Two years in....no growth

I just read this from first post to last. One thing I did notsee is that we just got our butts kicked along both lines. Phillip (SP) supposedly did such a good job in the S&C area. We were better in the cardio area since we seemed to keep our energy through the 4th quarter. However, Iowa, OSU and Wisky all pushed us around on the lines. This is where you win or lose. Whether it is S&C, coaching or recruiting, we need more animals across the lines.

As for coaching, I think we swung the pendulum too far from Bo's contentious and adversarial approach to MR's aww shucks approach. Gotta say I prefer MR's style but his assts. need to be his balance by demanding some fire from their players. Getting pushed around is just not acceptable.

Iowa had a smart strategy, albeit an obvious one: make Tommy pass. He just isn't accurate enough to beat a team who is fundamentally sound, and it showed in his long passes. Those had nothing to do with his hammy. He would have missed them even if 100% healthy.

Recruiting wise, I agree that this appears to be on the uptick. We still need to land a whale, but the big fish are at least interested. We didn't see much of that under Bo's staff. you can pick out a few that you will try to refute this part with, but overall it feels different in the recruiting phase with this staff.

Lastly, can we just exercise some sort of control and not get personal on these boards? You guys are attacking each other more than the team! This is a HUSKER board, not a POSTER board. Cut the sh#t!

• Fire 3

I had hoped we would have a group of about 21 or so 'committed' and pretty well locked up by now and only be waiting, hoping anxiously for a couple of those 4 stars to finish the class. At this point, though, we need a solid 6 to 8 or more. To finish out, we are gonna have to win this bowl game certainly. We need ten wins and a nice finish. These 3 losses have been rough on the national image no doubt. They have also been rough on the team's psyche although it is troublesome to me that today's young people seem to not care so much about winning or losing. 10 or 15 years ago it seemed that most of the players would really be upset about a loss like this. The few I heard interviewed on the locker room radio show seemed to be talking about it like it was the spring game. Just quite shocking. I know we as fans are far too used to these beatings when we should really be boiling mad, the 'pain' is all but over by five minutes after game's end.

I have not been in the locker room after a game in 10 years so I don't know and never was after a bad loss. At one time, the radio interviewer didn't even go in after a loss because of the upset players and nobody being in a frame of mind to be interviewed 'safely'. Now, one can hardly tell by tone if it was a win or a loss. This is as I say troublesome for me. Am I the only one seeing this?

spot on brother!

"They were kicking our ass... until we kicked theirs. "

Husker fans are the best at twisting.

Well, okay CM, let's take a look at this quarter by quarter then, and we'll see what's been twisted or not.

Prior to 8:45 to go in the 3rd quarter, it was 24-7 Iowa. They had 240 yards of offense, we had 96 yards offense. So please tell me how they weren't kicking our ass in that game until we came back. I'm all ears.

Twist this then cm. We already have TWO big money HCs on the payroll.

Saban already coached in the Big 10. He was a bottom feeder. Not coming.

Meyer - lost to Penn St. Not coming.

Harbrah - lost to Iowa. Not coming.

Who else you got? They ain't coming. Especially if we fire Riley after 2 years.

This program is a shell of its former self due in large part to the last 3 bad hires. We have a massive geographical disadvantage.

At least Riley has some guys looking at us.

He's going to finish his contract no matter what, so STFU and get behind him or go be a Youngstown St. fan. Simple as that.

I haven't called for him to be fired. In fact, I said the opposite several times.

Just wish people would quit the lying, blaming and self-deluding I've seen displayed in their efforts to justify a .500 coaching staff doing what they've always done.

I disagree that he'll be allowed to finish his contract no matter what. A losing season next year would easily jeopardize that.

• Fire 1

"They were kicking our ass... until we kicked theirs. "

Husker fans are the best at twisting.

Well, okay CM, let's take a look at this quarter by quarter then, and we'll see what's been twisted or not.

Prior to 8:45 to go in the 3rd quarter, it was 24-7 Iowa. They had 240 yards of offense, we had 96 yards offense. So please tell me how they weren't kicking our ass in that game until we came back. I'm all ears.

Point is, it's amusing how you twist a win into somehow being as bad as a 40-10 loss.

And wait a tick... I thought people always whine that the ex staff couldn't adjust and make comebacks?

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

We won at least 9 every year under Bo. When MR was hired it was stated that there would be no regression to rebuild. Last year was worse than Callahan, and this year we had the easiest schedule in the history of college football, and did worse than any of Bo's seasons.

• Fire 1

If you're embarrassed losing to Ohio state and Iowa and looking for a regime change to hurry up and be a national title contender you're screwed. Iowa maxes out our 2-3 star recruits on both sides of the ball but we are WAY to predictable. Ohio state follows a similar pattern with 4 stars recruits they get due to winning for so long and Meyer of course. You'll never get there in the big10 firing coaches and trying to build a hurry up dynasty around a couple high end recruits. I thought you had a good season? Don't pretend you're an Ohio state or Michigan - get behind your mid level blue collar kids through consistent development. Then maybe you'll have something. Your players were gassed in the 4th and I'm not sure why but maybe a better S.T. coach. Riley is a good coach. Probably has more trickeration than Ferentz too. Don't can the guy based on some delusion that's unearned AT THIS point.

• Fire 1

If you're embarrassed losing to Ohio state and Iowa and looking for a regime change to hurry up and be a national title contender you're screwed. Iowa maxes out our 2-3 star recruits on both sides of the ball but we are WAY to predictable. Ohio state follows a similar pattern with 4 stars recruits they get due to winning for so long and Meyer of course. You'll never get there in the big10 firing coaches and trying to build a hurry up dynasty around a couple high end recruits. I thought you had a good season? Don't pretend you're an Ohio state or Michigan - get behind your mid level blue collar kids through consistent development. Then maybe you'll have something. Your players were gassed in the 4th and I'm not sure why but maybe a better S.T. coach. Riley is a good coach. Probably has more trickeration than Ferentz too. Don't can the guy based on some delusion that's unearned AT THIS point.

+1

Bad coaching disguises good talent.

Far more than bad talent disguises good coaching.

Wake up.

I'd say good coaching disguised a 7-8 win team and got us 9 wins. Heck maybe 10 if they can get the right bowl matchup. Not to mention they are running an offense they have to run not one they want to run.

You never bothered to wonder why your lord and savior Bo Pelini couldn't do better than 9-4/10-4 in his 7 seasons? Lack of talent bc he didn't recruit enough of it. He put a ceiling on the program that can only be broken through with recruiting and development.

Whether Riley does that remains to be seen but I can hardly hold a 9 or 10 win season against him in year 2.

We won at least 9 every year under Bo. When MR was hired it was stated that there would be no regression to rebuild. Last year was worse than Callahan, and this year we had the easiest schedule in the history of college football, and did worse than any of Bo's seasons.

This statement is so incorrect that it's laughable. Road trips to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa is not an easy schedule.