Trump's America

zoogs

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ways to take action on this issue can be found here. 

The internet is a utility for everyone to use, let's not commercialize it. 

Sadly, I think our senators have already made up their minds (or cashed the checks), but still; fill up their phone lines. 

• Plus1 2

How the hell does anyone vote Republican right now?  They are working against the interests of average Americans on taxes, healthcare, internet... all stuff that directly impacts their pocketbook in a very negative way, all to give wealthy corporations and the top 1% of Americans tax breaks and more cash.

What in the actual hell are people thinking voting for folks like this? 

• Plus1 5

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How the hell does anyone vote Republican right now?  They are working against the interests of average Americans on taxes, healthcare, internet... all stuff that directly impacts their pocketbook in a very negative way, all to give wealthy corporations and the top 1% of Americans tax breaks and more cash.

they have fallen victim to the brainwashing of the far right propaganda machine.    democrats are more evil than pedophiles.  liberals are the scourge of america.   moderate republicans are traitors.   

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Maybe the problem is that people aren't thinking 

You'll never get the diehards. I just don't believe that right now, at this time, there are actually enough of them in the country that they should be winning elections. The problem is the people who find some other reason to go along with it ... or avoid showing up to oppose it.

Apathy sucks.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I can't.

can you believe this?

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/21/trump-census-pick-causes-alarm-252571

The Trump administration is leaning toward naming Thomas Brunell, a Texas professor with no government experience, to the top operational job at the U.S. Census Bureau, according to two people who have been briefed on the bureau’s plans.

Brunell, a political science professor, has testified more than half a dozen times on behalf of Republican efforts to redraw congressional districts, and is the author of a 2008 book titled “Redistricting and Representation: Why Competitive Elections Are Bad for America.”

Edited by commando
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

As I said before, I don't recognize this party anymore.  I'm so sick of what I'm seeing - it is even worse here in Okla.  The next moderate Dem candidate running in my district - may very well earn my vote without much effort.  Yes, believe it or not there are moderate Dems in Okla.  Senator David Boren, who recently announced his retirement as Pres of OU, - his son Dan was a US House Rep in the district next to mine. I think he had great potential but his district went the other direction as did all of Oklahoma.  When I moved here almost 40 years ago, I believe every house district and both senate seats were held by Dems.  The Reagan revolution started a change but there was still a party power mix for 20 years or so.  But we turned into a total red state maybe 10 years ago including the state house and senate and Governor.  At the time I thought this was a good thing (not so much anymore - see the quote below).  Just a few years prior, all statewide state offices were held by Dems.  Well the state is turning into a Kansas like disaster - not foreseeing the oil decline and not wanting to tax the big oil companies more - we have a $800k deficit that has become an embarrassment and the on going special session which was to fix it isn't getting the job done. 

As the saying goes - "Power Corrupts and Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely".  This applies to one party control of govt at any level. 

Time for a new political party.  I'm becoming convinced that the repubs don't know how to govern and worked best as the counter balance of restraint instead of the lead in govt. However this republican party knows nothing of restraint or balance. 

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, commando said:

As the saying goes - elections have consequences.    Hey why be fair, nonpartisan, ethical when you got the upper hand??  Again this is another appointee who does not have the normal qualifications for the job as the article notes.  But when your agenda is to remake the country in your own image, the only qualification that matters is that you are a supporter of the president.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I read a really interesting discussion on Reddit yesterday talking about whether you can uncouple fiscal policies from social ones. 

I'm beginning to think you can't. 

Republican fiscal policies right now are hot garbage if you're not making 6 figures. But people love guns. And they hate abortion. They are distrustful or actively hostile to immigrants. They get ticked off when NFL players kneel during the anthem or someone "disrespects the troops." They're sick and tired of coastal elites.

Those are powerful motivators. The GOP has cloaked themselves in an American flag and held up a cross. 

This is the only justification I can see for poorer or working-class rural voters going so heavily to the GOP. Right-wing media and Trump's propaganda machine of an administration aren't helping.

31 minutes ago, commando said:

can you believe this?

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/21/trump-census-pick-causes-alarm-252571

The Trump administration is leaning toward naming Thomas Brunell, a Texas professor with no government experience, to the top operational job at the U.S. Census Bureau, according to two people who have been briefed on the bureau’s plans.

Brunell, a political science professor, has testified more than half a dozen times on behalf of Republican efforts to redraw congressional districts, and is the author of a 2008 book titled “Redistricting and Representation: Why Competitive Elections Are Bad for America.”

If Dems and groups that care about a fair democracy don't fight this tooth and nail in courts with everything they've got, they'll have peed away another decade worth of an opportunity for fairer representation.

• Plus1 1