Coaches Poll

These polls are mostly based on W-L records and if you don't lost you tend to jump the teams that do (as everyone already knows). The CFP committee will base their rankings more off of eye test and real analysis. I think if they released the first CFP rankings today we would be much lower than #12

Wisconsins best wins are over a 3-2 unranked LSU team and a now unranked 3 or 2-2 MSU team that lost to Indiana.

Our best wins are over 2-3 Oregon and Wyoming...

To everyone who says we're way too high, I'm really curious what teams should be ahead of us right now...

Bama, OSU, Clemson, Michigan, Houston, Washington, A&M, Louisville, Tennessee, Baylor, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Stanford, and Arkansas should all definitely be above us IMO, with tossup arguments for 4-6 more.

This for damn sure! ^

Wisconsins best wins are over a 3-2 unranked LSU team and a now unranked 3 or 2-2 MSU team that lost to Indiana.

To everyone who says we're way too high, I'm really curious what teams should be ahead of us right now...

Bama, OSU, Clemson, Michigan, Houston, Washington, A&M, Louisville, Tennessee, Baylor, Wisconsin, Ole Miss, Stanford, and Arkansas should all definitely be above us IMO, with tossup arguments for 4-6 more.

This for damn sure! ^

So then we'd be ranked right around #15? So we're not ranked that much higher than we should be? We're going to find out here shortly what type of team we have here. They are either going to step up to the plate and live up to the hype or they won't. We'll find out in Wisconsin IF we remain undefeated between now and then.

There is no doubt Nebraska is ranked too high at 12. Offense is sputtering too much. Cant pull away till 4th quarter against average teams.

Wisconsin is not a toss up. That team is at least 24 points better than NU right now. We wouldnt rush for more than 100 yds against them for the game. Punts, INTs, long afternoon.

Wisconsin can barely score 24 points so that isn't likely unless they shut us out.

The same Baylor that had to make a 4th quarter rally to slip by Iowa St? And has wins over powerhouses like Northwestern St. and SMU.

Ole Miss has 2 losses, I'm sure at the end of the season they'll be up near the top 10, but as of right now they don't belong near it.

Arkansas, why? 4-1, marquee win so far is against TCU which isn't that impressive looking.

And the same Tennessee who hasn't beaten a good team convincingly all year either. They are going into OT or winning by hail mary's every week. But they will be exposed the next two weeks @ A&M and vs Alabama.

I could stomach ascending to the top 10 with a couple more wins, headed into Madison, whether deserved or not. I just don't want to see us get blown out, as we have in past visits. I'd be fine with a close loss to Wisconsin, likely loss the following week... then winning out. That would be a fine improvement on last season.

I think it shows that Nebraska is a lot more relevant nationally than most of us think/believe.

I think it just shows the weirdly flawed nature of polls. It's not really a test of "Who do I think the best 25 teams are", at least not for the first 7-8 weeks, it's more like, "Who has screwed up the least? Well let's keep moving them up."

People are so quick to be critical about everyone else's resumé and bad wins or whatever, but look at the Sagarin ratings of our 5 games so far - 132, 108, 42, 53, 78.

We haven't accomplished anything other than not royally screwing up yet. Do not mistake this for pessimism. I'm loving the team, the season, being undefeated and enjoying the ride, but you've gotta be smokin' something pretty dank to think we're really the 12th best team in the country, imo.

• Fire 1

Matty, I love Nebraska, but we ought to be sneaking into the Top 25 and not barreling towards the Top 10.

5-0 is its own argument, regardless of who, and when and where. There are a thousand ways NOT to be 5-0 right now, but those scenarios haven't happened.

People watch Armstrong nonchalantly run through defenses for 15 yards and a first down and probably value that more than those of us who have seen it for the last four years. Now add the receiver corps and a resurgent running game (and by that I definitely include an offensive line that doesn't blow up every other drive with a penalty and can push a quarterback sneak into the secondary). Last is a defense that turns in a good day's work every outing so far and we see a team that isn't flashy at all...but there is that 5-0 and all wins earned, not given.

I could stomach ascending to the top 10 with a couple more wins, headed into Madison, whether deserved or not. I just don't want to see us get blown out, as we have in past visits. I'd be fine with a close loss to Wisconsin, likely loss the following week... then winning out. That would be a fine improvement on last season.

They would need some improvement in the offensive consistency department in order to keep that one from getting out of hand