***Tragic News - Current Nebraska Punter Sam Foltz dies in car crash***

Not to be a buzzkill, but isn't it a bit soon to think about a statue in Foltz's memory? The guy passed barely a day ago. I know he was a great player and a great guy, but it just feels too soon.

I agree - I think this fundraiser is sketchy. Maybe well intentioned, but I don't get the impression that it's been well thought out, I messaged the planner and have yet to hear back. I'm sure that in the last 24 hours since the accident the person hasn't gotten UNL and the Foltz family's approval to raise money in his name and there's already almost $1k in the account (unless it's a family member, and from the content on the site that doesn't seem to be the case). I think it's insensitive to the family. It took YEARS before Brook was honored, and that was done by the university to my knowledge.

After living through the Boston Strong fund raiser here as well as others that get started after tragedies, it's all too fresh, people will take advantage of others who just want to do "something".

Not to be a buzzkill, but isn't it a bit soon to think about a statue in Foltz's memory? The guy passed barely a day ago. I know he was a great player and a great guy, but it just feels too soon.

I agree - I think this fundraiser is sketchy. Maybe well intentioned, but I don't get the impression that it's been well thought out, I messaged the planner and have yet to hear back. I'm sure that in the last 24 hours since the accident the person hasn't gotten UNL and the Foltz family's approval to raise money in his name and there's already almost $1k in the account (unless it's a family member, and from the content on the site that doesn't seem to be the case). I think it's insensitive to the family. It took YEARS before Brook was honored, and that was done by the university to my knowledge.

After living through the Boston Strong fund raiser here as well as others that get started after tragedies, it's all too fresh, people will take advantage of others who just want to do "something".

Also, I don't think the University was putting up a "Brook Berringer Statue". It was a statue for Osborne, and they artist wanted to include a player with TO. I think it was Osborne who recommended that they use a #18 to represent Berringer. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it went down.

I was simply trying to donate money to a fund for the family and came across that, I didn't give any money. Went and checked out the creators facebook page. From what I could see he has no ties to the family or the university. Like you said, well intentions, but too soon. Not trying to be a downer just wanted to bring awareness to this.

In some ways this is worse then the Brook tragedy. He had already completed his playing time at NU, Sam was going to be a VERY important piece to this team in 2016. That's not say one has greater importance then the other, but seems worse.

With that said, it was shocking news and it did bring back memories of the Brook plan crash. It was as if it was not really happening.

I was simply trying to donate money to a fund for the family and came across that, I didn't give any money. Went and checked out the creators facebook page. From what I could see he has no ties to the family or the university. Like you said, well intentions, but too soon. Not trying to be a downer just wanted to bring awareness to this.

Hope I didnt come across sounding like I was coming down on you - wasnt the case at all. Times like this we all just want to do something - but there is always somebody who takes advantage. You. (And others) were at least smart enough to look into the creator of the fund. ,