Spring Position Battles - Quarterback

Mavric

I just think that POB will be higher up the depth chart by Fall. When is the cutoff to redshirt him?

Again, if Fyfe is better then fine let him be the back up. But seeing as that's his ceiling and this is his last year I wouldn't hate the thought of having POB competing for the starting job next year with actual game experience. Between Lee, Gebbia and POB it could be the biggest difference maker in who wins the job.

If he plays a snap this year he burns the redshirt, that one snap can be in the first game or the 13th/14th.

Yeah I understad that, I'm wondering if there is a timeframe you have to decide he is redshirting, I assume there is not since you can pull it at any time.

OK, so if by end of the year POB can't beat a walk on QB (to be the 2nd string guy here), i shouldn't be concerned......yeah, i am good with that.

Why would we need to be? An 18-year-old vs a 5th year senior? That's quite a head start regardless of a young player's potential. Plus, people are so concerned about someone having playing experience (regardless of how substantial or meaningful it is), Tanner Lee has plenty of it. If I had to place money on it, I'd bet Lee is the 2017 starter.
dude,if a walk on AND a transfer keep POB on the bench, we got fooled big time!
I get the sense Enhance is leery of POB's abilities.

Leery isn't the right word - more or less, I'm trying to maintain a sense of pessimism rather than optimism given that he's a true freshman. I simply don't understand the mentality that he is somehow a failure if he is not at least #2 on the depth chart at some point this season.

Where did we ever get the notion that he was some kind of quarterback prodigy? He was simply a highly touted recruit with a lot of potential.

OK, so if by end of the year POB can't beat a walk on QB (to be the 2nd string guy here), i shouldn't be concerned......yeah, i am good with that.

Why would we need to be? An 18-year-old vs a 5th year senior? That's quite a head start regardless of a young player's potential. Plus, people are so concerned about someone having playing experience (regardless of how substantial or meaningful it is), Tanner Lee has plenty of it. If I had to place money on it, I'd bet Lee is the 2017 starter.

First off, if you're referring to Fyfe as a walk on, he is on a scholarship. Furthermore, he is graduating this year and won't be a part of next year's battle.

Second, that "transfer" QB has 19 starts under his belt and will be eligible to play two years at Nebraska. Why is it somehow Earth shattering if he beats out POB? I have not seen one article or evaluation of POB that suggests he is the second coming of Peyton Manning,

First off, if you're referring to Fyfe as a walk on, he is on a scholarship. Furthermore, he is graduating this year and won't be a part of next year's battle.

Second, that "transfer" QB has 19 starts under his belt and will be eligible to play two years at Nebraska. Why is it somehow Earth shattering if he beats out POB? I have not seen one article or evaluation of POB that suggests he is the second coming of Peyton Manning,

It wouldn't even matter if there were lots of articles saying he's the 2nd coming of Peyton Manning. True Freshman aren't always great even if they end up being great later. There's nothing terribly concerning about him not beating out Fyfe. In fact, even if POB is slightly better than Fyfe in the fall I still think Fyfe should be the 2nd QB who plays in the game so we don't burn POB's redshirt. Unless of course something happens that we have to have a back up for the long term.

• Fire 4

By fall, I think POB will give us a better chance to win a game if it comes down to him and Fyfe. That's pretty much it.

I also feel like burning POB's redshirt isn't that big of deal if it makes the 3 way competetion next year more fair.

guys i can save you several more pages worth of unnecessary keystrokes

order the depth chart by who is the best quarterback at the time to who is the worst quarterback at the time regardless of year, and if POB is not the 2nd best quarterback at the time then he stays redshirted until such a time as that might change.

easy.

• Fire 1

I think people are greatly overvaluing mop up duty experience.

I agree.

Another way to look at this is, if he is 3rd or 4th string and on the practice squad compared to being second string behind Armstrong all year, where is he going to get the most snaps on practice actually running the offense.

The first string in practice is basically going to be ran by Armstrong and Fyfe is going to get some snaps here and there to keep him up to speed.

If POB is on the practice squad, he is going to be spending time in practice running an offense against what could be a pretty salty defense every day.

Now....which is more valuable on his development? A few snaps in a game here and there or a lot of snaps in practice making throws and working with WRs that he will be throwing to in the future?

I thought Tanner only has one year of eligibility left (after sitting out this year). Does he have two?

I thought Tanner only has one year of eligibility left (after sitting out this year). Does he have two?

He's petitioning the NCAA for an extra year of eligibility. Riley thinks he has a good chance at receiving it.

• Fire 1

I think people are greatly overvaluing mop up duty experience.

I agree.

Another way to look at this is, if he is 3rd or 4th string and on the practice squad compared to being second string behind Armstrong all year, where is he going to get the most snaps on practice actually running the offense.

The first string in practice is basically going to be ran by Armstrong and Fyfe is going to get some snaps here and there to keep him up to speed.

If POB is on the practice squad, he is going to be spending time in practice running an offense against what could be a pretty salty defense every day.

Now....which is more valuable on his development? A few snaps in a game here and there or a lot of snaps in practice making throws and working with WRs that he will be throwing to in the future?

This is true. The caveat is, he wouldn't be running our offense on the scout team. I'm not sure how we have our scout team structured but the reps would be good but not necessarily helpful in getting him ready to run OUR offense. Plus, I'm sure Langsdorf is running our offense so even if he isn't getting the first-team reps he would still be watching and hearing what Langs wants done.

By fall, I think POB will give us a better chance to win a game if it comes down to him and Fyfe. That's pretty much it.

I also feel like burning POB's redshirt isn't that big of deal if it makes the 3 way competetion next year more fair.

I agree with you 100% on this one. Given we are likely to continue to have other good QB's coming in after POB (Gebbia for starters, and I'm sure Riley will find a great 2018 QB as well), I'm less concerned about getting all 4 years of POB as a potential starter, and more concerned that he's had some quality reps and a full year of practicing as if he may start at any time so that, come 2017, he's not completely raw. If I'm being honest, I still feel 2016 will be a year of transition, and while I expect a better record this year than last year, I really see 2017 and 2018 being the defining years with Riley's footprint on the team, and we need a QB to step in and deliver right away in 2017.

• Fire 3

I agree with you 100% on this one. Given we are likely to continue to have other good QB's coming in after POB (Gebbia for starters, and I'm sure Riley will find a great 2018 QB as well), I'm less concerned about getting all 4 years of POB as a potential starter, and more concerned that he's had some quality reps and a full year of practicing as if he may start at any time so that, come 2017, he's not completely raw. If I'm being honest, I still feel 2016 will be a year of transition, and while I expect a better record this year than last year, I really see 2017 and 2018 being the defining years with Riley's footprint on the team, and we need a QB to step in and deliver right away in 2017.

Well said, it will be nice not having such a dramatic drop off from the starting QB to his backup. We will be able to really open the offense up to include QB running plays without the threat of our season going down the crapper due to one injury. It would be nice if Fyfe improved enough to be able to redshirt POB, but if he doesn't, I don't have a problem playing POB.

Precisely