him?

On a larger scale, if you think that all there is to coaching is taking a high school kid and handing him a college jersey, then put me on the list of job seekers in that profession. I mean, if they can teach a young man to dogfight in a F-22 or fix a nuclear submarine's reactor under the polar ice cap in a couple of years, is it too much to ask a coach making 20 times as much as the people teaching that stuff to teach a young man the same age how not to throw a pass off of his back foot in the same time frame?

• Fire 2

Learned this prove staff continued it's proven record of mediocrity. The game was a microcosm of the year and their track record.

Not just this game, but the year proved Bruce Read was a waste of a hire. And the guy brings nothing too the recruiting table.

It obviously is now physically impossible to pick up three yards in two plays by running the ball.

Add another year to the streak of being unable to run a screen play. Believe that puts it to eight years.

Iowa may be undefeated but they would get sh#t rolled in a play off game.

• Fire 3

Toe warmers<hand warmers

Toe warmers<hand warmers

Toe warmers<hand warmers

Do not waste your $ on toe warmers. Go right to the hand warmers and shove them in your shoes. Mine are still hot
  • Fire 1

We learned that Tommy is a turnover machine and is accountable for 5 losses this year. I don't see him improving his mechanics. I just don't think he's a very good quarterback. He's a good athlete but a quarterback? No and I think it's time to start looking at other options and/or developing someone else. I'm more inclined to see a true freshman and accept his shortcomings but Tommy, he's a junior. I expected him to play better this year and it's getting old listening to him say he played bad blah blah blah. Time to consider moving him to WR.

• Fire 2

...and didn't a host of people say that Riley was supposed to be the bees' knees in developing talent and coaching up players...remember?...

...so why has Armstrong regressed and nobody behind him has improved enough to overtake him?

On a larger scale, if you think that all there is to coaching is taking a high school kid and handing him a college jersey, then put me on the list of job seekers in that profession. I mean, if they can teach a young man to dogfight in a F-22 or fix a nuclear submarine's reactor under the polar ice cap in a couple of years, is it too much to ask a coach making 20 times as much as the people teaching that stuff to teach a young man the same age how not to throw a pass off of his back foot in the same time frame?

It's really pretty simple: Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell and an All American PR/WR who has been hurt all year.

Tommy plays the exact same as he has since he started here. It is scary how much his progression resembles Martinez. TA throwing of his back foot is based upon instincts and decision making and not coaching mechanics.

You always see the stories on shoes the Gameday or 30 for 30 where they say stuff "The kid is so coachable" or "He has such a high football IQ". You never hear it it the other way around. The kid is a winner and he wants to make the big play, but I don't believe that there is anything the coaches can do with him.

• Fire 3

It's really pretty simple: Ameer Abdullah, Kenny Bell and an All American PR/WR who has been hurt all year.

Tommy plays the exact same as he has since he started here. It is scary how much his progression resembles Martinez. TA throwing of his back foot is based upon instincts and decision making and not coaching mechanics.

You always see the stories on shoes the Gameday or 30 for 30 where they say stuff "The kid is so coachable" or "He has such a high football IQ". You never hear it it the other way around. The kid is a winner and he wants to make the big play, but I don't believe that there is anything the coaches can do with him.

Ameer would get 3 touches a game in this offense.

Westy was TA's favorite target, not Kenny Bell.

Armstrong won 2 years ago without DPE.

Any more excuses?

• Fire 1