Will NU return to National Dominance again - next 10-15 years

TGHusker

Will NU return to "Albama"s standard during the next 10 - 15 years?  

103 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is there another historically elite program in the country, that has a fan base with as negative an outlook on their program as Nebraska's?

Is a run similar to what we had in the 90's going to happen again? Probably not.

Is Nebraska going to win 4 titles in 7 years like Alabama just did? Probably not.

Can Nebraska contend nationally on a yearly basis, and win a National title or two every couple decades? Why the hell not! Nebraska's football program has numerous advantages over most of the programs in the country, with our one disadvantage being the lack of elite talent in our backyard. I'd be willing to bet that there is a coach out there that would be willing, and able to come in here and overcome that disadvantage, while capitalizing on our multiple advantages and lead us to the promise land.

It'll be harder for Nebraska to accomplish, but it always has been! I refuse to believe that our program is incapable of winning National Championships in the future.

This program has to many people around it that care, and to much going for it for that to be true.

• Fire 1

Is there another historically elite program in the country, that has a fan base with as negative an outlook on their program as Nebraska's?

Is a run similar to what we had in the 90's going to happen again? Probably not.

Is Nebraska going to win 4 titles in 7 years like Alabama just did? Probably not.

Can Nebraska contend nationally on a yearly basis, and win a National title or two every couple decades? Why the hell not! Nebraska's football program has numerous advantages over most of the programs in the country, with our one disadvantage being the lack of elite talent in our backyard. I'd be willing to bet that there is a coach out there that would be willing, and able to come in here and overcome that disadvantage, while capitalizing on our multiple advantages and lead us to the promise land.

It'll be harder for Nebraska to accomplish, but it always has been! I refuse to believe that our program is incapable of winning National Championships in the future.

This program has to many people around it that care, and to much going for it for that to be true.

Perfectly said.

We have played for the conference championship 3 times since 2009. Two of those times we were very close to winning it.

This year, we beat the eventual conference champion

There is no reason why we can't compete and win conference championships in the next 10-15 years.

Win those and we are in the playoffs competing for NCs.

• Fire 1

As I noted in the OP - I do believe we will compete for a NC again. The right schedule, the right QB will make the difference. Yes, maybe a legacy coach like a Scott Frost could come in here and stay for a very long time and build in the way Tom did. I think what makes Tom different than so many of the great coaches of the past was that he had more disadvantages to work wt - he didn't have the recruiting hot bed near by, he didn't have the Norte Dame name on his jacket, he didn't have the beaches and climate that was attractive or the big city life. He did have persistence and understood we had to be real good at a few things and build long term around those - a great running game and an aggressive D. If a coach came in and invested his life to a single vision - then perhaps we could be a consistent player on the national scene. But it will take that kind of commitment & vision by the head coach and his assistants, the AD, regents and fans.

As I noted in the OP - I do believe we will compete for a NC again. The right schedule, the right QB will make the difference. Yes, maybe a legacy coach like a Scott Frost could come in here and stay for a very long time and build in the way Tom did. I think what makes Tom different than so many of the great coaches of the past was that he had more disadvantages to work wt - he didn't have the recruiting hot bed near by, he didn't have the Norte Dame name on his jacket, he didn't have the beaches and climate that was attractive or the big city life. He did have persistence and understood we had to be real good at a few things and build long term around those - a great running game and an aggressive D. If a coach came in and invested his life to a single vision - then perhaps we could be a consistent player on the national scene. But it will take that kind of commitment & vision by the head coach and his assistants, the AD, regents and fans.

I agree with you on that. I'm a naturally positive person and would like nothing more than to see that happen.

I know for a fact that many of the younger members here do not remember the National Championship years of Osborne.

The thing that stands out when I think about those days is how much FUN and PRIDE the husker nation had during those days. Games were actually fun to watch and look forward to. Our coaches were genius and everyone admired them. Our players were beasts and everyone admired them. It was a family atmosphere and it spoke a message that we did not need glitz and glamour... we had our hard work and determination and our success, to show the world that those were the things that mattered .

We can do it. But we have to believe we can do it... first.

We need great coaches... great recruiters... a great athletic director... great boosters... and to continue to have great fans.

We have a lot of work to do... we can do it.

I went with 'no', but there is a little bit of an asterisk on it. Do I think Nebraska can ever win 3 titles in 4 years, go 60-3 over a stretch and/or win a bunch of conf championships in a row? No, I don't. But I think Nebraska can have similar success as Oklahoma has had over the past 15-18 years . Always hovers in that top 15-20, has a few disappointing years here and there, makes it to the playoff now and again, and maybe once every decade or so be a real player in the national championship discussion. Nebraska and Oklahoma have similar traditions with similar recruiting disadvantages (I realize that Oklahoma is close to Texas and has more D1 talent, but similar geographically). Nebraska needs to play a different brand of football than OU, but I think Nebraska can achieve the same amount of success.

I pretty much agree with this but I think it is very hard for a team not named Alabama or Ohio St. to consistantly win 11 games a year in this day and age. I think teams can do it maybe for a 3-4 year stretch, but to do it for a decade or more not likely. Look at just a few examples Oklahoma made the playoffs this year but last year were what 8-5? Oregon makes the final last year and loses 4 this year. How many did Miss St and Mississipi lose this year, four each? Stanford lost 5 last year and this year they were playing some of the best ball of any team at the end. ASU was considered a dark horse to make the playoffs this year and ended up 6-6 I believe.

I just think the talent is so much more spread out. The coaching is good at a lot of places that it will be hard to be great every year for pretty much everyone. Can Nebraska win a B1G title and make the college playoffs, yes definitely but to do it every year or even be in the conversation every year I don't think so. But, again I don't just feel that way about Nebraska I feel that way about college football in general.

Just a reminder;

to, too, two....

to- (preposition) used as a function word to indicate movement or an action or condition suggestive of movement toward a place, person, or thing reached <drove to the city> <went back to the original idea> <went to lunch>

too- (adverb) in addition, also

: more than what is wanted, needed, acceptable, possible, etc.

: to a high degree or extent : very or extremely

two- (noun) the number 2.

• Fire 1

The era of NU dominance is over. Now we will struggle to get in the top 5 teams like Iowa, MSU.

Scholarship limits, strength training, outside cash have all caught up with NU. Not to mention the top two or three programs right now have elements enhancing recruiting, and performance that go beyond what NU is doing. Dominance is done here. The best thing NU could do would be to find the next Saban and offer twice what anybody else would. Bottom line, you gotta get the dude.

This poll ask about the next 10 to 15 years, will the NCAA even exist in 10 to 15 years? Will players be paid by then? Will there just be super conferences?

Hard to answer this question. My crystal ball is hazy at best. I voted yes because I want to believe. However my gut says no.

Like other posters pointed out, if we had the hiring luck that OSU had we could.

OSU did not have luck, UM was a proven commodity. OU had some luck nobody could see how well Stoops was going to do at OU.

We can become a to 10 to 15 team, as far a another legendary all time great team .......... that would be a stretch USC was Close, Theeeeeeeeeee Ohio State got close and now Alabama is about at that point. Bama may get it but I don't think any team will again hit the level of success the the 1990's husker teams had. The world is becoming small due to technology and combine that with fewer scholarships and more sophisticated training and development and I think that true dynasties will be hard to come by.