Hank Hughes no longer with team

gbr93

Not a big deal? MR just did something the other regime refused to do. He was not great at recruiting and the pass rush was terrible. Give at least some credit!

Setting aside the part where a six-win season is more of a call for changes than 9/10 win seasons....

And setting aside that "bad" recruiter may not even be descriptive enough as this may have been the single worst recruiting year at a specific position group ever...

And setting aside that there are rumblings that Riley's hand may have been forced on this issue...

It's nice of you to conveniently forget that Shawn Watson, Ted Gilmore and Mike Ekeler were suddenly no longer employed by the University?

Watson "found" a job in Louisville before he was ever let go or however it could be spun, Ekeler left for Indiana with Co-Defensive Coordinator title, and Ted Gilmore had his contract run out and not get extended because of hush hush character issues.

Very much different things, and different statements, than straight up firing someone and letting that be that.

Nope.

Yep.

Can someone who follows recruiting more closely explain how Hughes was a liability on the recruiting trail, which has been mentioned a couple times in this thread?

Just genuinely curious as this is the first I've heard of it.

We had almost a complete lack of DL guys interested in us this year. The only official visits we got were the two guys who signed. One live a half an hour from Memorial Stadium and the other had been begging for an offer for over a year. There were hardly even any guys who seemed interested.

Now, some of that may have been because the staff had decided not to recruit a DT this year. Not sure if that was Hughes' call or someone else. But it was still basically non-existent.

Edit: I missed that we did have one other OV this year. A four-star DT who signed with Texas. But we apparently decided not to keep recruiting him.

That would make sense. I mean, if you want to catch the best fish possible, and you can go pretty much anywhere, it wouldn't be ideal to cast a line in the pond out back. Not too mention, go reel them in.

I thought Ek & Bo butted heads. I don't know that it was ever apparent why. The murmurs included Ek's recruiting tact. I thought it was clear that of the coaching moves Bo made, only Sanders and maybe Carl was a situation where his hand was forced.

Anyway, Bo's call was to replace him with Ross Els for the next four years. Water under the bridge; now we have Bray.

I think it's hard to deny that DL coaching was not very strong this year. I would've been OK with keeping Hughes and giving him another go of it, but obviously Riley has a better view of the situation and made the unexpected call after just one season. It's not easy to get both a good teacher & a good recruiter, and of course all eyes will be on the latter for the next guy.

• Fire 1

Not a big deal? MR just did something the other regime refused to do. He was not great at recruiting and the pass rush was terrible. Give at least some credit!

Setting aside the part where a six-win season is more of a call for changes than 9/10 win seasons....

And setting aside that "bad" recruiter may not even be descriptive enough as this may have been the single worst recruiting year at a specific position group ever...

And setting aside that there are rumblings that Riley's hand may have been forced on this issue...

It's nice of you to conveniently forget that Shawn Watson, Ted Gilmore and Mike Ekeler were suddenly no longer employed by the University?

Watson "found" a job in Louisville before he was ever let go or however it could be spun, Ekeler left for Indiana with Co-Defensive Coordinator title, and Ted Gilmore had his contract run out and not get extended because of hush hush character issues.

Very much different things, and different statements, than straight up firing someone and letting that be that.

Nope.

Yep.

Nope. Did you even read your post. You are basically saying Watson "found another job," and that they "decided to not to extend" Gilmores contract. Watson was basically told to find another job and things would go down as he is moving on. The other option was dont find another job and be fired. With Gilmore, when you dont extend a contract of someone who still wants the job, that is basically firing someone. Is there really a difference? Not if you have any comprehension skills.
  • Fire 1

Nope.

Yep.

Nope. Did you even read your post. You are basically saying Watson "found another job," and that they "decided to not to extend" Gilmores contract. Watson was basically told to find another job and things would go down as he is moving on. The other option was dont find another job and be fired. With Gilmore, when you dont extend a contract of someone who still wants the job, that is basically firing someone. Is there really a difference? Not if you have any comprehension skills.

The point is that the situations were different. Bo, being the fiercely loyal guy that he was, only ever let go of coaches if he could help them save face and land on their feet first, or if he had no choice due to moral failure. That's different, and a lot more sympathetic and 'loyal', than just firing someone cold turkey. We haven't really seen a coach cut dead weight in a no-nonsense matter in over a decade.

I was hoping for a former Beast of a BLACKSHIRT to come coach the D-Line.. How sweet that could be for recruiting.

Give us a name(s) who would fit that description.

Of coarse i have no Idea if they can coach.. But Winstrom, Peters, to name a few. Who could sell playing D-Line and being a blackShirts better then them?

Please be joking.

Why?

I hope it is JP just so everyone can see how full of crap and clueless the guy really is.

JP's answer to everything is "let me tell you how we did it in the 90s, man!!!"

Wouldn't it be better if we were doing things like we did in the 90s? We had 3 NCs then!!!! :)
You don't have to tell me how it was in the 90s, I was in undergrad at UNL for all 3 titles. But, every time JP talks, it's about how things were done back then. I know it was a great time, and he was a great player, but it gets a little old. It's ok for him to move forward and give actual recommendations on how NU can improve.

Yeah, those 90s guys are always braggin'...

They have every right to brag, but, count me in the portion of the fan base that is uninterested in hearing about it or really talking about it anymore. They deserve every accolade thrown their direction, but I think this program's success in the 90's has also become one of it's greatest curses. Everything is constantly compared and referenced to that era and we almost exclusively use players from that era to give us analysis of the program.

In regards to Peter, I think that's a suggestion that should be put to bed. There are dozens of candidates that have better recruiting connections and that needs to be one of the top priorities for this hire outside of coaching ability.

• Fire 3

I was hoping for a former Beast of a BLACKSHIRT to come coach the D-Line.. How sweet that could be for recruiting.

Give us a name(s) who would fit that description.

Of coarse i have no Idea if they can coach.. But Winstrom, Peters, to name a few. Who could sell playing D-Line and being a blackShirts better then them?

Please be joking.

Why?

I hope it is JP just so everyone can see how full of crap and clueless the guy really is.

JP's answer to everything is "let me tell you how we did it in the 90s, man!!!"

Wouldn't it be better if we were doing things like we did in the 90s? We had 3 NCs then!!!! :)
You don't have to tell me how it was in the 90s, I was in undergrad at UNL for all 3 titles. But, every time JP talks, it's about how things were done back then. I know it was a great time, and he was a great player, but it gets a little old. It's ok for him to move forward and give actual recommendations on how NU can improve.

Yeah, those 90s guys are always braggin'...

They have every right to brag, but, count me in the portion of the fan base that is uninterested in hearing about it or really talking about it anymore. They deserve every accolade thrown their direction, but I think this program's success in the 90's has also become one of it's greatest curses. Everything is constantly compared and referenced to that era and we almost exclusively use players from that era to give us analysis of the program.

In regards to Peter, I think that's a suggestion that should be put to bed. There are dozens of candidates that have better recruiting connections and that needs to be one of the top priorities for this hire outside of coaching ability.

Totally agree.

I thought Ek & Bo butted heads. I don't know that it was ever apparent why. The murmurs included Ek's recruiting tact. I thought it was clear that of the coaching moves Bo made, only Sanders and maybe Carl was a situation where his hand was forced.

Anyway, Bo's call was to replace him with Ross Els for the next four years. Water under the bridge; now we have Bray.

I think it's hard to deny that DL coaching was not very strong this year. I would've been OK with keeping Hughes and giving him another go of it, but obviously Riley has a better view of the situation and made the unexpected call after just one season. It's not easy to get both a good teacher & a good recruiter, and of course all eyes will be on the latter for the next guy.

I don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but just from what I've read HH's recruiting and relatability to players weren't good. I wonder if VV leaving early and Fant sticking with Iowa weren't directly related to HH. Anyway, I trust coach Riley did the best right thing he could do, and I'm sure he'll do a better job given a mulligan on that position coach. If he gets someone along the lines of a Bray, Williams or Stewart I think we'll be in great shape.