Change Scheme or Change QB?

MR likes a pro style QB, but we have a running QB that is a four year starter. I was thinking about other coaches that faced decisions with running and pocket QBs. In 1996, #3 ranked Tennessee played the Huskers in the Orange bowl with the poster boy for drop back Pro passers; Peyton Manning. In 1998, Tennessee wins the national championship with Tee Martin. Below is a comparison of their stats in 1997 (Manning) and 1998 (Martin).

Statistic Manning Martin

Pass Attempts 477 267

Completion% 60.2% 57.3%

Pass Yards 3819 2164

Rushes 49 103

Rush Yards -30 287

It seems that Fulmer was able to quickly adjust his system to his best athlete at QB. Is there any reason why Nebraska can't be like 1998 Tennessee for the 2016 season, and be like 1997 Tennessee for the 2017 season. If Fulmer can do it, why can't MR?

• Fire 2

Fulmer was a more CEO style of head coach, and I don't think he was tied to a certain style of offense. Heck, in Manning's freshman year, Todd Helton was Tennessee's initial starting QB and he ran an option offense.

Riley has been a pro-style WCO style offense for his entire coaching career. Langsdorf is running Riley's offense. They aren't going to change it just for a year. They may try to incorporate some more QB run game with TA, but it's not going to be a massive change.

Firing the DL coach showed he wants to win. Of course it was their first year together so it's not like he fired a buddy from OSU. If we go pass happy all year, IMO pitchforks will be out. Especially knowing what we have in TA. Now 2018 we run a pro style (I like Stanford for this) and POB is a plus 60% passer and we win, a lot, then I have no issue.

This season, isn't make or break. Not a fan of Riley initially and still not sold, but he deserves his guys to get here. He has recruited well, made some off season moves (coach P in, Hank out) as well as moving Banker to coach safeties. Gerry even commented that in games, Stewart and Banker used different terminology that confused the DB's....

Short answer, w should be run heavy per his post season pressers. I see him adapting and even evolving next year. POB is not a dual threat, but he can run well enough...

Riley has stated clearly they dropped the ball by not running it more in year 1 and reaffirmed what he's said since day 1, that running the QB is a foreign concept to them, but they are continuing to look at how to utilize Tommy as best they can.

If it will work, I'm not certain; however, to suggest he is not open to change simply ignorant or glib.

• Fire 1

Riley will not change what he does...

Adding the TE reverse after Michigan State ran it against us worked pretty well.
That's putting in one play. It's not a complete overhaul of the offense.
no but it shows he's willing to make adjustments

I think part of the reason that we didn't see more designed QB runs last year is that the coaching staff was afraid of Armstrong getting injured. We'll probably see more designed QB runs this year if the coaching staff has more faith in Fyfe this year or if O'Brien shows that he's already starter material.

Here's a quote from Langsdorf about Armstrong before the start of the season last year:

''We've always known he can run. You look at last year's stuff, and he has some real strengths running the ball,'' Langsdorf said. ''What we don't want to do is lose him to an injury because he's getting hit all the time. I want him to run like crazy and get out of bounds or slide and save those hits. I think that's important.''

Link

Riley will not change what he does...

Adding the TE reverse after Michigan State ran it against us worked pretty well.
That's putting in one play. It's not a complete overhaul of the offense.

“This is what this team has to do to be good: run the ball, be selective what you do in the passing game, make these isolated throws from the quarterback because you’re running the ball well.

I know that sounds late, but in our first year, we found out more about ourselves as we went. We ran the ball well against Michigan State. We’ve got to blame ourselves — look at the sequence of calling, how we call plays. We’ll take all the criticism. We get it."

Q: Does a running identity mean a Tommy Armstrong who runs more — or runs like he did in the bowl game (10 rushes, 76 yards)? With more quarterback depth, can you run Tommy more?

A: “I really like the number of times, and how Tommy complemented the run game in the bowl game. The designated runs. There weren’t an overabundance of them, but boy, were they effective.

“I see glimpses of that in the NFL, with Russell Wilson. You don’t overdo it, but when you do run, it’s effective.”

Q: Why wait until the bowl game?

A: “This quarterback run deal is new to us. We are discovering the subtleties in how to block it. We have so much evidence here, video across the country, our league opponents and also the teams they played. You can do a lot of (studying) here. That’s what our guys are doing right now.”

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/shatel-husker-coach-mike-riley-s-outlook-is-still-sunny/article_0f50b3de-31ce-526c-bdac-58960ea1658b.html