Trump's cabinet

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He's doing the opposite of sticking it to Washington.

I know people who love him because he pisses off Democrats. That isn't a good enough reason to vote for or like someone. This isn't a sport. Beating the Democrats means nothing if you do s#!tty things.

I hear from people who voted for Trump...."We would have never uncovered all the corruption in Washington without him".  I'm almost speechless when they say that.  Then, they act appalled when I claim his administration is probably the most corrupt of my lifetime because he brought in a whole new wave of massive corruption hat starts with his kids.

I'm going to have to start asking some of these people, what corruption has he uncovered that you didn't know before?

2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but the bolded bothers me.  There are plenty of sane and logical Republicans out there, and a good portion of them opposed Trump.  Some have tried to deal with him to get something accomplished, not because they agree with him on much of anything.

On the other side there are plenty of Democrats that are insane, corrupt, and impossible to work with.  Where our country has failed is having such a division between the two parties that many people have become so hard-lined that they vote straight tickets and pay absolutely no attention to the individuals.

There are good and bad Republicans.  There are good and bad Democrats.

The only things that will help this country are some common sense and cooperation... and maybe a swift kick in the backside for every politician.

There's only one problem with your "there's good and bad on both sides" assertion. In the past 10 years the Republicans have made it abundantly clear they will not compromise with Democrats for the betterment of the nation. From The Grand Bargain, to immigration, to healthcare, to just this year when Schumer would have funded the wall in exchange for making DACA recipients legal citizens. One party pretty much initiated the scuttling of negotiations when they didn't get exactly what they wanted.

Sure people like Sasse and Flake talk a tough game against Trump, but they are either not running for office again, or their tough talk doesn't match their actions.

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

NM - I remember why I was avoiding the politics forum...

giphy.gif

What did he say that you disagree with? He wasn't saying anything that radical. The GOP made a pact the second Obama was elected to vote against every single measure he supported.

Sure, there's good and bad on both sides. But the Republicans have had a large majority of the "bad" the past 10 years. I'm talking about politicians when I say this, but I'm an independent and I can't understand why "good" Republicans stay Republicans after they nominated a guy like Trump, and then still remain Republicans now.

Edited by Moiraine

37 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

He's doing the opposite of sticking it to Washington.

I know people who love him because he pisses off Democrats. That isn't a good enough reason to vote for or like someone. This isn't a sport. Beating the Democrats means nothing if you do s#!tty things.

This pretty neatly describes internet pro-Trump demographic.

22 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

NM - I remember why I was avoiding the politics forum...

giphy.gif

Let's talk man. What am I missing?

Pelosi is an idiot plain and simple. Schumer is a slickster, but show me where he is super liberal, or hasn't tried to make changes to better the country (I could easily be wrong here). Pretty much 90% of Dems would have been viewed as moderates 20 years ago. The same can not remotely be said of Republicans...

Edited by ZRod

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I hear from people who voted for Trump...."We would have never uncovered all the corruption in Washington without him".  I'm almost speechless when they say that.  Then, they act appalled when I claim his administration is probably the most corrupt of my lifetime because he brought in a whole new wave of massive corruption hat starts with his kids.

I'm going to have to start asking some of these people, what corruption has he uncovered that you didn't know before?

I wish I could say I'm gobsmacked that these Trump voters can't see the corruption he's unleashed, but it's utterly unsurprising.

Relevant piece:

5 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

The "hardline no" stance that the Republicans took when Obama got a second term was the result of them pushing through so many laws without bipartisan support.

It's also the exact same thing the Democrats are doing now.  Though I can't blame them for opposing the lunatic in the White House.

The bolded is simply not true. The timing of it, that is. There was a meeting immediately after Obama was elected the first time that they were going to oppose everything, regardless of what it was. That's why the Democrats had no bipartisan support. Also, there were compromises in the ACA with the GOP which made it worse than what it would have been.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1