Gun Control

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

How to get that data is the problem...but it would be useful to determine what additional measures could be pursued. 

I would guess a small percentage. 

That is part of the problem for me with all of this. I support gun ownership more than most here but I also feel that we need to fully enforce and charge those who try to get through our current processes that are in place. If the government wants to be serious about all of this the first step that everyone on each side should be able to agree with is to fully enforce and throw the book at those who break current laws. 

• Plus1 4

9 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

That is part of the problem for me with all of this. I support gun ownership more than most here but I also feel that we need to fully enforce and charge those who try to get through our current processes that are in place. If the government wants to be serious about all of this the first step that everyone on each side should be able to agree with is to fully enforce and throw the book at those who break current laws. 

Agreed, and my view as well. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

What are situations where someone was denied buying a gun and should be prosecuted for it?

The FBI, in reviewing instant background checks for firearm purchases, detected 112,000 lie-and-try crimes in fiscal 2017 alone, and federal investigators had names and addresses on the filled-out forms. How many were prosecuted? Twelve, according to a recent Government Accountability Office report.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

The FBI, in reviewing instant background checks for firearm purchases, detected 112,000 lie-and-try crimes in fiscal 2017 alone, and federal investigators had names and addresses on the filled-out forms. How many were prosecuted? Twelve, according to a recent Government Accountability Office report.

Ahhh....I see.

Yep...many more need to be prosecuted.

3 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I would imagine the people lying on their forms to try to buy guns are the people that none of us want owning guns. 

There is obviously a reason why they can't buy one legally.

I would be interested in knowing how that number is fluctuating.  Did it go way up last year?

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Is it illegal to try and buy a gun if you can't?

I guess I don't even know if it is illegal to bring beer up to the counter if you are under 21 and do not present a fake ID, but try to purchase, is that illegal?

depends on the state but could range from misdemeanor to a felony. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is obviously a reason why they can't buy one legally.

I would be interested in knowing how that number is fluctuating.  Did it go way up last year?

seems to be hard info to find. I did see that in 2010 the number was around 48,000 who lied and tried. So it is obviously going up. Kind of what you would expect if your odds of being prosecuted were practically zilch. 

update 2012 Around 80,000 with 44 being prosecuted. 

• Plus1 2