Hillary and the classified emails

As an aside to any of the folks concerned about national security, it's relevant to mention that the State Department servers themselves got hacked pretty badly by the Russians last year. This has happened multiple times.

While it's legitimate to wonder if Clinton's server was hacked, it's as legitimate to wonder if the info therein would've been any more safe if it was stored properly.

Interesting question, no doubt. Though, to me, this is kind of like gun safety - just because thieves have been known to steal gun safes doesn't mean people should keep their weapons somewhere else.

That's a rough analogy, but hopefully the point I'm trying to make is somewhat clear.

I'm very disappointed with those who are justifying Clinton's actions. For f#*k sake, she was the secretary of state and purposely and willfully mishandled secret information. It shouldn't matter if any security was actually breached. It shouldn't matter if you feel she is a better candidate than Trump. It shouldn't matter that the FBI concluded that it would be difficult to bring charges or that she will not be charged with any crime. It shouldn't matter what kind of precedent this would or would not set. She wants to be, and likely will be our next President and it's apparent that she believes she's above the law, above what is in the best interest of this country. If you're sticking up for her and happy she isn't going to be charged, you should be ashamed of yourself. This isn't about Hillary vs Trump, this is about right and wrong and goddammit she was wrong. I wonder what rules she will set for herself when she takes another step up to the most powerful office in the world. What secrets or rules will she play fast and loose with in the future? I guess her husband was a hell of a teacher. But please keep celebrating and justifying her actions. Just goes to show how and why we have the pitiful candidates we do. Partisans will ignore blatantly wrong behavior just to keep the other side or other guy out of the office. Sad and embarrassing. You deserve everything you get.

• Fire 4

How about instead of saying "oh well, the secure servers were hacked so let's just let her do what she wants", maybe we should be demanding heightened security proptocols. Instead of saying she had nothing to do with Benghazi, even though she was the secretary of state and it is painfully obvious that lax security by the state department was responsible for our ambassador and 3 others getting killed, maybe we should be demanding more from our elected officials and our government. But no, people are all too eager to not want to place any blame because of stupid and petty partisan politics. I'm fed up with it. When you enable this behavior, you are part of the problem. Can we please start by not enabling and celebrating liars and cheats and people who think the rules don't apply to them?

• Fire 1

JJ - for me it's about the bigger picture. It's completely effed up that I have to be happy about it but I am because she's the only one who can beat Trump. The Democratic party didn't nominate the person I wanted. The Republican party couldn't find a sane person to beat Trump.

Money should not be in politics nearly at the level it is and it shouldn't be so involved in so-called news organizations who gave all of their time to Trump and Clinton.

Colin Powell - admits to doing what Clinton did. No investigation, no trial. No political uproar about this - in fact, we're not even talking about it.

Condi Rice - admits to doing what Clinton did. No investigation, no trial. No political uproar about this - in fact, we're not even talking about it.

Hillary Clinton - busted with classified information on a private email server. Investigation, but no trial. About one quarter of the country has a conniption over this, demands trial, jail time.

I'd say there's something of a witch hunt going on, based on past precedence.

2 or 3 or 4 wrongs dont make a right. I could give a sh#t if she goes to jail or not. Some percentage of whoever has no bearing on what is actually right or wrong. The people justifying her actions are doing so for purely partisan and political reasons.

• Fire 1

Colin Powell - admits to doing what Clinton did. No investigation, no trial. No political uproar about this - in fact, we're not even talking about it.

Condi Rice - admits to doing what Clinton did. No investigation, no trial. No political uproar about this - in fact, we're not even talking about it.

Hillary Clinton - busted with classified information on a private email server. Investigation, but no trial. About one quarter of the country has a conniption over this, demands trial, jail time.

I'd say there's something of a witch hunt going on, based on past precedence.

I don't think what Powell and rice did are the same. But I'd be interested to see the actual side by side comparison.

I don't think she should go to jail, or even be ineligible for election, but people have done less and been punished far more for mishandling classified info.

Johnson needs to be on the debate stage. If anything, it might be beneficial in forcing Trump and Hillary to focus on "real" issues for some of it. Without him, I think the debates are more about e-mails, walls, and radicals vs. "Islamic" radicals.

It would be nice if the candidates talked about education, infrastructure plans, healthcare costs, and budgets. Maybe next time.... -_-

I think if Johhson is allowed on the stage, we also need to have Stein on the stage too. Her numbers will go up with this Hillary decision as some Bernie Supporters will move to Trump, some will still vote for HIllary, but a good number will want a 3rd option that aligns with their leftist beliefs, and that is Stein.

I'm very disappointed with those who are justifying Clinton's actions. For f#*k sake, she was the secretary of state and purposely and willfully mishandled secret information. It shouldn't matter if any security was actually breached. It shouldn't matter if you feel she is a better candidate than Trump. It shouldn't matter that the FBI concluded that it would be difficult to bring charges or that she will not be charged with any crime. It shouldn't matter what kind of precedent this would or would not set. She wants to be, and likely will be our next President and it's apparent that she believes she's above the law, above what is in the best interest of this country. If you're sticking up for her and happy she isn't going to be charged, you should be ashamed of yourself. This isn't about Hillary vs Trump, this is about right and wrong and goddammit she was wrong. I wonder what rules she will set for herself when she takes another step up to the most powerful office in the world. What secrets or rules will she play fast and loose with in the future? I guess her husband was a hell of a teacher. But please keep celebrating and justifying her actions. Just goes to show how and why we have the pitiful candidates we do. Partisans will ignore blatantly wrong behavior just to keep the other side or other guy out of the office. Sad and embarrassing. You deserve everything you get.

Well said. Any average person working in the state department or FBI would have been charged. The fix was definitely in on this. She knowingly broke the rules and allowed hackers access to key information from our government. I can tell you that my company takes information security extremely seriously, and if anyone did what HIllary did they would be fired immediately. It's pathetic, and hopefully the political fallout from this will do HIllary in.

No, the precedent should be you go after people when they commit a prosecutable crime.

If you start deciding "meh, close enough," that's a pretty damn slippery slope.

I appreciate the distinction of your point, and I agree with that in general, but you can't act like wrapped inside of that precedent is the reality that if you're rich and powerful you're above the law. This is one of the ugliest realities of our country, and I suppose of the world in general.

Yes, I agree that definitely exists. People with more resources tend to get better legal treatment than others. They can afford to lawyer up and fight things fiercely in court, whereas a poorer, less important person could be convicted rather easily. This reality can head of legal action before it ever comes to pass.

Obviously Trump is going to push that "above the law" narrative full bore. More likely, outrage at lack of indictment indicates a lot of people don't really understand how the legal system works. There may be a bit of both involved in the end result-- there's some gray area here that's up for interpretation. As to how we arrived at where we are today, people will have to assign blame/credit to different factors based on their own beliefs and opinions.

For me, I don't really care. Long ago I identified Clinton as the candidate who best represented my values and future for the country. The other candidate is so laughably bad for me that the email thing becomes a blip in the grand scheme of things. A bad blip, but a blip. I'd never vote for that man, and I'll do what I can to make sure he never takes up the mantle.

I guess that about says all I need to know. Unfortunately I'm afraid too many people feel this same way. This country has now officially become the land of the few highly privileged and the home of the well placed.

Well that's not really fair. I think Clinton has an infinitely higher probability of fighting to make things better for everyone, particularly the disadvantaged, than Trump. Johnson doesn't have a realistic chance to win.

Elections boil down to choices. We don't have the best choices this cycle. But she's the better choice.

How can you tell if she telling the truth? You trust her?

It's great seeing the video you posted with this one here. She has proven time and again that the words coming out of her mouth cannot be trusted, so how can anyone believe anything she says from this point forward.

• Fire 2

2 or 3 or 4 wrongs dont make a right. I could give a sh#t if she goes to jail or not. Some percentage of whoever has no bearing on what is actually right or wrong. The people justifying her actions are doing so for purely partisan and political reasons.

Don't mistake people discussing the situation rationally with justifying her actions. I certainly am not, and I'm not partisan in her favor in the least.

It's possible to understand the situation, not like it, and not be in Clinton's camp.

• Fire 2

[H]opefully the political fallout from this will do HIllary in.

I don't think you are going to get your wish. I think a lot of people are just tired of this story that dragged on for 15 months. I don't think there will be much fallout from these recent developments; most opinions, one way or the other, were already made a long time ago.

Johnson needs to be on the debate stage. If anything, it might be beneficial in forcing Trump and Hillary to focus on "real" issues for some of it. Without him, I think the debates are more about e-mails, walls, and radicals vs. "Islamic" radicals.

It would be nice if the candidates talked about education, infrastructure plans, healthcare costs, and budgets. Maybe next time.... -_-

He's not at 15% is he? If he isn't then they won't allow him anywhere near the stage. With both candidates being as bad as they are, I am surprised that he isn't at 15%.

He's not at 15% because everyone is saying..."oh...that guy doesn't have a chance....now....what pathetic candidate should I vote for?"

Everyone is so caught up in arguing about which of Clintrump is the worst instead of turning around and saying...."ah ha.....there is another option here"