A man you can bait with a Tweet

How do we put up with a President who talks like that? I'm reminded of this Salon interview I've been thinking of posting for a while now: http://www.salon.com/2017/04/23/philosopher-henry-giroux-on-the-culture-of-cruelty-and-donald-trump-america-is-a-democracy-on-life-support-it-cannot-breathe/

There are so many good (or at least interesting) passages in there, but this is particularly resonant:

[Q] Are Donald Trump’s voters victims?

I think the notion of victim is really a bad term because it takes away any pretense for agency and social responsibility.

[Q] I try to crystallize it down to, “They voted to hurt people.”

That’s right. Exactly.

As repugnant as this rhetoric is to a lot of us, it's the exact same stuff that has people silly with giddiness and cheering on the man's every move. When folks uncompromisingly come to his defense, I think this is the reason why: Trump is their champion in the business of hurting people (oh, but they're the 'bad guys') and they need him to be successful.

Whether a person acts giddy out of intent to hurt or out of ignorance, the effect is the same. We've seen both right here on HuskerBoard. Sad!

• Fire 1

he tries to drive the divide in our nation wider and wider with everything he does. not even giving fake words about unity. we need to get all the democrats and republicans out of office and replace them with a moderate party that wants to unite the nation and lead all of us instead of just the people with an R or a D by their names while running their brand of kleptocracy.

• Fire 2

There were a string of tweets on the 27th (too many to drag over here) where he essentially blamed everything from public parks to coal mining and more on the Dems. Looked wackier than usual (if that's possible)

I saw someone on Twitter point out that none of those tweets matched Trump's Twitter grammatical style. It was almost assuredly one of his aides pumping those out. They also seemed to show a more cogent train of thought that his tweets usually lack.

Also, he didn't wait two days before firing off the second part of a two-parter.

Lol. He TOTALLY knew Jackson was dead before the Civil War started. AMIRITE?

This may be the most unconvincing coverup of all time.

I'm sure Andrew Jackson was very angry about all those pesky abolitionists causing a fuss....

(edit: been doing a lot of research on A.Jack today. From what I've read, he wouldn't have been totally heartbroken if slavery were outlawed. He would have been frustrated at taking on a new way of business late in life but that's about it. I was just going for a snippy addendum to guyy's post. :thumbs )

• Fire 1

So....Andrew Jackson was going to prevent the Civl War by making a deal while he owned slaves himself. Meanwhile, fast forward 100+ years and the guy who was elected while getting praise from David Duke and the Alt Right admires Jackson and believes he could have prevented the Civil War also.

You just can't make this stuff up.

I would love to hear in detail what type of deal Trump or Jackson would have made with the south to keep them from seceding.

Where are all of our Trump supporters to explain this? Remember those guys, a couple months ago, who were in the thick of every conversation here defending Trump, or trying to make fun of the people here who don't like Trump?

I even reached out to those people, trying to figure out how to make P&R a safer space for them to post in, but that thread turned into a disaster of finger-pointing at "liberals" and asking people why they don't move to Canada.

Where are those guys now? Why don't they continue to support the guy they voted for?

• Fire 4

I have not been on this thread for some time. But in reading all of the above, I've come to this conclusion.............

....................................................................................................................................................................................
..............................We have a lunatic for a president :madash Let me repeat it again so you can really hear me:

We have a lunatic for a president!!! :madash

Regardless of what good his administration may accomplish over time, it will be by others and in spite of him. Like the Commerce and Ag secretaries talking sense by appealing to his ego (the voters who will be affected)- backing him away from the "drop out of NAFTA cliff" the other day.

Yes, we know. That's why so many of us were sounding the alarms about Trump for months before the election.

:thumbs:worship:clap and why I could not vote for him - Kasich/Rubio (or Rand Paul/Rubio - or even Jeb - not that I want another Bush but hey...) sure would sound good today or I could take some Dems not named Hillary - I know they would at least know how to govern. ++++ I dare say, that Hillary would be better. At least she has a head on shoulder that knows how to govern - --- Did HELL JUST FREEZE OVER??

Where are all of our Trump supporters to explain this? Remember those guys, a couple months ago, who were in the thick of every conversation here defending Trump, or trying to make fun of the people here who don't like Trump?

I even reached out to those people, trying to figure out how to make P&R a safer space for them to post in, but that thread turned into a disaster of finger-pointing at "liberals" and asking people why they don't move to Canada.

Where are those guys now? Why don't they continue to support the guy they voted for?

Some will return once the Trump campaign starts paying out again.

Some will return once the Trump campaign starts paying out again.

Which Trump - Ivanka in 2020???