Coaches Poll

IDK, I would think Nebraska fans would be happy to be ranked as high as possible at any point in time, whether or not an argument can be made that we may be ranked too high. Assuming we will eventually lose a game(s), doesn't the higher ranking now help prevent us from tumbling as far down the ranks later? I think it would. Isn't one of the goals to be ranked as high as possible at the end of the season? I think it is. So, it leaves me scratching my head why some would seem happier if we were currently ranked worse but more accurately, somewhere between 13 and infinity. It's one thing to posit that we should be say #22, it's another to go on and on about how we are really only a 20+ team and act like it would be better if only these rankings were correct. IMO, the rankings will be correct, regardless, at the end of the season. Let's take whatever breaks we can, when we can.

• Fire 1

IDK, I would think Nebraska fans would be happy to be ranked as high as possible at any point in time, whether or not an argument can be made that we may be ranked too high. Assuming we will eventually lose a game(s), doesn't the higher ranking now help prevent us from tumbling as far down the ranks later? I think it would. Isn't one of the goals to be ranked as high as possible at the end of the season? I think it is. So, it leaves me scratching my head why some would seem happier if we were currently ranked worse but more accurately, somewhere between 13 and infinity. It's one thing to posit that we should be say #22, it's another to go on and on about how we are really only a 20+ team and act like it would be better if only these rankings were correct. IMO, the rankings will be correct, regardless, at the end of the season. Let's take whatever breaks we can, when we can.

Yeah, you'd think so, wouldn't ya? I guess football fans just need somethinganythingto complain about. :lol:

Here's a fun thought experiment:

Team A plays Wyoming 5 times, wins all 5 by an average of 3 scores.

Team A plays Alabama 5 times, wins once, and loses four all by a touchdown or less.

Which team would you rank higher?

I dunno about the ranking. But I'd sure be pissed if we had to play Bama five times in one year.

Or Wyoming, for that matter. :lol:

Actually agree with Dirk on this point:

Here’s what the soothsayer didn’t tell you: Oregon is 2-3. Same for Northwestern. A bad Illinois team came into Memorial Stadium and scared the crap out of 90,000 fans. The Husker offense is beat up, perhaps without Jordan Westerkamp. And Wisconsin is much better than expected.

Would you still be thrilled? Of course. Would you still be making reservations for Indianapolis? Not exactly.

Nebraska has come a long way. Nebraska has a long way to go. Those statements are not contradictions.

Don't forget a poss FSU upset if Miami and we could be staring at 9

Yup. I'm also keeping an eye on Oregon/Washington. Even though they've had some really bad games I still wouldn't count them out.

Start counting...Washington has a real coach now.…

More importantly Oregon has already fumbled and thrown an interception.

Don't forget a poss FSU upset if Miami and we could be staring at 9

Yup. I'm also keeping an eye on Oregon/Washington. Even though they've had some really bad games I still wouldn't count them out.

Start counting...Washington has a real coach now.

More importantly Oregon has already fumbled and thrown an interception.