Fall Camp Position Battles - Quarterback

So POB doesn't have a strong arm? In what context should this be taken?

I wouldn't hit the panic button yet.

Having a strong arm is great. But IMO its better to be accurate and a good decision maker.

Gebbia is said to have a cannon I think.

I personally think arm strength at this level is over rated sometimes. Yes, there has to be a certain level of strength to get the ball somewhere quickly. However, there have been a lot of average or below QBs with cannons for arms, and on the flip side, there have been a lot of successful QBs with average strength.

Spoiled by the mich st game. Thinks it's gonna be like that in every 2 minute drill. With your best receiver literally running FREE 30 yards down the field play after play after play after play.

I still dont know what Michigan st was trying to do on that last drive. I'll never understand. I mean, there's prevent, which only prevents you from winning, and then there's what they did. I just dont know.

• Fire 1

Spoiled by the mich st game. Thinks it's gonna be like that in every 2 minute drill. With your best receiver literally running FREE 30 yards down the field play after play after play after play.

I still dont know what Michigan st was trying to do on that last drive. I'll never understand. I mean, there's prevent, which only prevents you from winning, and then there's what they did. I just dont know.

Yeah, that was bizarre. As I recall, it's not like the safeties were trying to cover two guys or something like that. They just totally failed to have anyone anywhere near our best WR. :dunno

Yeah, that was bizarre. As I recall, it's not like the safeties were trying to cover two guys or something like that. They just totally failed to have anyone anywhere near our best WR. :dunno

And Tommy still almost threw a pick with a YOLO bomb in the endzone.

• Fire 1

For all you supporters of the disappointed underclassman transfer practice, this transfer highlights the problems therewith. Bush transfers to some other school and presumably will start out at the bottom and have to earn his way up the team's depth chart. He leaves Nebraska as the clear number 3 guy with only two seniors ahead of him. Rarely has Nebraska football had but one starting QB make it through the year without a bump or bruise or something. It is not terribly unlikely to have the top two QBs go down making Bush the starter. One major injury to Tommy this fall and it is quite probable that by mid season Bush would assume the starting role as Fyfe has demonstrated he is at best 'back up' material destined to be the emergency fill in until somebody else can be installed. As a senior, he cannot reasonably basis be called 'the future' of the program at QB.

Now the redshirt season for POB is pretty much out of the question, which suits me fine, but apparently bothered many on this board. If as many argue POB should not play this year, we are then facing yet again the ugly prospect of entering a season without a returning QB with ANY game experience in Lincoln at all. NONE. This being the third year of the Riley experiment, that ought to give even the most confident supporter cause for alarm. Tanner Lee comes with some collegiate experience but not in our offense or at the Big Ten level of major college ball but he will have had to sit out for entire year and the live action under the lights experience of Tulane football will be a distant memory and have little relevance.

Perhaps Riley has told Bush he is just not ever going to be suitable for the job and that he would be wise to move on to better oppotunities elsewhere. ? Absent that, I just don't see the logic of Bush transfer.

POB will redshirt unless both players above him are hurt. That's a fact. So, no, the redshirt is not out of the question.

Not wanting to belabor the point as time and events will ultimately answer our questions certainly, but are you suggesting by this that ONLY will POB play one snap this fall as the number 3 QB IF both Tommy and Fyfe are seriously hurt. We'll let Fyfe limp his way through half the season on a bad ankle sprain in order to preserve POB's valuable redshirt season? I firmly believe we need a back up QB (at all times) that has meaningful game experience and is prepared to be 'the man' if called upon by circumstances as they may then be. . To me, having the QB be ready to play is perhaps the most fundamental part of roster and team management the HC can do. He needs to always be planning and keeping the various positions staffed and ready for action. Injuries, personal problems, etc, etc etc are a major part of the management of personnel of any organization. Personnel management means having the people in place, trained and ready to perform so that the organization functions at a high, efficient and successful level. Quarterback performance is essential of a team's success. This is not debatable really. Without Bush, we now have two seniors (one with nearly 3 years of real life game experience and almost nobody is saying we should bench him as he's had his chance and failed to get R done. But, we have to plan not only for 2016 but for 2017 and beyond. I don't want to go 10-3 this fall and 3-10 next fall because we are starting over training our next Tommy Armstrong. This is unfair to the fans, the other players and everyone. Mismanagement gets many people fired. You must be committed to winning both now and in the future.