3 years ago

I was in the North End Zone, looking straight down the field at the pass. Watched Kellogg throw it, watched it bounce off the pile, watched Westerkamp catch it. Shouted "OH MY GOD HE CAUGHT IT!!" along with everyone else in my section, and immediately the place went crazy.

My biggest concern was that as he was falling forward he didn't catch the ball until he was in the field of play, not in the end zone. Kinda looked that way from our vantage. Watched the refs huddle up as they reviewed it, then went nuts with everyone else after they confirmed it.

There was much high-fiving at that moment.

Was bitching at the TV for roughly 20 minutes, my wife finally went upstairs and heard this:

"Yup, go figure. Can't close against a sh**ty Northwestern team....AGAIN!"

"OH COME ON! You have to get a first down there!"

"Holy crap he actually got away and got the first. Oh well, won't make a difference. To f'ing far away to score. Stupid Tim Beck."

"This is why you're a backup, can't throw for sh#t!"

"Just sling it at the endzone, the damn game is over. Just end it already."

"Get rid of the ball for f........HOLY sh#t HE f'ing CAUGHT IT! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE CAUGHT THAT! HELL YES WESTKERKAMP YOU'RE AMAZING! HOLY sh#t! RON KELLOG IS MY NEW HERO! f#*k YEAH!"

About that time my wife came running downstairs to see why I was losing my mind.

• Fire 4

Was bitching at the TV for roughly 20 minutes, my wife finally went upstairs and heard this:

"Yup, go figure. Can't close against a sh**ty Northwestern team....AGAIN!"

"OH COME ON! You have to get a first down there!"

"Holy crap he actually got away and got the first. Oh well, won't make a difference. To f'ing far away to score. Stupid Tim Beck."

"This is why you're a backup, can't throw for sh#t!"

"Just sling it at the endzone, the damn game is over. Just end it already."

"Get rid of the ball for f........HOLY sh#t HE f'ing CAUGHT IT! OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE HE CAUGHT THAT! HELL YES WESTKERKAMP YOU'RE AMAZING! HOLY sh#t! RON KELLOG IS MY NEW HERO! f#*k YEAH!"

About that time my wife came running downstairs to see why I was losing my mind.

We might be the same person

• Fire 1

I spent the better part of that drive speculating with the fella in front of me who our next coach was gonna be. lol. Then I was in shock when he caught it. hung around for a few minutes, he went to leave and turned to me and said "dont really change a thing does it?" i couldnt disagree.

But what was special about it is My wife and I took, at the time, our 3 year old daugher and my mom. Sat in the north, and as Knapp could relate, it's a royal shitshow to get out of there. So we just sat and waited, probably sat there for close to an hour after talkin to some other folks who did the same. Walked around and helped pick up some trash. I dont know. I'm a strange cat. I get real nostalgic or emotional or whatever you wanna call it in that place. And despite the mediocrity, when I know ive seen something special i get in this weird mood that I dont wanna leave.

• Fire 1

I spent the better part of that drive speculating with the fella in front of me who our next coach was gonna be.

I think everyone did. I attribute Bo's shell-shocked reaction to that catch as him believing he was fired, too. People were ripping on Bo for not being able to be happy about the dramatic win, but I think the man genuinely was preparing to be fired. Hard to immediately rewire your brain after that big of an event.

I spent the better part of that drive speculating with the fella in front of me who our next coach was gonna be.

I think everyone did. I attribute Bo's shell-shocked reaction to that catch as him believing he was fired, too. People were ripping on Bo for not being able to be happy about the dramatic win, but I think the man genuinely was preparing to be fired. Hard to immediately rewire your brain after that big of an event.

he was in total shock. That or literally had another heart attack.

2 miracles on that drive. I still don't know how Ameer got a first down? It was like 4th and forever. Couldn't believe a dump pass on that play. Yelling at TV the entire play and somehow he found a way! Then the Hail Mary.... I'm not sure where it ranks among my favorite endings to a game, but it's up there.

Was at the game in the student section walking down the steps towards the exit as it happened. My friend and I were not going to miss the last play but we wanted to get a head start and see the play from closer to the front as we were way up in the back. We went crazy, left and as we were about to drive home a guy needed his car jumped. I helped him out and he gave me 20 bucks. The luck continued on into the night but I won't get into details

I got to meet Suh, walk through the Tunnel Walk, hang out in the locker room, and be on the field for that game. Took this video:

I understand that you work in video production and having something like this is cool to see, but does anyone watch big events without having to record video on their phone?

I am sure this is me just being an old man, but isn't there something to experiencing things through your own two eyes and remembering things in your own thoughts? Now get off my lawn!!!

• Fire 1

I got to meet Suh, walk through the Tunnel Walk, hang out in the locker room, and be on the field for that game. Took this video:

I understand that you work in video production and having something like this is cool to see, but does anyone watch big events without having to record video on their phone?

I am sure this is me just being an old man, but isn't there something to experiencing things through your own two eyes and remembering things in your own thoughts? Now get off my lawn!!!

You're entirely right. I completely regret taking this as I can't remember the moment as well as I would have otherwise. It's tough to even recall what was going on in my brain without watching this video. I think that was honestly more to I decided to film it too late so I was super distracted trying to get my camera app open - if I would have made that decision earlier, I would have just held it down and not paid any attention to the screen and been fine.

Live and learn, still one of the coolest days of my life.

• Fire 1