AJ Bush Transfering - IWCC, then Virginia Tech, now Illinois

I didnt realize how bad the qb position was managed until I saw Shaef's tweet. Just not details you think of. But man. That's really bad. That's a fireable offense in of itself.

I mean we can't fault Bo for getting us Martinez, not his fault he got injured either. And he tried for Bubba and even had a backup ready for the impending MLB decision. And Tommy was a strong pickup as well.

But yeah, looking at it like that. Yeesh.

People are so silly in their conclusions.

Is it surprising that QBs recruited for one system would leave (ala Tanner Lee) when the system changes? Attrition like that isn't even unusual when there's no upheaval.

TO QB recruits from '88-'91:

Bart James - never lettered

Mike Grant - 3 letters, but no honors

Marvin Callies - never lettered

Todd Gragnano - never lettered

Matt Jones - never lettered

Berringer - 4 letters and consummate great backup

Chester Johnson - 3 letters at receiver

Tony Veland - 3 letters at safety

It is amusing to watch people flail about this when the majority of them are the ones who have argued day in and day or that Riley needs time to get a QB for his system.

Classic example of uninformed critics latching onto random stat pulled out of thin air with zero context.

Confirmation bias rears its head again.

There's a reason, relatively speaking, why Nebraska wasn't very successful from 1988 to 1991.
I disagree with your assessment of those years' success. But even accepting it, a QB recruited in '90, for example, wouldn't have been playing in most cases those years anyway. Recruiting is a lagging indicator.

That's why I said "relative"; comparative to the previous 4 years or the successive 4 years, that time period could be considered "down years".

Yes, but then by that theory, we should look at the 2 to 4 recruiting classes proceeding that cycle.

Anyway, the point is, without context that list posted by the recruitnik "reporter" is pretty meaningless and obviously designed to incite just these sorts of arguments.

What context does there need to be, though? All of the QBs mentioned were hard misses by Pelini and staff.

I don't consider Bush, Darlington or Stanton to be hard misses. We don't know how their careers play out if there's not a shift in offense.

People seem to forget that Stanton was once a much ballyhooed QB recruit (11th ranked duel QB in the nation with offers from a lot of P5 programs, including Oregon and Wisconsin). Like the latest QB recruit, he was also a 4 star prospect,

He left because he was effectively told he didn't have a place in the new offensive system.

Darlington was the 12th ranked duel QB and a 3-star.

If Bush were to end up playing at Utah, or even UCF, is it fair to consider him a poor QB pick up? I don't think so.

• Fire 1

I have to wonder if one of the "signs" he's referring to is related to Keith Williams but I know I'm reading into things.

I don't think so but then again you never know.

Bush seems like a classy guy so I wish him the best. It will be fun to see how he does. Hopefully things go well at Iowa Western for him and who knows. Maybe he can land somewhere where he'll play and even do well. He was intriguing with that frame. I wasn't psyched that he was a lefty but that's my deal. Good luck to him.

• 4 months later...

• Mavric changed the title to AJ Bush Transfering - IWCC, then Virginia Tech, now Illinois