Brandon Reilly DUI

Should Reilly be punished more harshly than Randy Gregory for his repeated failed drug tests?

Yeah, he should.

Because Reilly made everybody else on that highway share the risks of his poor decision making.

Because Gregory was stoned only while walking? Or do you think he was behind the wheel of a car at some point too?

.15 is pretty darn reckless. If it was .07/.08ish and he just made a bad decision, i might go a little easier on him. I would suspend him for 3 games. Effectively you'd be benching him and he'd really have to work his way back.

Am I that out of touch with the legal limit? Isn't anything .08 and lower legal while anything above .08 illegal for those who are 21 or older and are not driving a commericial vehicle?

.15 is pretty darn reckless. If it was .07/.08ish and he just made a bad decision, i might go a little easier on him. I would suspend him for 3 games. Effectively you'd be benching him and he'd really have to work his way back.

Am I that out of touch with the legal limit? Isn't anything .08 and lower legal while anything above .08 illegal for those who are 21 or older and are not driving a commericial vehicle?

It's anything under .08 thats legal, according to the law .08 and above equals DUI. However if for some reason your were say .06 and driving all over the road and just generally drunk acting then you could still get a DUI because the officer could prove that you still too intoxicated to drive

I think what onlyHskrfaninIL is saying is if Reilly had blown right at the legal limit (say a .08) and been given a DUI, that it would have been more reasonable to go a bit 'easier on him.' Since he blew twice the legal limit, however, he thinks that Reilly's decision was 'pretty darn reckless.'

The only issue is if Reilly had blown a .07, which was also suggested in his post, then we wouldn't be having this conversation because he would have never been cited for a DUI.

Now, he may have still been cited for reckless driving or some other minor offense, given that he was speeding and he failed to signal a turn. But, it wouldn't have been a DUI.

Should Reilly be punished more harshly than Randy Gregory for his repeated failed drug tests?

Yeah, he should.

Because Reilly made everybody else on that highway share the risks of his poor decision making.

Because Gregory was stoned only while walking? Or do you think he was behind the wheel of a car at some point too?

Are you serious with this? Driving isn't nearly as impaired while high on marijuana as it is while drunk.

I would wager at least 80% of the people on this board have driven with a .15 bac unless they are non-drinkers.

Really? 80% at a .15? I could see possibly see 80% at a .08. Unless Reilly is an alcoholic, .15 is pretty damn drunk.

And, like it or not, results matter, and here, he didn't hurt anyone or thing.

This kind of thinking is what bugs me about drunk driving. By not hurting anyone or getting caught doing it this time, it reinforces the behavior to do it next time when there could be grave results.

I had a good friend in college that was hit by a drunk driver. Her sister was killed and she had to drop out of school for a couple semesters because she was in the ICU for a long while. She was still having surgeries a couple years after the accident to try to correct the physical damage to her, not to mention the emotional damage of losing her sister.

History is not on your side concluding .15 is pretty damn drunk. In fact, the very first blood alcohol content (BAC) limit was .15 enacted back in 1938. It wasn't until the 70's when BAC limits started to fall to our eventual .08 limit.

Yeah, he should.

Are you serious with this? Driving isn't nearly as impaired while high on marijuana as it is while drunk.

Do you know how high Gregory was?

Yeah, he should.

I take it you haven't been around many smokers? A lot of my friends smoked back in HS and in college and I have witnessed them do things that would definitely scare me if they got behind a wheel. I had one friend that burnt his car to the ground by sitting in it smoking weed. He took another friend to the gas station and decided to light up in the parking lot and dropped his pipe and it fell between his seats and caught the car on fire. He sat there and laughed while it went up in flames.

Yeah, he should.

Maybe the habitual smoker is a better driver, but for those that only dabble here and there, I'd confidently say they'd be worse than someone driving drunk at .15

Yeah, he should.

I take it you haven't been around many smokers? A lot of my friends smoked back in HS and in college and I have witnessed them do things that would definitely scare me if they got behind a wheel. I had one friend that burnt his car to the ground by sitting in it smoking weed. He took another friend to the gas station and decided to light up in the parking lot and dropped his pipe and it fell between his seats and caught the car on fire. He sat there and laughed while it went up in flames.

Yeah I'd say your friend was just really stupid to begin with. The weed didn't make him like that. Driving stoned is nothing like driving drunk. I'm in college, I know.

Yeah, he should.

Maybe the habitual smoker is a better driver, but for those that only dabble here and there, I'd confidently say they'd be worse than someone driving drunk at .15

Not to rain on any parades here, but there have actually been a lot of studies that have concluded being high from smoking weed behind the wheel isn't nearly as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel. One of the main reasons is because stoners typically drive considerably slower than drunks. Stoners typically take less risks while drunks typically take more risks.

I have to add that I really didn't know until yesterday. I read Moraine's post and thought it had to be wrong until I actually looked it up.