Sipple: No good excuses for being pummeled by ordinary Iowa team

Saunders

For Nebraska (9-3, 6-3), this defeat looked and felt awful for almost too many reasons to list.

Some folks will try to tell you it was a sign of the poor recruiting by the previous Nebraska coaching staff. But there's a problem with that tired song and dance: Iowa isn't exactly a juggernaut when it comes to recruiting rankings.

According to Rivals.com, Iowa's recruiting classes from 2012-16 were ranked 44th, 51st, 56th, 59th and 42nd.

During the same span, Nebraska's classes were 26th, 17th, 32nd, 28th and 26th.

Thing is, I don't need recruiting rankings to tell me what I already know, which is Iowa has no business beating this Nebraska team by 30 points, just as Ohio State had no business winning 62-3 on Nov. 5.

You'll hear misguided people say, "Well, Nebraska just isn't that good." But those people will look at you with blank stares when you point out that NU went toe-to-toe with Wisconsin only a month ago, and actually looked every bit as talented as the Badgers.

Which tells you there are systemic failures in Riley's program. There is simply no other way to explain Iowa dominating Nebraska to such a significant extent.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-no-good-excuses-for-being-pummeled-by/article_2711612d-a582-5331-8fb6-c46a05a08a21.htm

• Fire 1

Blank stares, Sipple? We had a much healthier QB against Wisconsin. Wisconsin's offense isn't very good either. I agree getting blown out by Iowa was a little surprising, but not really. Tommy couldn't move. So all he could do was stay in the pocket and throw which is death for us. Iowa's D knew that so they keyed on our run game and shut it down easily. We were one dimensional and easy to stop.

The D stunk. The game plan was to stop the run and they still got gashed. Missed tackles. Overrunning plays. I can't stand Banker and wanted him fired while he was at OSU, but he put them into positions to win yesterday. The kids didn't make plays. It is that simple. Blank stares indeed.

Go back to NU being NU. Its who we were and are.... We need a dose of physicality across the board.

Look at the Get along gangs productivity and results at OSU.......... Why would a career .504 coach, who brought his staff (that many OSU wanted gone years ago) have better results here?

Because 504 is amazing at OSU. In my four years at OSU, we won 5 games.....total.

• Fire 3

Couple points: 1. Who says thos recruiting rankings are accurate - We may be more like 35th and Iowa maybe 30th and we are simply so beat up and have no second string after far too many transfers, quits, etc. 2. We won a bunch of close games (and lost a number of close games last year) against teams of our caliber but by time we hit Wisconsin, our 'one deeps' were getting worn down and injuries took their toll and by the time Ohio State got down beating the living sh==t out of what was left, we have been clinging to dear life ever since. Iowa, the dam broke.

In my view all very understandable as to how it happened BUT also unacceptable as to why it happened! We must have more and better players who are given adequate coaching and repetitions and development so they too can be major contributors to the team effort. This play the starting 22 and let the rest ride the pine all year is BS in my view. lWe are building a program for future championships. The out years more than this year. That means play the young enough to be sure that next year we return about 20 'same as starters' in experience. Confidence comes from repetitions and experience under pressure. You only get it from playing.

Go back to NU being NU. Its who we were and are.... We need a dose of physicality across the board.

Look at the Get along gangs productivity and results at OSU.......... Why would a career .504 coach, who brought his staff (that many OSU wanted gone years ago) have better results here?

Because 504 is amazing at OSU. In my four years at OSU, we won 5 games.....total.
No one cares about this. Yes he is a .500 coach at a program that was .400 before he arrived, what do people expect?? This is a case previous record is not determinant of how Riley might do here

No one cares about this. Yes he is a .500 coach at a program that was .400 before he arrived, what do people expect?? This is a case previous record is not determinant of how Riley might do here

But it just might be. Why do we think a coach that has not had overwhelming success anywhere will here?

I think it is a good predictor....... Better facilities, better athletes and still the blow outs.....still losing to good competition.....only beating "lesser" teams.......HE might be a great coach. HE might be the man to get us to the next level. HE isn't going to with the anchors around his neck that he calls his staff.....

• Fire 1

Why did Iowa beat Nebraska 40-10?

Because offensively we had to rely on a Quarterback with a busted hamstring to chuck it around who has never been that accurate chucking it around. Defensively I have no clue what the hell happened, that was just piss poor on staff and players alike.

• Fire 7

But it just might be. Why do we think a coach that has not had overwhelming success anywhere will here?

Anderson got worked over in his first year at OSU...this year they had a lot of closer games but mostly still losses. They have their best recruiting class coming in forever and right now they are ranked 6th in the Pac12...Riley was usually ranked around 9.

Anderson seems to be proving that you can in fact recruit (a little bit) to OSU and that their weight room is not just two mismatched dumbbells and a solo-flex...It will not shock me at all if they win 7 games next year and start an upward swing.

Imho...you lost because your program is built around a few select star players. Iowa played you with our own banged up QB wearing a damn keg under his jersey and without our best receiver. We max out our 2 star utility players on both sides of the ball and your coach hasn't had time to do it yet. We r predictable. Riley doesn't have to be. That might be your key to a conference championship someday. Calling your Iowa loss unacceptable is an entitled losing attitude that I guarantee Michigan didn't adopt and you are no Michigan...yet. Was this not a good season for you?

Imho...you lost because your program is built around a few select star players. Iowa played you with our own banged up QB wearing a damn keg under his jersey and without our best receiver. We max out our 2 star utility players on both sides of the ball and your coach hasn't had time to do it yet. We r predictable. Riley doesn't have to be. That might be your key to a conference championship someday. Calling your Iowa loss unacceptable is an entitled losing attitude that I guarantee Michigan didn't adopt and you are no Michigan...yet. Was this not a good season for you?

No...it wasn't a good season.

It was fun, still loved partying for the games but the season wasn't really good. It was about what we expected.

We should not lose to Iowa. That is not entitled, it's the truth. Sorry, not sorry if it offends a Hawkeye. We have been more talented than Iowa across the board every year we played. This school has the money, resources, and fan base to make Iowa our KSU; the administration and coaches have been lacking.

We have a sorely bagned up O line with no depth. And our mobile QB was immobile and even more ineffective throwing because of it. That is why we lost. You go up against a healthy TA or O line and Iowa is not coming away with a win.

Why did Iowa beat Nebraska 40-10?

Because offensively we had to rely on a Quarterback with a busted hamstring to chuck it around who has never been that accurate chucking it around. Defensively I have no clue what the hell happened, that was just piss poor on staff and players alike.

This is not what we HAD to do.

It is what we chose to do.

• Fire 4