So is O'Brien a bust

Lots of (silly) people think because a very small handful of true freshmen quarterbacks have been great in the history of college football, any freshman who is not great is automatically a bust.

I don't think people are saying he is a bust.
Topic title - and post saying Armstrong should've been the back up.

No... we've always been at war with Eurasia

You guys do realize that Tommy was the reason we won as many games as we did this year? He put so many games on his back.

Yup.

I have never in the 20 years of dealing with Husker internet message board seen this many butt-hurt fans.

Lots of things I have read in the past 24 hours are simply irrational and scream of getting whipped by your rival.

I hope my comments were not taken as anything against Tommy. My comments were about coaching preparation for each and every coming year. The past two staffs have been locked on and did very little to prepare for a disaster.

Anyone watching the game last night, that follows the Huskers know that Tommy was not even close to being 100%. Pretty sure Ryker would have been a fumbling machine, and Darlington will never see the field as a running QB (IMHO). So in my opinion we wasted a year of teaching a young QB the ropes of big time college football, that might have been an option for us last night. Tommy crippled was better than anything available on the bench.

I think we as a program need to start winning these type of games, not planning for two years down the road. Wisconsin was winnable. We beat a good Minnesota team. Iowa is about the same as those two in my eyes. But not with a crippled running QB. Too many kids worked their guts out to not have a real chance to win. The staff put this team in that situation. Not Tommy.

And I consider myself one of Riley's biggest fans. But I think you need to see things as they are, not just what you want them to be.

Also, as Zoogs stated I see progress, I am satisfied with 9-3 at this point. We had a lot of injuries along the Oline and a dinged up QB for the last 4 games. I just want the staff planning for right now, not what we might have in two years. Also as Bama and Oklahoma coaches have stated, you recruit for players that can come in and play, not projects.

Really interested to see what kind of QB race we have next year. Without improved OL play I am not sure it makes a difference. Looking forward to it though. I just want the best player to emerge as the starter. I have to admit I am not high on Lee. Not like Baker Mayfield is coming in...the guy played at Tulane? But if he is good then I will gladly eat crow. Word is Gebbia gets rid of the ball fast which is what we may need if our OL can't protect. I am not sure how much POB can run when flushed.

Because he did not even compete for the job!

How many true freshman QB's actually start? The answer is very few. He wasn't ready.

Happens quite a bit . I remember TMart. Touchdown Tommie started as freshmen.
Martinez was a redshirt freshman and Frazier is the exception and no the rule.
  • Fire 2

How many true freshman QB's actually start? The answer is very few. He wasn't ready.

Taylor Martinez was a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. Coincidently, so was Tommy Armstrong. Turner Gill played on the freshman team. Tommie Frazier started as a true freshman. He is the only one I know of that worked out well at Nebraska. Even the Heisman winners recently were REDSHIRTS. Now we have people calling a kid a bust that has never played before??? Holy sh#t people.

• Fire 1

Taylor Martinez was a redshirt freshman, not a true freshman. Coincidently, so was Tommy Armstrong. Turner Gill played on the freshman team. Tommie Frazier started as a true freshman. He is the only one I know of that worked out well at Nebraska. Even the Heisman winners recently were REDSHIRTS. Now we have people calling a kid a bust that has never played before??? Holy sh#t people.

No kidding. People seem to hold Osborne as some sort of standard. Look at his player development. It was tough to cracking the depth chart as an underclassmen.

Really interested to see what kind of QB race we have next year. Without improved OL play I am not sure it makes a difference. Looking forward to it though. I just want the best player to emerge as the starter. I have to admit I am not high on Lee. Not like Baker Mayfield is coming in...the guy played at Tulane? But if he is good then I will gladly eat crow. Word is Gebbia gets rid of the ball fast which is what we may need if our OL can't protect. I am not sure how much POB can run when flushed.

I agree with you. Why do we have so much faith in a transfer from the football powerhouse of Tulane? I am not looking forward to an immobile QB fling the ball around next year.

I agree with you. Why do we have so much faith in a transfer from the football powerhouse of Tulane? I am not looking forward to an immobile QB fling the ball around next year.

I'm also worried with having to depend on a bunch of young receivers and tight ends. No matter how talented they are, they aren't gonna be consistent route runners and always have the same read as the QB.

No kidding. People seem to hold Osborne as some sort of standard. Look at his player development. It was tough to cracking the depth chart as an underclassmen.

This is not true. TO routinely played 2nd and 3rd string players. I remember a few games with participation of more than 100 players. TO even put the 2nd string QB in for the 2nd quarter against weak teams early in the year (Frankie London against Central Florida in 1996). TO routinely had 2 or even 3 back sharing the load.