Saban: Osborne told me "You're not as bad as you think."

Mavric

In his first game as Michigan State head coach in 1995, the Spartans lost to defending national champ Nebraska 50-10 at home. It’s a game Saban brings up from time to time, and it still has an impact.

“After somebody asked me (about national titles) the other day, the first thing that came to my mind was my first game at Michigan State when we played Nebraska, when Tom Osborne was the coach, and we got beat like 56-7,” Saban said. “I had been in the NFL for four years, and I'm saying, we may never win a game as a college coach.
“I remember running across the field and Tom Osborne, I think they won the national championship the year before and maybe that year, too, and he said, ‘You're not as bad as you think.’ So that's the first thing that comes to my mind.”
Saban is known for quickly moving past his national championships to get back recruiting, but it’s a mindset that applies to everything, good and bad.
“I learned a lesson that day. As long as you do this, it's always about your next play. It's always about the next game,” he said. “So I've never really ever thought too much about all that. I have a tremendous amount of appreciation for all the players who have played for us, came to our school, bought into our program, did the things that they needed to do to have a chance to experience a championship, whether it was at LSU or the four at Alabama. That's where most of my appreciation lies, is with the players.”

Link

• Fire 2

Great Story in some ways it is bitter sweet, too bad some of the Coaches closer to home could not figure out Tom's keys to success. Osborne and Saban have the ultimate "IT" factor the ability to Combine Football Genius with the Ability to Teach and Motivate Kids. Many may coaches may have some of the mix but it is rare to have both.

This thread needs video! And a beautiful video it is!! 567 rushing yards vs. only 82 rushing yards for Sparty. :lol:

Take a look at the play at 4:02. It's a direct snap to LP that made Saban's defense look foolish. :thumbs:

• Fire 2

One of the funniest moments I remember after this game was that Saban said that he though NU's best RB that game was Jay Sims. Sims was the 5th string I-back that day, and ripped off an 80-yard TD run late in the 4th quarter. See the 5:05 mark of the video posted above.

Sims was much better than where he was on the depth chart. I personally knew him, and he was an athletic freak. If memory serves me correctly, he was the fastest guy on the team. I think he was also the oldest guy on the team. For whatever reason, he was always in the coaches doghouse. They didn't like some of his sideline antics.

One of the funniest moments I remember after this game was that Saban said that he though NU's best RB that game was Jay Sims. Sims was the 5th string I-back that day, and ripped off an 80-yard TD run late in the 4th quarter. See the 5:05 mark of the video posted above.

Sims was much better than where he was on the depth chart. I personally knew him, and he was an athletic freak. If memory serves me correctly, he was the fastest guy on the team. I think he was also the oldest guy on the team. For whatever reason, he was always in the coaches doghouse. They didn't like some of his sideline antics.

Sims was a totally freak athlete. Teach might have known him from the dorms, and I had played basketball with him a time or two at the campus rec center. He was in his mid 20's while he was at UNL. I always thought it was funny that the roster listed him being a graduate of Omaha Burke. Sims never touched foot in the school.