3 years ago

I got to meet Suh, walk through the Tunnel Walk, hang out in the locker room, and be on the field for that game. Took this video:

I understand that you work in video production and having something like this is cool to see, but does anyone watch big events without having to record video on their phone?

I am sure this is me just being an old man, but isn't there something to experiencing things through your own two eyes and remembering things in your own thoughts? Now get off my lawn!!!

You're entirely right. I completely regret taking this as I can't remember the moment as well as I would have otherwise. It's tough to even recall what was going on in my brain without watching this video. I think that was honestly more to I decided to film it too late so I was super distracted trying to get my camera app open - if I would have made that decision earlier, I would have just held it down and not paid any attention to the screen and been fine.

Live and learn, still one of the coolest days of my life.

I''m not trying to "call you out" and please don't take it like I was. It was just more of a general observation of things. Yeah, I have recorded a song on my phone at a concert, but it seems like so many people spend events just holding up their phone trying to get the best video of it. You did get a cool video of the fan reaction after the Hail Mary happened.

• Fire 1

Interestingly enough as a photographer and filmmaker I spend very, very little time with my phone out trying to document things. I take at least 1 one second long video everyday, but I try to make conscious decisions to live in the moment and experience memories as much as I can.

Best believe I'm taking my camera down to Wrigley tonight though.

Was at the game with my dad. We left at halftime because we got free tickets to a tailgate party at the Championships Club and we were going to return half way through the 3rd quarter.

Had to much fun drinking beer and eating great food that we last track of the time and couldn't get back into the game at the start of the 4th.

Needless to say we could hear the crowd before the TV showed it and some old dude sitting in a law chair put his arms up in the air and calmly said "Touchdown". We all started going crazy and high fiving other Husker fans.

Partied for another hour after the game was over and on our way back to the bridge on the north side, we noticed that the gates in the stadium were open so my dad and I got to walk on the field and get our pictures taken.

On the way home my dad goes "if anybody asks we were in the stadium when the hailmary happened" hahaha

• Fire 3

That was before I even associated myself with Nebraska. The very first game where I was a fan, BYU caught a hail mary in that same end zone :)

Really? What brought you around?

He's a sophomore at the university, I believe.

Bingo. +1.

I was hardcore UCLA before. Which means I was happy when UCLA beat us 41-21 in 2013.

2 miracles on that drive. I still don't know how Ameer got a first down? It was like 4th and forever. Couldn't believe a dump pass on that play. Yelling at TV the entire play and somehow he found a way! Then the Hail Mary.... I'm not sure where it ranks among my favorite endings to a game, but it's up there.

A lot of people forget about that play on 4th down. Man he was awesome.

I got to meet Suh, walk through the Tunnel Walk, hang out in the locker room, and be on the field for that game. Took this video:

I understand that you work in video production and having something like this is cool to see, but does anyone watch big events without having to record video on their phone?

I am sure this is me just being an old man, but isn't there something to experiencing things through your own two eyes and remembering things in your own thoughts? Now get off my lawn!!!

You're entirely right. I completely regret taking this as I can't remember the moment as well as I would have otherwise. It's tough to even recall what was going on in my brain without watching this video. I think that was honestly more to I decided to film it too late so I was super distracted trying to get my camera app open - if I would have made that decision earlier, I would have just held it down and not paid any attention to the screen and been fine.

Live and learn, still one of the coolest days of my life.

I''m not trying to "call you out" and please don't take it like I was. It was just more of a general observation of things. Yeah, I have recorded a song on my phone at a concert, but it seems like so many people spend events just holding up their phone trying to get the best video of it. You did get a cool video of the fan reaction after the Hail Mary happened.

I learned this lesson a while ago, but find myself still falling into the same trap.

We took a trip to France ten years ago. I took, conservatively, 3,000 pictures in two weeks. So many great pictures. But by the time we got back, I felt like I had missed a lot because I was looking through a lens the whole time.

The next time we went I still took photos, but I consciously took far, far fewer. I had a much better time, felt like I saw more, even though I have fewer photos to look back on and remember. But the experience was better.

But then I have this habit of taking pictures or tweeting at Husker games, and I'm sitting there with my dad and sometime last season I thought to myself, "This is stupid. I'm doing it again!" So I stopped tweeting so much during games, and took far fewer photos.

I'm only going to have a few years of going to games with my dad. After that he'll be gone, and all those stupid one-liner tweets won't mean a thing.

• Fire 2

Reality Knapplc. But truth is we all only have so much time. We all love this University. My Grandfather took me to the games, father was never that interested in Nebraska to be honest. Many years ago Grandpa passed away, so many that I am a grandpa, but I still see him there every time it seems. Something makes me smile, no matter how bad the situation might be on the field. He just loved being at the game. He was a giant of man in the 1950's well over 6'7" tall. Everyone knew him, we went on the field before, during and after games. He always smiled, loved the state, the team, the players and Coach Devaney. He always told me, be patient Tom will get it right. He passed after Coach Osborne's first National Title. I had never seen him prouder. And yes he was buried in his Nebraska red blazer and red pants. Born a Husker, lived a Husker, died a Husker.

Mine has always been a love affair with Nebraska, the university and my grandfather. Anytime we lost it was always, We will get them next time little buddy, don't cry. Good wins out. I still try to ;He live by those words.

Was bitching at the TV for roughly 20 minutes, my wife finally went upstairs and heard this:

"Yup, go figure. Can't close against a sh**ty Northwestern team....AGAIN!"

"OH COME ON! You have to get a first down there!"

"Holy crap he actually got away and got the first. Oh well, won't make a difference. To f'ing far away to score. Stupid Tim Beck."

"This is why you're a backup, can't throw for sh#t!"

"Just sling it at the endzone, the damn game is over. Just end it already."

"Get rid of the ball for f........HOLY sh#t HE f'ing CAUGHT IT! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE CAUGHT THAT! HELL YES WESTKERKAMP YOU'RE AMAZING! HOLY sh#t! RON KELLOG IS MY NEW HERO! f#*k YEAH!"

About that time my wife came running downstairs to see why I was losing my mind.

We might be the same person

I was actually thinking the same thing.